Anyone else working with a trainer? (Alternate title: Is anyone else sore as hell?)

FreshFluff
This topic is 4444 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

So I'm generally slim and have a defined, reasonably toned tummy and legs without working out. However, my butt is awful. It's not big or anything, just incredibly loose. And losing fat doesn't do much for this area.

So I finally gave in and got a great trainer. We spent an hour working my butt, hamstrings, and inner thighs. She thinks the machines are a waste of time, so it's mostly free weight squats, front kicks to back lunges, side lunges, etc. While other trainers were never able to target my glutes, she did a fantastic job: I am so sore that I can barely walk. It will probably take another 3 days before I can work out with her again.

The problem is that in about 10 days, I have to go back to the midwest and either find a trainer there or remember her exercises while keeping my form correct. I'd rather hire a new trainer, but over there, they're all "functional trainers." Shallow as it is, I just want to look good and, as a bonus, get an exercise high. I care little about function.

Since her exercises require very little special equipment other than a body bar for balance and some dumbells, I may have her videotape me doing the exercises while she corrects me, so I'll remember.

www.rentmen.com/mikeyusatop[/url]

I don't mind the pain. I'm just wondering how I'm going to find a decent trainer in the midwest. I am generally leery of "celeb" anything, but this celeb trainer has done the best job ever of targeting my butt and hamstrings. I'm going to have to try to remember those exercises within a few sessions or else find someone in the midwest.

I don't mind the pain. I'm just wondering how I'm going to find a decent trainer in the midwest. I am generally leery of "celeb" anything, but this celeb trainer has done the best job ever of targeting my butt and hamstrings. I'm going to have to try to remember those exercises within a few sessions or else find someone in the midwest.

I think the idea of videotaping the routine is excellent. Might help show the new trainer want you want.

Thanks, guys! (BTW, I messed up when I mentioned my city. If you decide to make a recommendation, please do it via PM. :) )

BTW, have you found that exercise actually helps firm and lift your butt? My body fat is pretty low and getting it lower makes my butt a little smaller, but no firmer. I looked into the new non-surgical lipo on the back of my thighs to make my butt look more defined, but you need a certain amount of superficial fat (1 inch) to make that work, and it's unclear whether I have it. Also, none of that will help the laxity issue.

I had thought of just using it for my own reference.

Two years ago, my trainer of two + years moved out of town. To help me keep the benefits of our time together, he gave me 10 workouts to do on my own. While I started with good intentions of keeping up the schedule, after about three months, my solo efforts began tapering off. He returned to town two months ago, and we have basically started over from scratch.

Fluff, my recommendation is to find someone in the midwest.

Two years ago, my trainer of two + years moved out of town. To help me keep the benefits of our time together, he gave me 10 workouts to do on my own. While I started with good intentions of keeping up the schedule, after about three months, my solo efforts began tapering off. He returned to town two months ago, and we have basically started over from scratch.

Yeah, I figured that. So I contacted a lady from the area who wrote a book about her experience with trainers. One of the trainers she recommended is the head trainer for the cheerleaders for a pro sports team in a nearby city. By chance, I found an article with details about the specific exercises he does with clients, and it's exactly what I'm looking for.

The functional trainer I talked to pooh-pooh'd stuff like lunges and squates. Maybe he's right, but I can see those are targeting the right areas, so I'd like to stick with that.

The functional trainer I talked to pooh-pooh'd stuff like lunges and squates. Maybe he's right, but I can see those are targeting the right areas, so I'd like to stick with that.

Lunges and squats will build your ass, so if that's what you want those should be in your routine. Bad news (as you've discovered) is the first few times if you've never done them or have been out of practice, you will be in pain for the next couple of days. The lunges in particular bring on a special kind of pain. Good news is once you've been doing them regularly the pain will go away. Be sure to stretch before and after each workout, that will help and also reduce the risk of injury.

I'd suggest working on a routine with your trainer in NY right now, either videoing it as you suggest or just writing down descriptions of the exercises. Ideally have them show you a few different types of each exercise so you can mix it up. Then when you get to the midwest use that workout and mix it in with things like spinning that are also good for your bum. Maybe yoga too? I don't know if yoga is good for your ass but I take a yoga class once a week and there are lots of nice asses to look at there on both the guys and gals.

For finding a trainer in the midwest, you could ask for referrals, or you may want to just start solo in your gym and keep an eye out for the kind of trainer you want. When I joined my current gym I picked a trainer who, within a couple of weeks, I decided I did not like. I kept with her for a few months just to see where it might go, but it was not the kind of workout I wanted. But meanwhile I watched the other trainers in the gym and identified a few who were doing the kinds of workouts I wanted to do with their clients. For now I've stopped working with a trainer, but if I start up again there are one or two trainers in the gym I think would be a good fit. I wouldn't have known who if I hadn't observed them over time.

