Dharun Ravu Guilty of Invasion of Privacy in Rutgers Webcam Spy Trail

edjames
This topic is 4393 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Guest Connoisseur

"The unconditional love and support of parents is very important". Well said. I have a son and if there is one thing that he has never doubted is the unconditional love and support of his parents.

The criminal in this case was cruel, devious, didn't show a basic level of respect for another human being and broke the law. Deport his ass back to India or ask Santorum to pay for his incarceration. Santorum has plenty of money from the health care companies in his state in his pockets.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...
Update:

This morning, the defendant was sentenced: he has been spared going to prison and is instead receiving a 30-day jail term and then probation. What do you think? Fair sentence or not?

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2012/05/21/national/a093827D58.DTL#ixzz1vX1Krq9n

Wow. They spent thousands and thousands to put him on trial so that he could be found guilty of virtually nothing.

I read that most, even gay activists, were asking for leniency toward him....anybody else see that?.....and I'm reading this is called a bias crime rather than hate crime.....

I read the same thing. some feel that the prosecution wanted him to be the escape goat for someone committing suicide

It's kinda light but I don't think he should have done years in prison either

Yes - I'm torn about what would have been an 'appropriate' sentence. Maybe a year in prison?

I think it was mostly adolescent stupidity and lack of empathy, not 'hate'. He seemed more concerned that Clementi's 'guest' was older & a non-student than the fact that it was a guy. And as far as I know, Clementi's suicide note has never been made public?

All in all, a very confusing and tragic case!

I think Dharun made a bad decision and should be accountable, but I dont believe the punishment should be as harsh as had he committed physical violence to Tyler. Whether HE caused Tylers death or not, I am still on the fence. I think the issue was blown out of proportion due to the rate of teen suicides as a result of bullying. Lawmakers wanted to make a point that this would NOT be acceptable behavior. I believe if you have a "bully" personality, the threat of jail time wont deter you. You just wanna be a "bad ass"....

Guest rodeo

Remember that 30 days in jail will seems like a looong time for a privileged kid like Ravi. The fact that he got jail time at all will serve as a deterrent to those who are thinking of committing similar acts.

I agree with Seeker that this is an extreme example of adolescent stupidity.

Remember that 30 days in jail will seems like a looong time for a privileged kid like Ravi. The fact that he got jail time at all will serve as a deterrent to those who are thinking of committing similar acts.

Perhaps you are right, but I wouldnt characterize Dharun as a "bully", nor do I think HE perceived himself that way. He is more of a "Prankster" and the possibillty of a 30 day jail sentence might derail THAT sort of behavior. As for bullying, I am not so sure. ?

The fact that he got jail time at all will serve as a deterrent to those who are thinking of committing similar acts.

Really? You think 30 days in jail will be a deterrent? I think it sends the exact opposite message: "Go ahead and intimidate your gay roommates. The worst that can happen is you'll get 30 days in jail. Go for it!"

He wasn't convicted on 15 counts of adolescent stupidity.

Really? You think 30 days in jail will be a deterrent? I think it sends the exact opposite message: "Go ahead and intimidate your gay roommates. The worst that can happen is you'll get 30 days in jail. Go for it!"

He wasn't convicted on 15 counts of adolescent stupidity.

I agree totally—if a girl had been the victim here (and I'm tired of hearing people say Tyler Clementi did what he did by his own hand and is therefore completely responsible), then we would be seeing a completely different outcome here. At the very least he should be deported and have to pay a very hefty fine, on the order of $50K or more.

Logic like this is why we have "gay panic" defenses.

I'm tired of hearing people say Tyler Clementi did what he did by his own hand and is therefore completely responsible

Me, too. That wasn't ever the issue. Ravi was not charged with murder, anyway.

Wouldn't the victims family be able to bring civil suit against Ravu now that there is a criminal verdict?

One would hope!

I agree totally—if a girl had been the victim here (and I'm tired of hearing people say Tyler Clementi did what he did by his own hand and is therefore completely responsible), then we would be seeing a completely different outcome here. At the very least he should be deported and have to pay a very hefty fine, on the order of $50K or more.

Logic like this is why we have "gay panic" defenses.

I think it's risky & confusing to say it would have been different if the victim had been a girl - that's introducing the element of sexism on the part of jurors, etc.

If Tyler had been straight & his partner an older, non-student female, what do you think the punishment would have been?

Well, it's 30 days in JAIL, and $11,000 in fines and 300 hours of community service AND 3 years of probation. So the 30 days may be the easiest part of the sentence.

Thankfully the prosecutor moved to stay the sentence pending appeal of the sentence. So maybe they can get more 'time'.

My personal preference would be for the court to sentence him to assisting and befriending the parents who lost a gifted talented son, for the remainder of their lives. What he helped take away, he should stand in and replace. Just my opinion.

What a slap-on-the-wrist sentence! Justice was not served today. He deserved a minimum of 2 years in jail and deportation at least. Tyler Clementi and his grieving family are the victims here. Tyler's parents must appeal this ridiculous judgement and take it as far as they can until true justice is served.

What a slap-on-the-wrist sentence! Justice was not served today. He deserved a minimum of 2 years in jail and deportation at least. Tyler Clementi and his grieving family are the victims here. Tyler's parents must appeal this ridiculous judgement and take it as far as they can until true justice is served.
Prosecutor's Appeal NOT PARENTS, and they already started the appeal - which can only come after a sentence.

I'm with those who think the sentence was too light--especially given Ravi's lack of remorse. He didn't even avail himself of the opportunity to address the court before sentencing. I just don't think that Ravi "gets it" (nor do his parents). Of course, 300 hours is a lot of time. But Ravi should be in jail long enough to think about the consequences of his actions.

Archived