Airline upgrades

rickx
This topic is 4495 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

First of all, be nice to the gate agent. Chat them up a tad. I've heard that coffee and / or a sweet rolll for a morning flight might be useful, but that was probably pre-9/11.

I remember flying Virgin Atlantic to England (from Boston). I'd placed us in Premium Economy [business]. When we checked in, I told the checkin lady that I already had a seat assignment. She looked at me and said, "I have to move you. We always have to re-seat this flight."

"Where are you putting us?" I asked, as I always like to be in the upstairs on a 747.

"Row 12," she said.

"That's UPPER CLASS!" [emphasis was minimized].

"Oh, yes. I'm upgrading you."

Same sort of scenario on the way back: "Any chance we could get upgraded?"

"SIR!" came the reply, with slight indignation, "I doing it right now."

Oh, and dress well. Preferably blazer / tie / slacks. Not t-shirt and shorts.

Just my two-cents.

Three things most readily: frequent flyer status (trumps all others for automatic upgrades that defaults in the system queue), friendliness and kindness to the ticketing and gate agents. Working in service/ healthcare industry, I know dressing well, being groomed, and displaying good manners will set you apart from 90% of the other masses, even if you aren't Brad Pitt.

It is guided by airline policies, but it truly is about the the interaction between individuals. The majority of times I requested this, I was ugraded. I was at the gate early, spoke properly to the agent and REQUESTED this. I've watched in awe people berating these agents and vice versa and the majority of these characters never get upgraded.

# 1 Reason people are chosen for upgrades--(in my opinion) acting like a RESPECTFUL GENTLEMAN.

Boston Bill

Today, upgrades by the airlines are granted primarily based on frequent flyer status. Also, if you are an active or retired airline employee, that can help depending on your non-rev status. At least with US carriers, upgrades to anyone else based only on the good graces of the gate agent (because you are hot, dressed well, or brought them coffee and a danish) very rarely happens any more. Gate agents can get in serious trouble if they upgrade someone else ahead of status holding frequent flyers. I understand that decades ago, it was easier for the gate agents to upgrade at their discretion....but not any longer. The possibilities for discretionary upgrades may be better outside of the US.

This thread is some ones idea of a joke ... right ??? I mean you are pulling my leg !!!

An upgrade in 2012 is about the same as the odds of winning the lottery !

Well butter beans - I don't know what airlines you kids are flying on ??? But since 9/11 the world of air travel is a very different place. Upgrades are virtually non-existent - I remember in the 90's when you could actually purchase those funny little upgrade stickers from AA ? Does anyone recall those ? I have slowed down in the last 2-3 years travel wise for both business and pleasure because I find the whole airport experience the most humiliating part of modern life - there is no joy in travel unless your 20-something and have not been anywhere. I started flying regularly (by that I mean an average of a flight a week in the early 80's - a period I personally consider the final decade of the golden age of travel ... although the early 90's were pretty good as well) and I still fly about once a month on average. The airports themselves continue to get nicer / better shopping and food / more pleasurable - the planes are abysmal - an upgrade virtually unheard of ! I mean who even checks in with a gate agent in this day and age - I download my boarding pass and have little human contact except at security or customs. At any given point I am sitting on 600 or 700K in earned miles between 2 carriers and have trouble even getting a reward flight if I don't book 6-9 months in advance. At this stage in my life - it's a gift to get a bulk head seat in coach or once on a very rare occasion to have an empty middle seat - that is luxury by today's travel standards. If you are flying major routes - those flights are oversold 99% of the time - two of my neighbors work in the industry and each has more than a 25 year employment history with the airline they work with (one is a pilot) and both have told me even as employees they now struggle to get family members on the same flight for a holiday. The JOY of airline travel like so many other treats in life is but a distant memory !!!

Upgrades - you are kidding . . . Right ???

This thread is some ones idea of a joke ... right ??? I mean you are pulling my leg !!!

An upgrade in 2012 is about the same as the odds of winning the lottery !

