"Queer Eye for Straight Guy"

Funseeker 22
This topic is 7631 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Did anyone of you happen to see this new series on Bravo last night?

It`s an absolutely hilarious show about 5 gay guys who do a complete apartment and personal makeover of a straight guy. Very funny lines are thrown around by the 5 guys and the look on the straight guy`s face is priceless.

For SoCal viewers the show is on again today at 6pm.

Also on the same channel today they are showing the Antiques Roadshow immediately followed by Cher`s Farewell Tour. I guess these two kinda go together ?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RE:

>Did anyone of you happen to see this new series on Bravo last

>night?

I saw most of it when BRAVO repeated the first two episodes late last night. It was handled very deftly by the writers and producers, who managed to see to it that some amusing moments were included and none of the participants was made to look ridiculous. Nevertheless, it does serve to reinforce popular stereotypes of gay men. To some of us it seems best that those stereotypes and all who exemplify them should be locked in a trunk and thrown into the ocean.

>Also on the same channel today they are showing the Antiques

>Roadshow immediately followed by Cher`s Farewell Tour. I guess

>these two kinda go together ?

What was I just saying about stereotypes?

:)

RE:

I saw "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy" last night, and I thought it was a blast. I thought it was well done for a show of that type, and despite stereotypes, it showed gay men who just want to help, and make the world more beautiful. I'll take that stereotype.

It is kind of a cross between "Fashion Emergeny" and "While You Were Out". And unlike "Trading Spaces", at least Queer Eye admits that all the men are gay!

It made me think of a few things, like, "I wish those guys would come and fix up my life.", and then I remembered that I AM GAY, and I am lucky enough to have people in my life that do those things for me. I have a stylist friend who tries to keep me pretty, and I have a designer friend who makes me keep my house slylish. I have lots of "life style" coaches. I may need a little more fashion advice though.

Some minor criticsms about the first two episodes:

Why on earth did the food guy think that those people on Long Island would like fois gras? No one really like fois gras.

And couldn't we get the hair guy to do something with the fashion guys haircut?

Guest pshaw

RE:

Last week the Washington Post had a column describing a Q&A session that Bravo held for the press on the show. An excerpt:

One critic suggested that the five men represented virtually every gay stereotype.

"Not every one," shot back fashionista Carson Kressley. "We don't have a florist."

Another skeptical critic wondered how it would go over if Bravo bought a series in which each week five straight guys made over a gay guy to be more like them.

"It's called high school," snapped Kressley, who is definitely the breakout star of this series.

Queer Eye

I liked it as well. Despite being a candidate for a makeover.

My favorite line..."I said catwalk, not walk like a weird little troll."

I thought it was going to suck and I was pleasantly surprised.

Jeff

RE:

>it does serve to reinforce

>popular stereotypes of gay men. To some of us it seems best

>that those stereotypes and all who exemplify them should be

>locked in a trunk and thrown into the ocean.

I wouldn't go that far but I do find these types of shows offensive. Haven't we seen enough depictions of this type in movies and on television for decades? I know and meet quite a few gay men who have no sense of "style", and quite a few straight men who do. I was just having a heated (on her side) argument with a straight friend who told me I am too sensitive about gay stereotypes but I disagree. I would find it equally repugnant if it were about any other minority. "Nigga Eye for the Cracker", anyone?

Guest LG320126

RE:

I indeed did happen across this show and also thought it was hilarious. I caught the 2 episodes that were shown and look forward to future airings. I was disappointed that the one little cute guy (I think over etiquette or style or something) was not in the second show and sure hope he reappears in future episodes.

Also of major importance to me was the advertisements for Bravo's upcoming series "Boy Meets Boy" to premier on July 29th - looks yummy! Let's hope so. }( Maybe with the advent of legal gay sex in the U.S. and legal gay marriage elsewhere, there will be more and more players batting for our side.

