Bath Houses?

Atlantagaguy
This topic is 4514 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I have never been to a bath house, I have been to a gay cinema in Austria where you pay one fee and there were rooms, slings and free movies. Most of the guys were young and really cute. I was one of the older guys there. I didn’t get much action. It was fun watching the younger guys having sex. Everyone was clothed unless they were having sex. I was impressed how good looking and young most of the men were.

What are the bath houses like and do you enjoy them? Where is the best Bath house that you have been to?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been to P-House in Augusta; it's not a bath house, just a dirty, run-down sex club, a converted motor lodge from the 60s. Haven't been there in years. I do go to Flex occasionally here in Midtown. It's kinda dumpy, and I really don't care for playing there, although occasionally a horny needy stud comes along too delicious to pass up. Mostly, I enjoy people-watching and play-watching. It's fun to watch guys chase each other around. Plus, they have a legit and very capable masseur there on most nights. His fee is very reasonable, and I know I can stop by, enjoy some time on his table, and not have to worry about juggling schedules as is common with other masseurs. He only requires a 10-min minimum, so if I just need 30 minutes of work on the neck and shoulders, I can get exactly what I want.

I did a drive by there last night, but with less than 20 cars in the lot, I just turned around and left. I have found the best times to go are around lunch during the work week; lots of businessmen (particularly outta-towners) drop by for some quick action.

I have been to P-House in Augusta; it's not a bath house, just a dirty, run-down sex club, a converted motor lodge from the 60s. Haven't been there in years. I do go to Flex occasionally here in Midtown. It's kinda dumpy, and I really don't care for playing there, although occasionally a horny needy stud comes along too delicious to pass up. Mostly, I enjoy people-watching and play-watching. It's fun to watch guys chase each other around. Plus, they have a legit and very capable masseur there on most nights. His fee is very reasonable, and I know I can stop by, enjoy some time on his table, and not have to worry about juggling schedules as is common with other masseurs. He only requires a 10-min minimum, so if I just need 30 minutes of work on the neck and shoulders, I can get exactly what I want.

I did a drive by there last night, but with less than 20 cars in the lot, I just turned around and left. I have found the best times to go are around lunch during the work week; lots of businessmen (particularly outta-towners) drop by for some quick action.

Jawjateck do customer walk around nude at Flex?

Some guys walk around in their briefs; most walk around in the towel provided by the club when you check in. A few walk around nude. Fully clothed is the only option not allowed, except for arrival and departure. Some guys rent rooms to have sex behind closed doors; some guys have an open door policy. Most have sex in the halls, sauna, or steam rooms. The pool is the only place off-limits to sexual activity.

They have different size rooms available for rent, but since I don't usually stay long, I always rent a locker, change out of my clothes, wrap the towel around, and browse for a while. By all means, take your sandals or flip flops. Don't walk around that place barefoot.

Bath houses are not what they once were. Before the internet, they were much busier and the customers varied a lot in age, looks, shape, etc. I have not been in many years, but have fond memories of places in Boston, NYC, Chicago, Atlanta, Ft Lauderdale, San Francisco, LA, etc. Flex in Atlanta used to be a very nice place, but as jawjateck said, I have heard it is very run down and not kept up.

Most customers walk around with a towel around their waist, although some do their cruising nude. If you are traveling, you can usually find clubs with some reviews using the gayguide to that city.

After the AIDS crisis hit, most in LA all dried up. The city came in and crack down, they wanted them gone. There a few hold outs, but the crowd is really hit and miss, and I found It difficult to find anyone that I am attracted to. I haven't gone in years, But when they were at their peak, I loved them. Sex clubs in LA have really taken over for the Bathhouses.

Ah yes, the good old days - pre-internet, and the REALLY good old days - before the AIDS crisis. I went to school in upstate New York and in our small city we had two gay bathhouses. Granted it was pretty hit or miss at times, but I have fond memories of many good times. And I discovered that noon time could be just as active and fun as Saturday nights. But I also have good memories of a place in Toronto as well as several spots in NYC. And, gentlemen, a moment of silence as we fondly think back on the old Everard Baths - ah now that was a great place! You never knew who you might meet there. When the building collapsed (there was something that happened with the floors I think) it made Newsweek. I remember thinking how traumatizing it must have been to have been there on that fateful day and have to find your way home dressed in a towel. Not funny - but wait - years later even I can see the humor in that.

