"Queer Eye for Straight Guy"

Funseeker 22
This topic is 7617 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

RE:

>I think this complaint is dated.

You're absolutely right and I just realized why. My TV is usually -- but not exclusively -- tuned to TV Land or whatever other channel is showing classic pre-80's television (the only exception would be my current addiction, The Nanny on Lifetime, which makes me laugh out loud). In too many of those shows, there will periodically either be a reference to or an actual depiction to the archetypal flaming fag. A recent episode of Sanford and Son made me want to go dig up Redd Foxx and wring his homophobic neck. x(

>To name a few examples, "the

>gay guy" characters on Roseanne, Suddenly Susan, Spin City,

>and Dawson's Creek

Well, you're referring to secondary characters in shows that are primarily about straights. Yes, there was Ellen, who opened the door for Will & Grace but on that show, one's effeminate & the one who isn't is sexless/relationshipless, no? I'm not saying that Queer Eye is a horribly damaging program, and you have opened my eyes to a few positive aspects of the show. I just think we could do so much better. Hopefully, like you said, this show will pave the way so we can have something good, like a Mad About You featuring a gay couple. Now that is something I would watch (well, years later when it's on TV Land). ;-)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived