What an amazing world we live in...

Guy Fawkes
This topic is 4160 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

What an amazing world we live in; Where a person in Singapore 8,000 miles away can siphon all the money in your bank account and take it to almost $400 overdrawn.

I caught it before it posted and the bank was able to remove the charges while they were in the authorization phase. The debit card associated with the fraudulent card has been canceled. The new card will be here Wednesday, in time for the trip.

Now if I could just figure out why I'm so grumpy. I think I'm going to go buy some long sleeve shirts for the trip. Oh wait... [Censored]Son a bitching, mother fuckers!

http://www.helpful.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/article_image/images/credit_card_debt_scissors_cut_finances.jpg

What an amazing world we live in; Where a person in Singapore 8,000 miles away can siphon all the money in your bank account and take it to almost $400 overdrawn.

I caught it before it posted and the bank was able to remove the charges while they were in the authorization phase. The debit card associated with the fraudulent card has been canceled. The new card will be here Wednesday, in time for the trip.

Now if I could just figure out why I'm so grumpy. I think I'm going to go buy some long sleeve shirts for the trip. Oh wait... [Censored]Son a bitching, mother fuckers!

Wow, that is scary...may I ask how you caught it? Just by chance or luck, or do you have some kind of added protection of sorts that alerts you of such thing? It is definitely something I worry about and any insight would be appreciated.

By pure luck; I wanted to shop for a couple long sleeved shirts for the trip to DC, I checked the balance so that I'd know what my budget could be.

Wow, that is scary...may I ask how you caught it? Just by chance or luck, or do you have some kind of added protection of sorts that alerts you of such thing? It is definitely something I worry about and any insight would be appreciated.

I recently have had small amounts charged to a credit card from overseas interests. Fortunately these charges don't fit my profile of the usual charges and the credit card company called me to inquiry if they were real. When I told them no, they were not authorized, they cancelled the card immediately and have sent me a new card with new numbers, etc. Sorry for your experience, Daddy, but glad your bank was on the ball and got in touch with you before the process was completed.

Actually I got in touch with them. Apparently they did a small amount to see if it was possible and then the womper stomper that wiped my account. The bank has been very good about it. Thank heavens that I can use the web site to divert money to another account while I'm waiting for the replacement card.

I recently have had small amounts charged to a credit card from overseas interests. Fortunately these charges don't fit my profile of the usual charges and the credit card company called me to inquiry if they were real. When I told them no, they were not authorized, they cancelled the card immediately and have sent me a new card with new numbers, etc. Sorry for your experience, Daddy, but glad your bank was on the ball and got in touch with you before the process was completed.

Very scary stuff - glad you caught it in time to interrupt the process. I have alerts set on my cards & account to email every time there is transaction above a certain amount.

But it's not just accounts with debit cards. About 5 years ago, someone wiped out my father's checking account, and he had no cards of any kind, not even an ATM card. Apparently just the account number & his name were enough for electronic fund transfers. Fortunately the bank was very cooperative & we got most of the money back, but we had to close the account and open a new twice.

Thanks to the Internet, I check my bank acct activity every day. (And no, it's not because I have nothing else to do but sit here and clip coupons.) I NEVER use my debit card to purchase anything, and the banks know to alert me if it is used that way. I have found the credit card companies are pretty alert to unusual activity and notify us right away if anything suspicious pops up. Last year Visa called to ask if my partner had really just ordered a couple of expensive printers online, to be sent to an address in NJ. I informed them that he was at that moment on a plane over the Atlantic with no Internet access, and they immediately cancelled the order, and put a hold on any others until he could contact them to release the hold.

I would not rely too much on what the bank does or doesn't do. Even IF they are formally in agreement to do something and they likely will deny any other agreement, they can possibly get out of it by claiming clerical error. What that basically means is if it is not in writing whatever they do is entirely PR.

Best regards,

KMEM

I keep close tabs on things too because you have to.