RE:

I watched that re-airing of the first 2 episodes with my wife and 15-y/o daughter. We thought it was a blast -- and actually learned a few good tips from each guy. While I'm closeted and my family isn't exactly gay-friendly (though not homophobic), we were all entertained by the show in positive ways -- I didn't hear one disparaging remark from my family. Stereotypes or not, I think that the show has the positive impact of bringing gays more into the mainstream.

RE:

I liked the Flaming Blond most of all. In my opinion he stole the show. His lines were infamous. Like when someone said, Is that Soy Sauce? He replied Soy Sauce or Boy Sauce! When they walked into the apartment after shopping he said, "Oh Look - They put a living room where the Crack Den used to be." When someone said, Why do all the men at the party have long hair? He replied, Oh Please - They look like a bunch of Branch Dividians!

He truly reminded me of Emery from The Boys in the Band. HIS classic line was - when the young hustler said he had to leave the birthday party early. He was doing chin ups at the gym and he fell on his heals. Emery replied, "Honey - you shouldn't where heels when you do chin-ups!"

RE:

My "issues" with this show:

I thought that, overall, it was pretty boring. Other than the fashion guy, none of them were particulary interesting (though the grooming guy is hot!). And the fashion guy got old pretty fast. He did have some amusing one-liners, but he comes across as a cliched character, to me. And speaking of "fashion," I was aghast and what the fashion guy wore (really UGLY clothes, if you ask me) and recommended. Maybe I'm just too old and out of it. Is this really what the "height" of fashion is for gay 20-somethings now? It looked to me like they were thrift store clothes.

I will admit that the makeover of the artist was pretty successful, if only in the grooming department. His clothes were different but still ugly. His apartment looked much better, but I think that's because it was cleaned up, not because of any "design" that went into it.

MTV's House of Style

Has anyone ever caught MTV, with Todd Oldham (see below):

>My "issues" with this show:

>

>I thought that, overall, it was pretty boring. Other than the

>fashion guy, none of them were particulary interesting (though

>the grooming guy is hot!). And the fashion guy got old pretty

>fast. He did have some amusing one-liners, but he comes

>across as a cliched character, to me.

I think that having the show is, generally, positive. It is easier for most people to identify with cliches, what are most sitcoms, even well done and intelligent ones such as The Simpson[//i], but a collection of such stereotypes?

If you look at the first episodes of Will & Grace, Karen and Jack's characters are more simplistic and narrowly drawn than they are now. I still do not watch the show regularly but when I do catch it now, I recognize that they have come to a more complete and three dimensional portrait of them.

Hopefully, that is what will happen with this particular show. I agree with Mr. Munroe to the extent that it would be nice to see more genuine representations of the type that I see in my clients, in my friends and in any city I travel to. But in entertainment, particularly when something is edited down and they are trying to both appeal to the highest numbers with the broadest type of presentation.

Todd Oldham used to appear on MTV's House of Style years ago (perhaps he still does?) doing something very similar and it was always clear he was a gay man without being either flaming, "outgoing" or catty. He was intelligent, witty, and showed genuine talent. I would prefer to see a show with five gay men like Todd Oldham if there are going to be any heterosexuals who would confuse me or my gay friends for someone they see on television.

RE:

Well stated Rick! The entertainment industry, especially in regards to tv, can't possibly get any worse can it?

After reading the preshowing review in the W. Post, I made a point of deliberately not watching this show. Just what I need to see, another tired retake on the stereotypes of screaming, bitchy, limp wristed nelly fags who know all about hair styling, interior decorating, makeup and fashion and the poor slobby clueless straight men. All this type of show does is reinforce both sterotypes which beget yet more shows portraying the same stereotypes which beget, which beget, and nauseum.

I just hope this doesn't inspire yet more of these types of shows (maybe Lesbians Learning the Ladies? where all those butch dykes teach str8 girls how to fix the plumbing, fix the auto and ride cycles?).

