Malaysian airliner missing and feared lost

EZEtoGRU
This topic is 959 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

""Yahya, the airline CEO, said the 53-year-old pilot, Zaharie Ahmad Shah, has more than 18,000 flying hours and has been flying for Malaysia Airlines since 1981. The first officer, 27-year-old Fariq Hamid, has about 2,800 hours of experience and has flown for the airline since 2007.""

A 27 year old co-pilot, flying commercial since 20 years old?? WTF.

Hello?

So you're saying that the co-pilot screwed up?

I believe being 27 years old is a bit young to be flying a 'Heavy' [The term 'Heavy' is applied to all radio transmissions with air traffic control from aircraft capable of takeoff weights of 300,000 pounds or more].

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_(aviation)

Now it is emerging that First Officer Fariq was entertaining young South African girls in the cockpit during an entire flight, and during a lay-over.

MTF (more to follow)...

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.1718040.1394566467!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_635/article-cockpit-0311.jpg

• 5 months later...

Relatives of MH370 missing say authorities have turned on them

Family members of those missing on Malaysia Airlines flight allege open hostility, even beatings

(South China Morning Post)

http://www.scmp.com/sites/default/files/styles/486x302/public/2014/09/08/mh370family.jpg?itok=FrnKVP7n

Six months after Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 went missing, relatives of those lost, desperate for any hint of what happened, say Chinese authorities have become openly hostile towards them.

Several relatives have described being detained and physically abused by police - seemingly in retaliation for publicly pressing Chinese and Malaysia Airlines authorities for information about the hunt for the plane.

"In the beginning, Beijing police were protecting us, but their attitude has completely changed," said Cheng Liping, 38, whose husband was on the flight.

"I can't fathom why they're doing this. I feel so incredibly disappointed."

The Boeing 777 aircraft carrying 239 passengers and crew disappeared on March 8 after taking off from Malaysia's capital, Kuala Lumpur, bound for Beijing. About two-thirds of those on board were from China.

Investigators say what little evidence they have suggests the plane was deliberately diverted thousands of kilometres from its scheduled route before plunging into the Indian Ocean.

But no one knows for sure, or why. A painstaking international search has failed to find any trace.

For the relatives, neither their pain nor their quest for answers has eased, and that seems to have become an annoyance for China's authorities. Police had beaten at least two people whose children were on the flight, several family members said. In one case, a woman in her 50s landed in hospital for three days.

"I went to see her in hospital. I could see the injuries on her head and body," said Zhang Yongli, 64, whose daughter was on the flight. "The way the police acted was very extreme, it's wrong to treat us this way."

Beijing police did not respond to requests for comment.

The government has repeatedly said it would spare no effort in the search and leaders have expressed sympathy for the families. Public security authorities have not commented on the families but Malaysia Airlines said distraught relatives had sometimes been aggressive.

Some relatives said they believed their homes were being watched. Police have detained people several times at an office the government has set up in a Beijing suburb where families can go to seek information about the search from Malaysia Airlines and government representatives.

Detentions usually lasted for about 24 hours, said the families and their lawyer. Police had cited various reasons, family members said, including a rule against large gatherings. In a couple of cases, children were taken into custody with adult relatives.

In at least two other cases, relatives say, police went to family members' homes before dawn to detain them without a reason.

"On some level I can understand why the police are doing this - perhaps they're used to only dealing with bad people," said Liu Wanyi, 26, whose husband was on the plane. "But we're not seeking to antagonise the government in any way."

In the weeks after the flight disappeared, when media attention was intense, police were a constant presence at the Beijing hotel where the airline put up the families and held daily meetings.

But as the story faded from the news, authorities became less supportive, the families say.

"Honestly, I can't endure this," Cheng said. "My life has completely changed, I can't manage to work anymore."

source: http://www.scmp.com/news/china/article/1587448/relatives-mh370-missing-say-authorities-have-turned-them

• 10 months later...

