On the loss of a pet - A Dog's Prayer

leigh.bess.toad
This topic is 4452 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

A good forum friend said goodbye last night to his beloved dog. I will not disclose who it is and I ask that those who also know, please do not do so, either. But I hope that in time he may see this. Finding words to comfort a friend who loses someone so close, such a loyal and faithful companion and friend is difficult. Finally this morning, I thought of a poem/prayer that I think best captures what a dog can be to us. "A Dog's Prayer", attributed to Beth Norman Harris.

To my friend: know that you are not alone. Others here who know of your loss are with you and are holding you tight in their arms and in their hearts. You are loved by me and others. And if you need any of us, all you need do is ask.

Treat me kindly, my beloved master, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of me.

Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though I should lick your hand between the blows, your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me the things you would have me do.

Speak to me often, for your voice is the world's sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footstep falls upon my waiting ear.

When it is cold and wet, please take me inside... for I am now a domesticated animal, no longer used to bitter elements... and I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth... though had you no home, I would rather follow you through ice and snow than rest upon the softest pillow in the warmest home in all the land... for you are my god... and I am your devoted worshiper.

Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for although I should not reproach you were it dry, I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst. Feed me clean food, that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side, and stand ready, willing and able to protect you with my life, should your life be in danger.

And, beloved master, should the Great Master see fit to deprive me of my health or sight, do not turn me away from you. Rather hold me gently in your arms as skilled hands grant me the merciful boon of eternal rest...and I will leave you knowing with the last breath I drew, my fate was ever safest in your hands.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.

There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.

There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Michigan Man - Thank you for the Rainbow Bridge. I was going to post it before I left for work.

I have been raising and showing bouvier des Flandres for nearly 20 years and the loss of each brings undeliverable pain. My heart aches with the owner but in time the finds memories of his best friend will bring him lots of comfort.

On The Loss of a Pet by Jimmy Stewart

For dog lovers this video is a must see. It sums up what having a dog is all about and the love we share with them... Actor, Jimmy Stewart reading a tribute to his dog named "Beau".... Get the tissues ready...

I got to the gate of Heaven yesterday after we said good-bye,

I began to miss you terribly because I heard you cry.

Suddenly there was an Angel, and she asked me to enter Heaven's gate,

I asked her if I could stay outside for some who'd be late.

I wouldn't make much noise you see, I wouldn't bark or howl,

I'll only wait here patiently and play with my tennis ball.

The Angel said I could stay right here and wait for you to come,

Because Heaven just wouldn't be Heaven if I went in alone.

So I'll be right here, you take your time, but keep me in your heart,

Because Heaven just wouldn't be Heaven without you to warm my heart.

Author Unknown

For everyone who posted on this thread..LBT, MM, PB, Coop, Smile, You got the tears flowing, but most importantly, it made me stop, just for a moment, in this crazy hectic life I have, and look down and appreciate my little girl laying at my feet looking up at me.

This has been a tough week. We lost a couple of great guys, and someone lost a wonderful companion....makes you really appreciate the simple things in life. Best to all, BVB

My sincere condolences to the subject of this post.

My dog Rusty is 16 years old and has a degerative nerve disease which has left her unable to walk without assistance. I know she has just a few days to a few weeks left and it has left me emotionally drained. But for those of you who knew of Rusty's plight, she is still doing reasonably well and I am not the person that this thread is about.

Please realize that blind items like this can create confusion and in the future, consider that there are other ways of presenting support that would not lead to this kind of confusion.

Please realize that blind items like this can create confusion and in the future, consider that there are other ways of presenting support that would not lead to this kind of confusion.

I actually thought it was about you and Rusty, but then I realized you're not in Leigh's "clique" (although, granted, you may have home room or study hall together). :p

I agree...a private message probably would have been more appropriate.

And sorry to hear Rusty's not doing well.

Smile, that posting made me misty-eyed. It's been a long time for me as far as dogs go (doesn't really fit in with my life style to my regret),but when I lost one of my cats I just cried with heaves and sobs. It was pretty embarrassing but I realized the vet had seen it all before and understood. Wonderfully sympathetic woman.

For dog lovers this video is a must see. It sums up what having a dog is all about and the love we share with them... Actor, Jimmy Stewart reading a tribute to his dog named "Beau".... Get the tissues ready...

Very touching video. The ending was priceless. You do indeed feel the lost ones presence forever. The most touching part of the video was the very end when an emotional Johnny just touched his shoulder. That is what people need at a time like this--a little touch on the shoulder to say "I'm here for you" or "You done a great job"

Boston Bill

A DOG'S PRAYER FOR HIS MASTER by Will Judy

"O Lord of Humans, make my master faithful to his fellowmen as I am to him. Grant that he may be devoted to his friends as I am to him. May he be openfaced and undeceptive as I am; may he be true to trust reposed in him as I am to his.

Give him a face cheerful like unto my wagging tail; give him a spirit of gratitude like unto my licking tongue. Fill him with patience like unto mine that awaits his footsteps uncomplainingly for hours; fill him with my watchfulness, my courage, and my readiness to sacrifice comfort or life.

Keep him always young in heart and crowded with the spirit of play even as I. Make him as good a man as I am a dog; make him worthy of me, his dog."

From my heart to you.

I want to take a few moments to really thank everyone for the very kind words and thoughts in this thread. Everyone's comments have truly been touching to my now smaller family here in Chicago since Buster's passing. I wasn't aware that this thread had been started till after so many had already commented and I can't tell you how much it lifted my day yesterday, today and for days ahead because I have come to realize that Buster had quite the following.

Maybe even more-so than me!

That said, THANK YOU again to everyone, thank you for the cards, emails, phone calls, texts beautiful flowers and plants arrangements but more importantly, THANK YOU all for keeping us in your thoughts. Buster has a very peaceful passing in my arms and he was surrounded with more love than he knew what to do with. Like all things, Buster appreciates the kind sentiments and extends his best lick of the hand to each and every one of you.

• 4 weeks later...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_2arAl0BmDHQ/TTJhbNKw6oI/AAAAAAAAAH0/_vAGOwHkfac/s1600/the+puppy+years.jpg

“A dog has no use for fancy cars or big homes or designer clothes. Status symbol means nothing to him. A waterlogged stick will do just fine. A dog judges others not by their color or creed or class but by who they are inside. A dog doesn't care if you are rich or poor, educated or illiterate, clever or dull. Give him your heart and he will give you his. It was really quite simple, and yet we humans, so much wiser and more sophisticated, have always had trouble figuring out what really counts and what does not.”

― John Grogan

Archived