The lack of imagination in tv programming is absolutely appalling! A few years ago, the new magazine show was a hit on one network then they were on every network every night, then ala Who Wants to a Millionare it shifted to game shows every night on every network, and now the so-called Reality shows ad nauseum with the talent search shows following hot and heavy on the heels of American Idol popping up all over.

BORING!!!!!!!!!!! I never watch any of the so called trendy trash tv and never will.

RE:

Thank you-- Rick! I wholly applaud your sentiments.. When I saw the advertisements, I immediately spoke aloud: do we need this?

Put more honestly depicted SHOWS about gays In the mainstream media, for our plights have not been rectified nor have we been 100% accepted by NO means!

RE:

>My "issues" with this show:

>

>I thought that, overall, it was pretty boring. Other than the

>fashion guy, none of them were particulary interesting (though

>the grooming guy is hot!). And the fashion guy got old pretty

>fast. He did have some amusing one-liners, but he comes

>across as a cliched character, to me. And speaking of

>"fashion," I was aghast and what the fashion guy wore (really

>UGLY clothes, if you ask me) and recommended. Maybe I'm just

>too old and out of it. Is this really what the "height" of

>fashion is for gay 20-somethings now? It looked to me like

>they were thrift store clothes.

That's Marc Jacobs for you. Marc's line is one of the most successful on the planet right now, but because the show is apparently sponsored by a designer each episode (the first one, everyone wore Marc, the second was all Etro) they all wear stuff that the sponsor is shilling. The bad thing about the fashion guy is that, from all the clothing he pulled from Marc's line, he put together a heinous outfit that neither fit his coloring NOR his age! That's a pretty major fashion faux pas, especially from a purported "Fashion Style Gay." Marc may be a top designer but he can make ugly clothing too, and it seems the Fashion Guy (who I agree, has TERRIBLE hair) put all of them together at once!

And yeah, fashion can get pretty ugly to the general public, so it's no surprise. I work in the industry (and had quite a few issues with the Fashion Guys's advice - man, if this ever was a case for the old adage, "physician, heal thyself" indeed!), so I know what he was trying to pull. It may not necessarily work across the board, but I have to say, the 5 guys were all pretty spot on as far as being how quite a few New York fashionistas talk and style (albeit hyped up for tv). It's a very uncommon stereotype, but they exist, particularly in my industries here in Manhattan.

By the by, reports have it that Queer Eye was the HIGHEST rated show EVER, for Bravo! Not that that's much of a stretch - it IS Bravo! ;)

Guest LG320126

RE:

OK - news update. Just announced on Entertainment Tonight that QE is such a big success on Bravo that NBC is considering picking up the show and is going to air a half hour segment. I think that speaks for itself. :-)

RE:

>OK - news update. Just announced on Entertainment Tonight

>that QE is such a big success on Bravo that NBC is considering

>picking up the show and is going to air a half hour segment.

>I think that speaks for itself. :-)

of course that speaks for itself................if the networks want it ...........that proves it ain't worth a syphilitic rats shit

Guest LG320126

RE:

>>OK - news update. Just announced on Entertainment Tonight

>>that QE is such a big success on Bravo that NBC is

>considering

>>picking up the show and is going to air a half hour segment.

>

>>I think that speaks for itself. :-)

>

>

>

>

>of course that speaks for itself................if the

>networks want it ...........that proves it ain't worth a

>syphilitic rats shit

In your opinion that is.

RE:

Though I do like some shows on network TV, I don't think that NBC picking this up would mean anything other than that they believe they can make money by doing so. Given the current fancy regarding "reality" shows that can be produced for very little money (because there are no "stars" demanding $1,000,000 per episode), the networks will happily program the worst garbage if the ratings are high enough.

No, I don't think "Queer Eye" is as pathetic as "Fear Factor" -- could anything else be that bad? -- but I still found it boring last night. I couldn't even make myself watch the whole thing.

Archived