There have been four crashes involving the Boeing 777.

Maylasian Airlines Flight 370, most likely shot down in a military accident over the Indian Ocean.

Maylasian Airlines Flight 17, crashed in Ukraine, again possibly a military accident.

Asiana Airlines Flight 214, which crashed on landing in San Francisco, possibly due to faulty computer code.

British Airways Flight 38, crashed short of the runway at London Heathrow, blamed in icing in the fuel lines.

Since only one 777 was lost over the Indian Ocean, we can conclude from process of elimination that the flaperon found on Reunion Island is part of the missing Maylasian Airlines Flight 370.

What I don't understand is the piece of LUGGAGE also found, how difficult would it be to match THAT to a PERSON? Even if ALL identifying labels have disintergrated surely there is SOME content inside that might lead to an identity or something that can be identified by a M370 relative no??

What I don't understand is the piece of LUGGAGE also found, how difficult would it be to match THAT to a PERSON? Even if ALL identifying labels have disintergrated surely there is SOME content inside that might lead to an identity or something that can be identified by a M370 relative no??

I think all the found pieces are going to be examined this weekend in France

Since only one 777 was lost over the Indian Ocean, we can conclude from process of elimination that the flaperon found on Reunion Island is part of the missing Maylasian Airlines Flight 370.

One article I read said that it would be possible to obtain 777 parts, if one had money and the intent to cause confusion.

One article I read said that it would be possible to obtain 777 parts, if one had money and the intent to cause confusion.

Most every aircraft component bigger than a rivet is what manufacturing industry calls a "serialized part": Each individual part bears a unique serial number used to maintain a traceable log of that part's lifecycle, from manufacture and quality inspection throughout its service life. It would have to be a rather insider job to credibly spoof that serial number on this part.

Most every aircraft component bigger than a rivet is what manufacturing industry calls a "serialized part": Each individual part bears a unique serial number used to maintain a traceable log of that part's lifecycle, from manufacture and quality inspection throughout its service life. It would have to be a rather insider job to credibly spoof that serial number on this part.

Yes, but even an obviously spoofed serial number would cause confusion. It's headline news now even though no one knows where it came from.

Yes, but even an obviously spoofed serial number would cause confusion. It's headline news now even though no one knows where it came from.

Granted most anything can make headlines. Does that mean much?

I only meant that once the part gets into the hands of the professionals in Toulouse, any such sham would be pretty quickly detected.

I don't buy into the notion that someone would purchase 777 parts and toss them into the ocean to cause confusion.

Réunion is a long way from the area in which the search was conducted. It is interesting to speculate about the strength of Indian Ocean currents, if the plane went down where the main searches were centered, or whether perhaps the plane was headed toward Mauritius or Réunion and didn't make it.

The Titanic hit an iceberg. Amelia Earhart ran out of gas. Marilyn forgot and took too many pills. Doesn't history tell us that the "simplest" (and yes least sensatioinal) explination is usually the right one?? PS I just read a pop-up this afternoon that says they "now" are leaning towards the found wing flap NOT being from a triple7. Anyone else see that? I can't find it again.

The Titanic hit an iceberg. Amelia Earhart ran out of gas. Marilyn forgot and took too many pills. Doesn't history tell us that the "simplest" (and yes least sensatioinal) explination is usually the right one?? PS I just read a pop-up this afternoon that says they "now" are leaning towards the found wing flap NOT being from a triple7. Anyone else see that? I can't find it again.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/02/world/mh370-debris-investigation/index.html

I thought they were fairly certain that the part came from a triple 7. Plus more debris washed up today, so that is encouraging. Perhaps at long last we at least begin to get some answers.

Edited by bigvalboy

Réunion is a long way from the area in which the search was conducted. It is interesting to speculate about the strength of Indian Ocean currents, if the plane went down where the main searches were centered, or whether perhaps the plane was headed toward Mauritius or Réunion and didn't make it.

We say La Réunion (Reunion Island) ;)