I don't use my debit card much, but I've found my bank's fraud detection department to be quite good. They've called several times to ask if I'd just made a 99¢ or less purchase somewhere I'd never heard of. They always cancel the card immediately and overnight a replacement to the nearest branch without me even asking.

The same group handles detection on one of my credit cards. During major out-of-pattern purchases, it's not unusual for my cell phone to ring during or just after the sale inquiring if the sale was legit.

I feel pretty secure with most of my cards but, as Reagan said, "trust, but verify".

Now if I could just figure out why I'm so grumpy.

(Just for fun, here are four possibilities?)

1. A vacation in D.C. is not quite the same as a vacation in Paris with RH picking up the tab?

2. Some jealous queen notified D.C.'s health department, providing Rockin' Dave's Fuck House Tour address?

3. Your shirt size is two sizes larger than last year's?

4. Lucky has yet to apologize, and you miss him?

Thanks to the Internet, I check my bank acct activity every day.

I don't do it myself, but someone is assigned (paid) to do it.

I NEVER use my debit card to purchase anything

This is our policy as well. We do use the debit card to secure cash in other countries. One has to be careful with ATM scammer devices since they are on the rise in Europe. The worse a nation's economy, the more people there are trying to steal.

credit card companies are pretty alert to unusual activity and notify us right away

Almost to the point of being obnoxious. We now call them when we know a large purchase is forthcoming.

Thank heavens…I can…divert money

Wishing you a healthy, hope-filled holiday.

I know this is not very PC but these scams all originate from third world countries. I guess the problem is that people there live in abject poverty and the lucky ones come to Europe or America for a better and more civilised life.

Yikes... sorry to hear that. It's a good thing you caught it on time. A few years ago, someone stole my old checks and ID whilst I was in the midst of a major move and did not have a chance to review my bank statements routinely for nearly 3 months. 40,000 was stolen from my checking account and the bank replaced 15,000. It took me nearly a year to file police reports to the fraudulent credit card companies and restore my credit....Nowadays, i monitor my credit reports and bank statements more religiously.

Sadly, it can happen to anyone. I've worked with so many police departments and the FBI but they see it all the time and won't really get involved unless it is a larger amount.

http://www.helpful.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/article_image/images/credit_card_debt_scissors_cut_finances.jpg

I think I'm going to go buy some long sleeve shirts for the trip.

So sorry this happened to you Daddy. And I'm glad it won't interfere with the trip. But I'm not sure how many long sleeve shirts you'll need. It's supposed to be almost springlike in DC this weekend. Highs in the mid 60's. Not bad for DC in January.

And I won't have to stay up all night making sure that Tomcat made it home safely in an ice/snow storm like I did the first year.

40,000 was stolen from my checking account and the bank replaced 15,000..

Why only 15,000 and not the total amount? Was the bank claiming that it was your fault the money was stolen? Is this different than a brick and mortar bank being robbed at gunpoint? You would expect full reimbursement if that happened.

Since my accounts were hacked a couple of years ago, I have since set up all sorts of notifications for each of my cards. Transactions over $50; international transactions, etc. I get texts and emails that let me know if any of the former occur.

The bank required notification within 30 days. Since this occurred over 3 months, they only restored what was taken within 30 days. The checks stolen had a fake signature and used a different address..despite this, they only returned 15k. It is a brick and mortar bank. I've taken my business elsewhere.

Why only 15,000 and not the total amount? Was the bank claiming that it was your fault the money was stolen? Is this different than a brick and mortar bank being robbed at gunpoint? You would expect full reimbursement if that happened.

Credit card fraud happens more often than what would you think of.

Myself I have to change my credit card every time there's an unauthorized charge (several times each year). That usually happens when I see the charge and have to file a dispute.

Only once I received an actual phone call from Fraud Prevention @ my Bank Card Company when they detected some suspicious activity and the transaction was actually blocked before the fraudulent charge was made. What a service!

Archived