If you have a trainer that leaves you so sore, you have a miserable trainer. Been with one for 11 years. Have never hurt once. The "lads" reckon that i have a very tight hole and the other gym members reckon I have a great set of legs. I am 74. Find another trainer.

If you have a trainer that leaves you so sore, you have a miserable trainer. Been with one for 11 years. Have never hurt once. The "lads" reckon that i have a very tight hole and the other gym members reckon I have a great set of legs. I am 74. Find another trainer.

Any type of resistance exercise, and even running, leaves me sore if I I haven't done it in a long time. I think she did a great job of targeting the muscles and watching my form.

I talked to that first trainer, and he was very closed to continuing what I'm already doing. "Maybe you should get someone who doesn't know as much as I do about the human body." That kind of snottiness is annoying.

Any type of resistance exercise, and even running, leaves me sore if I I haven't done it in a long time. I think she did a great job of targeting the muscles and watching my form.

Yes, any muscle group that is not used to being worked will be sore when it suddenly starts getting work.

Ask anyone who goes bowling (yes, bowling) when they don't normally indulge. EVERYONE has "bowler's butt" the next day. It manifests as a limp, but the stiff/sore part is really the butt. Bowling is actually a really great butt workout, although it only works one side.

Just keep going through trainers. Eventually you'll find one that fits. If you don't, well, you know how it should feel so use the trainer that's "close enough" as a supplement. Your butt knows what you need to put it through by now!

There is a fine line between being hurt and being sore. I'm an advocate of the "no pain, no gain" philosophy. If I don't feel a little soreness the next day, then I know that I've successfully adopted to that workout routine. I can continue to maintain that routine to maintain, but if I want to get new results, I need to increase reps or weight or speed - something where I might feel something the next day.

There is a fine line between being hurt and being sore. I'm an advocate of the "no pain, no gain" philosophy. If I don't feel a little soreness the next day, then I know that I've successfully adopted to that workout routine. I can continue to maintain that routine to maintain, but if I want to get new results, I need to increase reps or weight or speed - something where I might feel something the next day.

Absolutely. Joint and ligament paid is harmful, but muscle soreness is a good thing. Actually, the most annoying thing is to work out with a trainer for the first time and not have any soreness in the key places the next day. That's when you know you're not going to get results.

Would you be willing to share the exercises?

Hi I read your posts with much interest....

I've been working off my weight over the last year to good effect, with one unintended side effect: my ass lost much of its padding, and now my tailbone is sticking out a bit, and it can be quite uncomfortable to sit for long periods.

Wondering if the exercises your trainer taught you has the effect of "plumping" up your ass? And if so if you are willing to share what the exercises are?

Suggestions from other readers also welcome!

PS Because I've had knee surgery before can't overdo it on the squats for fear of doing a number on the knee. But otherwise am game for different exercise to plump up my ass!

Thanks, guys! (BTW, I messed up when I mentioned my city. If you decide to make a recommendation, please do it via PM. :) )

BTW, have you found that exercise actually helps firm and lift your butt? My body fat is pretty low and getting it lower makes my butt a little smaller, but no firmer. I looked into the new non-surgical lipo on the back of my thighs to make my butt look more defined, but you need a certain amount of superficial fat (1 inch) to make that work, and it's unclear whether I have it. Also, none of that will help the laxity issue.

Two suggestions Adam. I am not sure how strong your knee is, but the 'Stairmaster' is an excellent butt builder. The other suggestion would be, and I am not sure if your gym has this machine, but my gym has a machine where it specifically works the butt. You are seated on the machine doggy style and you rest your elbows on pads. You rest one knee at a time on a pad below and place the opposite foot on a pad behind, which pushes up a weight. similar to how a runner looks before he leaves the starting blocks. The machine specifically targets the butt cheeks. It is wonderful. I would ask one of the trainers at the gym if they have such a machine...be very careful with your knees, take it slow and easy. I would set a goal that is way down the road. I wouldn't rush this recovery. Good luck.

The other suggestion would be, and I am not sure if your gym has this machine, but my gym has a machine where it specifically works the butt. You are seated on the machine doggy style and you rest your elbows on pads. You rest one knee at a time on a pad below and place the opposite foot on a pad behind, which pushes up a weight. similar to how a runner looks before he leaves the starting blocks. The machine specifically targets the butt cheeks. It is wonderful. I would ask one of the trainers at the gym if they have such a machine...be very careful with your knees, take it slow and easy. I would set a goal that is way down the road. I wouldn't rush this recovery. Good luck.

The "butt blaster" is what they call it at my gym. Yep that's a good one!

Archived