NYPD Cop's act of kindness...

Cooper
This topic is 4213 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

What a wonderful story: He didn't do it for publicity but just an act of kindness towards another man. NYPD Officer Lawrence DePrimo saw this homeless man walking around the cold city streets without shoes. The Officer, with his own money, went into a shoe store and purchase a pair of all weather boots and socks to help this man out... He was totally unaware that a tourist took a picture of his charitable deed and posted it on the NYPD site... This world needs more men like Officer DePrimo.

http://www.nypost.com/rw/nypost/2012/11/29/news/web_photos/_DSC8002A182031--300x300.JPG

http://media.silive.com/latest_news/photo/11927233-large.jpg

http://www.theblaze.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Lawrence-DePrimo_homelss-man-boots_.jpg

http://cdn.newsday.com/polopoly_fs/1.4276771.1354231734!/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/display_600/image.jpg

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/29/larry-deprimo-nypd-cop-gives-homeless-boots_n_2209178.html

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There's still hope for humanity.

Absolutely correct. I believe there are lots of acts of random kindness but we don't hear about them as much as we should. Reminds us that we are all really brothers and sisters, and need to reach out to help others in any way we can whenever we can.

Saw this story on the news and was so proud of this man!!!! If the world could only take a small portion of his GENUINE caring and kindness, it would be a far better place. I hope his story spreads far and wide as a very important message during this holiday season

Boston Bill

First saw the photo a few days ago, then the story was in all theNY area papers yesterday, and by today it was even more widely reported after he was on a few talk shows.

To keep in mind, he is only 25; he had no idea others were watching; he treated the homeless man with dignity; he used is own money to buy the thermal socks and top class all-weather boots; he knelt on the ground to help the man put them on. This is a 21st century hero, and the photo speaks volumes during the up-coming holiday season.

This reminds me of something that happened to me a couple of months ago. I was driving down the freeway and noticed smoke (or what I thought was smoke) coming out from under the hood. I pulled onto the shoulder, turned the car off and got out. A few seconds later a Honda pulls up in front and a handsome man in plain clothes gets out and asks if I'm OK. He tells me he is a fire fighter on his way to work and saw the smoke coming out from the hood. He popped the hood and checked to make sure it was not on fire. As it turns out, it was steam from the car overheating due to a faulty thermostat, but it did look like smoke.

I felt like a dingbat but was also very grateful that this off-duty guy pulled over to help with what first looked like an engine fire. Made me feel even more appreciative of our public safety folks.

This reminds me of something that happened to me a couple of months ago. I was driving down the freeway and noticed smoke (or what I thought was smoke) coming out from under the hood. I pulled onto the shoulder, turned the car off and got out. A few seconds later a Honda pulls up in front and a handsome man in plain clothes gets out and asks if I'm OK. He tells me he is a fire fighter on his way to work and saw the smoke coming out from the hood. He popped the hood and checked to make sure it was not on fire. As it turns out, it was steam from the car overheating due to a faulty thermostat, but it did look like smoke.

I felt like a dingbat but was also very grateful that this off-duty guy pulled over to help with what first looked like an engine fire. Made me feel even more appreciative of our public safety folks.

Sigh ! Why does it never happen to me ? A handsome firefighter or cop cumming to my rescue .

NYC is an expensive place to live and speaking as an Italian American, the family unit is very important to most and so a 25 year old of italian descent in NYC would likely be living with his family until he was married. The food alone would keep you home. Even so, one can dream.

NYC is an expensive place to live and speaking as an Italian American, the family unit is very important to most and so a 25 year old of italian descent in NYC would likely be living with his family until he was married. The food alone would keep you home. Even so, one can dream.

Indubidably!

I saw this story as well. I got to wonder if this guy is "family". He's 25, great job and he still lives with his mom & dad. Could just be a fantasy about a hot cop though...

It's my understanding that policemen are not that well-paid relative to living expenses in NYC - althouhg I see that it has improved.

http://www.nypdrecruit.com/benefits-salary/overview

Random Acts of Kindness...

This reminds me of something that happened to me a couple of months ago. I was driving down the freeway and noticed smoke (or what I thought was smoke) coming out from under the hood.... I felt like a dingbat but was also very grateful that this off-duty guy pulled over to help with what first looked like an engine fire. Made me feel even more appreciative of our public safety folks.

Nate, Thanks for sharing your story... I was thinking a lot about Officer DePrimo's random act of kindness yesterday as I was in need of assistance. I was driving upstate NY with my dog in the back of my SUV. Suddenly, he starts crying and won't stop. I had no idea what was wrong and pulled over on some country road to check. When I looked, my (large) dog's paw had gotten stuck in the tire well, I needed help to get him unstuck as the dog was moving around trying to pull his paw out. Just then, a car drove by and I waved to him to stop! He did, jumped out and assisted me. Lots of blood but the dog is okay. As for the Good Samaritan, he said he too was a dog lover, I thanked him, shook his hand, and he took off... Nate, I hope stories like yours, Officer DePrimo's, and mine will remind us how caring people can be.

The homeless man, Jeffrey Hillman, has been on the streets for many years, probably beginning back in the '80's. He has family in PA and knows how to reach them. They would be more than willing to help him, however, he choses not to seek any help for his plight. While frequenlty seen in Hells's Kitchen, he has not been spotted recently and seems to be on the move. Today's NYPost reveals the family of the homeless man was shocked to learn their brother was the recepient of the shoes. The newspaper reports his family's reaction to the news story:

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/manhattan/shoe_tale_comes_as_sock_8Rydx3J2JMyJrKDZ9cR0hK

while i don't want in any way to detract from this officer's kind act, i want to say what nobody has said, and oscar wilde did say: "The proper aim is to try and reconstruct society on such a basis that poverty will be impossible." people who are engaged in THAT activity are my heros. the problem with random acts of kindness is that we get to see ourselves in them, and then think/assume that everything is good, because there "really are" (see!!) good people in the world. look at this great man! this blinds us to the real structural inequalities that our highly-problematic economic structure creates—yes folks, homelessness, hunger, and poverty are evils. and just because they are worse in other parts of the globe does not make then any less evil in america. as wilde pointed out a long time ago, "The problem with altruistic virtues" is that they "prevented the carrying out of this aim [reconstructing society]."

It is the same way that I feel about the person who hands the homeless guy on the corner that is panhandling 50 cents, then walks away and does not give that man or all of those in that situation a second thought. That 50 cents is nothing more than "feel good money" It allows the giver to feel better about himself, but that act of kindness needs to go much further. As edjames pointed out, there was much more than meets the eye with the homeless man. Shoes he needs, but he most likely, among other things, has mental health issues as well. If a man can get off the streets, but won't, then he needs serious help.

I have worked with street youth in LA for a few decades now. The reason these kid are there in the first place is often a very complicated issue. There are not easy answers, suffice it to say that we all have to keep trying.

The homeless man, Jeffrey Hillman, has been on the streets for many years, probably beginning back in the '80's. He has family in PA and knows how to reach them. They would be more than willing to help him, however, he choses not to seek any help for his plight. While frequenlty seen in Hells's Kitchen, he has not been spotted recently and seems to be on the move. Today's NYPost reveals the family of the homeless man was shocked to learn their brother was the recepient of the shoes. The newspaper reports his family's reaction to the news story:

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/manhattan/shoe_tale_comes_as_sock_8Rydx3J2JMyJrKDZ9cR0hK

Sadly as some have mentioned here before, he needs help far beyond the shoes. CNN reporting he is now shoeless again.

Archived