The Everard was the first bath house I ever went to, and probably the best, although I tried them all over the US and Europe from the mid-1960s until most of the American ones closed in the wake of the AIDS crisis in the mid-1980s. There was a terrible fire at the Everard sometime in the 1970s, which killed several patrons, and even made the news media in Europe, where I was living at the time. Eventually it was rebuilt and reopened, but it was never as good after that. Its great competitor in NYC was the St. Mark's in the East Village, but at one time in the 70s there were a slew of popular baths throughout the city, including one that built a trailer truck model on one floor, for those who were nostalgic for the departed West Village truck scene. Most had orgy rooms--very dark--as well as steamrooms for the same purpose. There were other baths all over the country, particularly the Club Bath chain, but except for San Francisco's, I found most of them pretty tame compared to the ones in NYC or Amsterdam. I suspect that in smaller cities like Indianapolis and Camden, NJ, the patrons usually knew one another, which made it less exciting than the anonymity one experienced in NYC or SF.

I think they are best for younger men who have bodies worth displaying, so I haven't been to one in years.

Sex Clubs ??? Alot of the mature gentlemen here and in general think they cannot be successful in Sex clubs because behaps they have a few x-tra years, a few x-tra pounds or a few x-tra wrinkles, or maybe arent the best looking piece of fruit in the bushel. OR they think that Sex Clubs are basically SAP (stand and pose) venues, which they CAN be for some. But while sex clubs seem to have replaced many of the popular Bath houses in NYC as the go-to places for fast, anonymous sex, I can say with great experience that the sex clubs are alive and thriving for men that dont want to bother with "relationship" stuff, and are the quick fix for your "Blue balls". My impression is that they are basically places for a Variety of diff types of men to stroll around, unclothed to various degrees, making eye contact and connection and hooking up. I have seen ALL types of men making connections there, and not limited to only the pretty boys, or the muscle boys.

Everyone has a SOLE purpose and a limited amount of time, and while some will choose to be more picky than others, most find something pleasing to them rather quickly... I find them convenient, arousing, and have never left one "unfulfilled". They are not the dark, skeevy places usually portrayed in the media. Two thumbs Up !

Guest Wetnwildbear

What is the Difference?

After the AIDS crisis hit, most in LA all dried up. The city came in and crack down, they wanted them gone. There a few hold outs, but the crowd is really hit and miss, and I found It difficult to find anyone that I am attracted to. I haven't gone in years, But when they were at their peak, I loved them. Sex clubs in LA have really taken over for the Bathhouses.

Can someone/anyone explain the difference between the Bathhouses of the 80's and the SexClubs of today?

Philly still has 2 bathhouses - I have never been to either - One is reportedly old/dirty/rundown/filled with old men and druggie/hustlers and located in the Gayborhood.

The other is reportedly - large - bright - clean - a former healthclub that is sparsely attended on a quiet block in a toney neighborhood across the street from a Gay Adult Cinema - The cinema is nearly invisible on this block of upscale restaurants and

eclectic shops.

I have only been aware of one SexClub - which was raided after 6weeks of operation - perhaps because it was in a small warehouse section in the middle of a residential area.

Please advise

Can someone/anyone explain the difference between the Bathhouses of the 80's and the SexClubs of today?

Philly still has 2 bathhouses - I have never been to either - One is reportedly old/dirty/rundown/filled with old men and druggie/hustlers and located in the Gayborhood.

The other is reportedly - large - bright - clean - a former healthclub that is sparsely attended on a quiet block in a toney neighborhood across the street from a Gay Adult Cinema - The cinema is nearly invisible on this block of upscale restaurants and

eclectic shops.

I have only been aware of one SexClub - which was raided after 6weeks of operation - perhaps because it was in a small warehouse section in the middle of a residential area.

Please advise

You got me...Good question, probably not a lot of difference. I don't go to 'sex clubs' it is not my thing. Bath houses I loved, went to them all through their 'Heyday', but I was younger then, and I doubt that I would repeat that experience now. I personally find that whole scene a bit depressing. While I have not been to a sex club, I know friends that are my age that do, and they love them. Well God bless you I say, each to his own.

Bath houses usually have an added facility for Showering, which a typical Sex club does not have. They may also have a hot tub and a steam room, perhaps a pool... Sex clubs often just have lots of sectioned off spaces for play, perhaps some private rooms...

eclectic shops.

