The Onslaught of Gay TV

jjkrkwood
This topic is 4540 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Well so far the new Fall TV Line-ups are turning out to be, well, how to say this.....GAY !

Several new TV shows slated are either Gay themed or have Gay characters.

2 Highly anticipated new shows are from:

CBS - "PARTNERS" - about 2 childhood friends, 1 str8, 1 gay, who are now bonded as business partners, but both in respective relationships with Loving partner. The gay is Michale Urie from Ugly Betty fame, and his Lover is Brandon Routh, the last "Superman" (and suppodeldly Hugely Hung) . YUM

NBC - "THE NEW NORMAL" - here we have 2 GAY partners embarking on parenthood with the aid of a surrogate. Starring Andrew Rannells from Book of Mormon.

Do you think America is ready to embrace thwe onslaught of such "in your face" GAY shows ??? Are you ?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well so far the new Fall TV Line-ups are turning out to be, well, how to say this.....GAY !

Several new TV shows slated are either Gay themed or have Gay characters.

2 Highly anticipated new shows are from:

CBS - "PARTNERS" - about 2 childhood friends, 1 str8, 1 gay, who are now bonded as business partners, but both in respective relationships with Loving partner. The gay is Michale Urie from Ugly Betty fame, and his Lover is Brandon Routh, the last "Superman" (and suppodeldly Hugely Hung) . YUM

NBC - "THE NEW NORMAL" - here we have 2 GAY partners embarking on parenthood with the aid of a surrogate. Starring Andrew Rannells from Book of Mormon.

Do you think America is ready to embrace thwe onslaught of such "in your face" GAY shows ??? Are you ?

You know, I'm surprised (and maybe I'm incorrect), that there hasn't been a gay backlash with Christian-themed movies and tv shows and soap operas that portray gay people as they are viewed by the Christian Right—as unhappy, tainted sluts with one foot in Satan's Pit of Promiscuity and a hand reaching out to Our Lord & Saviour Jesus Christ.

I guess even they realize the shows would be played on video screens in gay bars across America, with a thumping disco soundtrack in the background. That, and they're a bunch of fucking uncreative cheapskates. I mean, have you seen any of these Christian-themed movies? They're awful.

You know, I'm surprised (and maybe I'm incorrect), that there hasn't been a gay backlash with Christian-themed movies and tv shows and soap operas that portray gay people as they are viewed by the Christian Right—as unhappy, tainted sluts with one foot in Satan's Pit of Promiscuity and a hand reaching out to Our Lord & Saviour Jesus Christ.

I guess even they realize the shows would be played on video screens in gay bars across America, with a thumping disco soundtrack in the background. That, and they're a bunch of fucking uncreative cheapskates. I mean, have you seen any of these Christian-themed movies? They're awful.

ODDLY enuf, GCB, a religious themed show on ABC, that had "allusions" toward a bisexual Male character, was recently cancelled. Not sure if the "gayness" had anything to do with it, but it certainly didnt help the "palatability" of the show to the Christians.

doesn't matter if America is ready or if I am....all that matters, of course, is ratings, money, advertising....and that will happen if the show has good writing, quality production, and an attractive time slot....I won't be watching as network TV (not cable, but I don't pay for cable) is so bad these days that my tube has become only a vehicle for netflix stuff and occasional PBS docs

doesn't matter if America is ready or if I am....all that matters, of course, is ratings, money, advertising....and that will happen if the show has good writing, quality production, and an attractive time slot....I won't be watching as network TV (not cable, but I don't pay for cable) is so bad these days that my tube has become only a vehicle for netflix stuff and occasional PBS docs

I think my point was whether or not people will even give it a Fair chance because of the subject matter. All the aspects you mention will either keep a show going or Kill it, but if people

dont initially tune in, It hasnt got a chance in Hell.

I suspect that CBS and NBC have reacted to the success of "Modern Family" and are trying to capture an audience which has welcomed not only the gay couple, but the older man, younger second wife, and the more stereotypical realtor+wife+three children into their homes. Rather typical of Hollywood and television---copy what works and makes money.

Seems to me that Americans have not turned away from any television programmes that had gay characters. Not sure whilch prime time show began the "parade" but "Roseanne" had the gay restaurant manager where she waitressed; "Will and Grace" came along; "Ugly Betty" provided a regular gay character, and so did "Desperate Housewives." I guess the answer to your question then is: Nothing new coming in fall tv.

I know I was struck this year with Tom on SMASH and the first scene with him in bed with his then boyfriend talking about how bad the sex they just had was. Just a couple of years ago that scene would have caused a massive outbreak of public indignation. Now, nary even a word in the press about it. I think that one scene and the reaction to it said an awful lot.

I know I was struck this year with Tom on SMASH and the first scene with him in bed with his then boyfriend talking about how bad the sex they just had was. Just a couple of years ago that scene would have caused a massive outbreak of public indignation. Now, nary even a word in the press about it. I think that one scene and the reaction to it said an awful lot.

YES it did, but not many people watched SMASH either. Unfortunately.,

I think the inclusion of gay characters in diverse casts, where their sexuality is no more (or less) an plot point than their straight castmates is the more meaningful & impactful.

I think the inclusion of gay characters in diverse casts, where their sexuality is no more (or less) an plot point than their straight castmates is the more meaningful & impactful.

good point, obviously....and it'd be nice if the gay character(s) are not as flamboyant as that couple on "Modern Family"....but then it wouldn't be as funny, I guess....Catch 22?....it's a steady progression and things seem to be moving along on TV, it appears

good point, obviously....and it'd be nice if the gay character(s) are not as flamboyant as that couple on "Modern Family"....but then it wouldn't be as funny, I guess....Catch 22?....it's a steady progression and things seem to be moving along on TV, it appears

I think there's room for more than one 'flavor' - but I'm waiting for the day when a character's sexuality isn't noteworhy - and I do think we are making progress (as Lee's post noted). Of course, I'm not sure that 'mainstream' America is quite in step with the popular (liberal?) media. ;)

Tom: My GOD, that sex was awful!