Please advise

Several of the Sex Clubs that I frequent have been raided, but that just means cops who make you leave the facility, and give fines to the proprietors. However once during the winter, I was part of a raid where we were made to leave WITHOUT our clothes and stood in the street in the freezing cold until we were allowed to gather our belongings.... GOOD FUN....

I think the difference between a bathhouse and a sexclub is--the bathhouse has rooms where guys can go to hookup. The sexclub is usually an open environment in which stuff happens in public, in a group setting.

Do others agree with my distinction?

Partially, the sex clubs in NYC that I go to offer booths for private standup play (but if you are really short, you could probably lie down ?) :D Not everyone that goes enjoys the "group" dynamic. Their purpose of going is usually for the selection of guys, all in one place looking for the same thing, and like the private element of the booths..

I think the difference between a bathhouse and a sexclub is--the bathhouse has rooms where guys can go to hookup. The sexclub is usually an open environment in which stuff happens in public, in a group setting.

This is my understanding too. The sex clubs may have semi-private spaces to retreat to such as booths and cubicles, but I believe in theory none of them are entirely enclosed and private. I think the original concept in the early days of the AIDS scares was that management could/was required to monitor activities in the club to make sure safe sex practices were being followed. A bathhouse has fully enclosed, private rooms that would not be possible to monitor.

Also as JJ says, bathhouses typically have shower, steam, sauna, and hot tub facilities. Sex clubs usually don't have these.

My favorite bathhouse has probably been Steamworks in Chicago, though I have not been for several years. But at the time I found it a nice facility and lots of strikingly handsome guys who were up for playing. I've also had fun at Steamworks in Berkeley. I've never much cared for any of the bathhouses in SF. There is a bathhouse in San Jose with a nice outdoor pool, which can be great when it's a foggy summer day in SF since it will be sunny and hot in San Jose. But also I have not been there for several years.

Fond memories of bathhouses all over Europe and in NY and LA (the only two cities in the US where I visited them) throughout the 90s and in the early 2000s, after that especially in NY where I live (ES and WS Clubs) it has been a hit or miss that became more and more miss. West Side Club (so much fun in the early 90s!) has been depressing at least for the past 10-12 years, East Side Club has offered more often until last decade good opportunities of meeting hot men.

I have stopped going for the 4-5 years after a few very disappointing visits.

I went in the 90s to sex clubs in NY, LA and San Francisco also, it was fun, but still I always preferred the possibility of more "privacy" at bathhouses.

Now internet seems the best way to get connected with men for sex.

Not only Bette, but a lot of other very good entertainers.... it was an incredible place. Unfortunately I did not live in NYC, so was unable to be a regular..:-( It was truly incredible and legendary is right. Bette used to talk about how she got her start at a bath house.

One of the nicest places still operating is in Phoenix, where they have a very nice outdoor pool that is surrounded by rooms, and some pretty good workout facilities, but the showers and steam room need to be updated.

There's no point in trying to revisit yesteryear.

What are the bath houses like and do you enjoy them? Where is the best Bath house that you have been to?

I love a great, clean bath house that features a gym but they are getting more difficult to find these days. Haven't been to one in about a year. I've never been to a bath house in NYC, ever. I never want my private sex life to intersect with business. Plus, every health club in NYC can double as a bath house if they offer sauna and shower facilities. The danger of getting caught adds a stimulus you can't capture in a bath house.

I prefer an outdoor pool, but if one is not possible, I guess Steamworks in Chicago offers the most fun for an American choice. I hear Steamworks is not fun if you look a certain way. And a lot of the guys who party there don't know the definition of discretion or restraint. Far too many men are eager and willing to play unsafely. I find that disturbing.

With the rising costs of heat and electricity, I have no idea how these places stay in business. Membership prices have risen, but they are far too costly for the younger, broke, and unemployed gay men among us. It's so much easier to get lower-cost sex on the internet. And among the young-ins who have a few coins, most aren't interested in having sex with an older gay man, especially a guy who doesn't take care of himself (overweight and trapped in the closeted style of 80's evangelical suburb).

And no matter how clean, crisp, and white your towel is, bath house participation will always remind you that an AIDS crisis still exists. For me, it's not easy to watch someone, who clearly is taking a ton of medication to stay alive, publicly behave like a Fire Island pig from the early 70's. Questioning people's sanity is not a sexual turn-on.