Lance: But I did the A2M thing that you said you liked! Even though I didn't want to!

Tom: That's exactly it—I wasn't buying that you were into it. I can't feel that really you love me if you don't make me believe it.

Lance: Oh, well why don't you just go HIRE A HOOKER THEN! I know all about that... that... DO-BOY site that you go to!

Tom: It's "HOOBOY," not "DO-BOY," and yes, at least they know how to touch a man!

Lance: You're just TRASH! I hate you! Get out! (hurls vase) GET OUT!

(Tom leaves)

Lance immediately logs into his Hooboy account and posts a thread: "The Onslaught Of Gay TV."

AND SCENE.

I know I was struck this year with Tom on SMASH and the first scene with him in bed with his then boyfriend talking about how bad the sex they just had was. Just a couple of years ago that scene would have caused a massive outbreak of public indignation.

My favorite part of that situation is that it probably did rile up the nanny crowd, but was also a story about a Republican having sex and not being very good at it. I'm not sure that's a closet door they wanted to open! :cool:

I think there's room for more than one 'flavor' - but I'm waiting for the day when a character's sexuality isn't noteworhy - and I do think we are making progress (as Lee's post noted). Of course, I'm not sure that 'mainstream' America is quite in step with the popular (liberal?) media. ;)

Growing up in the 60's/70's, I remember how TV slowly became "aware" of race - remember all the classic black sitcoms that sprang up? (The Jeffersons, Good Times, Sanford And Son, What's Happening, et al) I also seem to remember how many shows all of a sudden were being sure to include "token" black, hispanic, and Asian characters - not with any real sense of malice toward tokenism, but more to reflect some kind of "rainbow" mentality. Some of this may have been too liberal-minded for middle America, lol, but the point was, it was indeed the so-called flavor of the day.

So maybe we're the new flavor, finally?

However, let's not forget that there were occasional headlining gay characters on TV shows back then, too. Billy Crystal on Soap was one of my early gay heroes, in those teen years when I was slowly edging my way out of the closet.

Actually, does anyone know who the first honestly portrayed gay character on a TV series was? I'm imagining it probably wasn't before the 70's, but I could be wrong.

[

Actually, does anyone know who the first honestly portrayed gay character on a TV series was? I'm imagining it probably wasn't before the 70's, but I could be wrong.

Paul Lynde as Uncle Arthur on Bewitched? Perhaps Paul Lynde as Paul Lynde on Hollywood Squares

"1975: The first gay couple was portrayed in the series "Hot l Baltimore" ("Hot l" is Hotel with the "e" burned out). It was a Normal Lear production on ABC. George and Gordon were a older gay couple."

A more complete list (1972-1999) is here: PORTRAYAL OF HOMOSEXUALITY IN THE MEDIA

Paul Lynde as Uncle Arthur on Bewitched? Perhaps Paul Lynde as Paul Lynde on Hollywood Squares

LOL. Of course even if Uncle Arthur was gay, that would never have been actually acknowledged. Likewise, even on Hollywood Squares I'm not sure there was ever anything more than a "nudge nudge wink wink" kind of insinuation, if even that (though I'm sure it was common knowledge).

"1975: The first gay couple was portrayed in the series "Hot l Baltimore" ("Hot l" is Hotel with the "e" burned out). It was a Normal Lear production on ABC. George and Gordon were a older gay couple."

A more complete list (1972-1999) is here: PORTRAYAL OF HOMOSEXUALITY IN THE MEDIA

I myself remembered an episode of All In The Family that aired in 1971 (I just looked up the date) - Archie tries to deal with the fact that a "regular guy" football-player friend is gay (while accusing one of Mike's straight but artsy friends of being gay). Much later in the series there was an episode about the death of one of Edith's cousins, and the secret that she was a lesbian.

I myself remembered an episode of All In The Family that aired in 1971 (I just looked up the date) - Archie tries to deal with the fact that a "regular guy" football-player friend is gay (while accusing one of Mike's straight but artsy friends of being gay). Much later in the series there was an episode about the death of one of Edith's cousins, and the secret that she was a lesbian.

Yes, of course...I'm a big fan of AITF and love the first episode you mentioned (esp. because the gay guy is a tough, macho man who beats Arch at arm wrestling) but I cringe at the second one. And of course they had Beverly LaSalle, who is killed in a later episode during a gay bashing. But I thought the question was about recurring/regular cast characters, no?

Yes, of course...I'm a big fan of AITF and love the first episode you mentioned (esp. because the gay guy is a tough, macho man who beats Arch at arm wrestling) but I cringe at the second one. And of course they had Beverly LaSalle, who is killed in a later episode during a gay bashing. But I thought the question was about recurring/regular cast characters, no?

I had forgotten about Beverly LaSalle, lol. (And of course, though it wasn't really a gay-related theme, there was the stereotype-bending of the Lorenzo couple - he liked to cook and sing opera, and she was handy with tools and was a pool shark - role reversals that Archie couldn't fathom.)

And yes, the initial idea of the thread was regular cast members. But then also I was curious about the first no-nonsense portrayal of a gay character in general.

Rick and others: thanks for the links to gays in primetime tv. I was out of the country from 1969-1983 and only saw some of those shows referenced in re-runs, others never. Not surprised that "All In The Family" broke ground for gays, as it did is so many areas. Agree with someone who hoped that the day may come when a character's sexuality is as unimportant as his/her race has more or less become. Not sure the shows coming this fall will do the trick, but let's wait and see.

Archived