Still, with a little luck (depending on what you look like), you can meet a fun, interesting, and sexy guy and have sensible fun. And you can both shower before, during, and after.

You need I.D. to gain entrance, so if you don't have a fake Driver's License from another state (I do), you can forget anonymity. And hidden cameras are almost everywhere. Can you really trust the owners of these operations? (You can tell I'm getting older.)

I've never been to a sex club or a private sex party. If ample clean showers and privacy aren't included in the entrance fee, I won't consider another option. I'm quite pragmatic when it comes to putting my health at risk.

Not in Europe. We have sex clubs where you can retreat in private cubicles/booths. Regarding bathhouses (or saunas as we call them) you don't need to "rent" a private room. They are freely available on a first-cum first-served basis.

Going to a bathhouse is an easy and fast way to bust-a-nut, but beware of STDs. We often talk about HIV/AIDS but there are others STDs around. Someone I know tells me that he would often catch a bug at these bathhouses and that's the reason he stopped going to. Buyer beware.

While I was aware of bathhouses in the US (in NYC and LA especially) I only frequented them in Europe, and more specifically in Hamburg, Frankfort, Cologne (Koln), Munich, Amsterdam, and Paris.

In general the set-up was quite similar (although some were cleaner, and better appointed): you paid a fee and entered, stripped in a fairly good size locker room and were given a thread-bare towel that barely covered the goods. Few guys brought their own shower sandals, most were barefooted.

Then you hit the various floors and rooms. As Seven Draker said, there was usually no cost for the cubicles or rooms and it was very much a first-come, first-served basis. I would check out the action, see if I could fine a cubicle, and if not, headed for the showers and the sauna waiting for a cubicle to be freed.

The showers and saunas (dry and steam) varied. One of the most exciting was in a club in Hamburg that had a real dark maze you felt your way around in the dense steam. You touched a lot more flesh than you saw, and as one other contributor mentioned, size, muscle, girth -- none of it really matered as long as you had a good hard dick and could flaunt it. Some of the hottest action I ever had was in that maze.

One of the brighter saunas in Amsterdam used to be very hot and raunchy ion the late afternoon when the brightly lit steam sauna got very crowded with guys huddled cheek to cheek on the two-tiers of steas and others stood in the centre. The general etiquette was that IF you were in that room, than you had a RIGHT to touch, and to be touched and everything happened there (including a lot of unsafe sex, but it was before the AIDS epidemic).

In the cubicles, it was a veritable delight -- you could ram until you found someone in a cubicle alone waiting... and you stod at the entry, stroked a bit and waited to see if he was interested -- the signals were easy enough to discern and language was never really used. You entered, off came the towels and the cames began. I once was in a cubicle with another businessman who was shaved completely smooth and had a thing for baby oil. We oiled each other up, and spent 3 hours in absolute ecstasy, and when we both came at the end, I was totally spent -- my dick ached for days afterwards. Though we had no language in common, he made it clear the idea was to kiss, cuddle, and do a lot of mutual oral and anal but hld off cumming as long as we could, and we managed it from 5:00 PM until ust before 8:00 PM when we both exploded and left quite a mess in the cubicle... I always wondered who cleaned up between rounds.

In both Hamburg and Frankfort there was a real mix of nationalities (I met my first Hungarian and first Bulgarian and Albanian all in Hamburg, while in Frankfort I got a taste for Brasilians, Peruvians, and Mexicans, and in Amsterdam, ah the joys of Indonesians!

Even if the initial cruising did not find much (which was rare), you had the video and movie screening rooms, a nice comfortable bar, and at the least, you could pay a few more euros and get a great sensual massage. I never left before being fully serviced.

Not in Europe. We have sex clubs where you can retreat in private cubicles/booths. Regarding bathhouses (or saunas as we call them) you don't need to "rent" a private room. They are freely available on a first-cum first-served basis.

Going to a bathhouse is an easy and fast way to bust-a-nut, but beware of STDs. We often talk about HIV/AIDS but there are others STDs around. Someone I know tells me that he would often catch a bug at these bathhouses and that's the reason he stopped going to. Buyer beware.[/color]

Steve, I am sure you know, you dont need to frequent a bath house to catch an STD ? You can catch it from the boy/girl next door, someone you met at church, or even your escort.... Sure they may be more concentrated in large group settings because there are more people, Duh ! STD's are not something you can BEWARE of since most are not visible to the naked eye. Its about chance and Luck.

Archived