Well butter beans - I don't know what airlines you kids are flying on ??? But since 9/11 the world of air travel is a very different place. Upgrades are virtually non-existent - I remember in the 90's when you could actually purchase those funny little upgrade stickers from AA ? Does anyone recall those ? I have slowed down in the last 2-3 years travel wise for both business and pleasure because I find the whole airport experience the most humiliating part of modern life - there is no joy in travel unless your 20-something and have not been anywhere. I started flying regularly (by that I mean an average of a flight a week in the early 80's - a period I personally consider the final decade of the golden age of travel ... although the early 90's were pretty good as well) and I still fly about once a month on average. The airports themselves continue to get nicer / better shopping and food / more pleasurable - the planes are abysmal - an upgrade virtually unheard of ! I mean who even checks in with a gate agent in this day and age - I download my boarding pass and have little human contact except at security or customs. At any given point I am sitting on 600 or 700K in earned miles between 2 carriers and have trouble even getting a reward flight if I don't book 6-9 months in advance. At this stage in my life - it's a gift to get a bulk head seat in coach or once on a very rare occasion to have an empty middle seat - that is luxury by today's travel standards. If you are flying major routes - those flights are oversold 99% of the time - two of my neighbors work in the industry and each has more than a 25 year employment history with the airline they work with (one is a pilot) and both have told me even as employees they now struggle to get family members on the same flight for a holiday. The JOY of airline travel like so many other treats in life is but a distant memory !!!

err....I get upgrades all the time. Of 70 some flights in 2011, I think I flew in coach once on flights that had a premium cabin. Granted, I pay for first or business class about 25% of the time. But the rest were upgrades. The key is to be in the top tier of the airline's frequent flyer program....which I am with American & Continental(United now). When you achieve the highest level, upgrades are not guaranteed, but based on my experience, they almost always come through.

I get frequent upgrade on DELTA because of my status with them, but not always as I manage to unfortunately fly on routes that are overbooked (and God-help-me, going through that circle of hell called Atlanta Airport).

AMERICAN is my second FF airline, and I find that I a often asked if I want to upgrade, but for a small additional fee. Maybe when I surpass 100,000 mi it may be easier.

Sadly, many airlines I used to fly frequently have been reconfigured so often that the miles accumulated were lost. I am beginning to use more JET BLUE, and will see how that works; also occasionally use SOUTHWEST but never liked their almost too democratic boarding rules, though seeing a steward in shorts was a nice plus.

First of all, be nice to the gate agent. Chat them up a tad. I've heard that coffee and / or a sweet rolll for a morning flight might be useful, but that was probably pre-9/11.

I remember flying Virgin Atlantic to England (from Boston). I'd placed us in Premium Economy [business]. When we checked in, I told the checkin lady that I already had a seat assignment. She looked at me and said, "I have to move you. We always have to re-seat this flight."

"Where are you putting us?" I asked, as I always like to be in the upstairs on a 747.

"Row 12," she said.

"That's UPPER CLASS!" [emphasis was minimized].

"Oh, yes. I'm upgrading you."

Same sort of scenario on the way back: "Any chance we could get upgraded?"

"SIR!" came the reply, with slight indignation, "I doing it right now."

Oh, and dress well. Preferably blazer / tie / slacks. Not t-shirt and shorts.

Just my two-cents.

But it doesn't really seem like you did anything- or am I missing something? You were already in business class which is still pretty nice- and pricey right?

As for wearing a tie on a flight- I can't tell you how often- even as I'm stuck way in back in steerage- that I have been thankful that I don't have a job that requires me to fly all dressed up. I'll admit- that when I see old movies and everyone is dressed to the nines for flying it looks really nice, but I'd rather have comfort.

Rex

AMERICAN is my second FF airline, and I find that I a often asked if I want to upgrade, but for a small additional fee. Maybe when I surpass 100,000 mi it may be easier plus.

Adriano,

You are right. On AA at 100k miles (Executive Platinum), the domestic upgrades happen much more frequently....and they are complimentary(no co-pay and no miles required).

A sincere smile is the only "secret" I know.

Usually I buy the cheapest ticket possible that fits my schedule though preferably one that can be changed without penalty. So that often means Southwest which of course has only one class of service. Which ranges from awful to awesome. If you do them often enough you figure out the system, which flights are good and the boarding process is easy, really no reason to ever stand in line.

Without enough miles on any airline to get any official special treatment or upgrades I still find it worthwhile to check with the gate agent. Even if I already have my boarding pass.

Sometimes they either upgrade me or better yet if I'm early enough I've had them say "You're going to XXX? Why aren't you on the flight leaving right now?", "or how come you're not taking the on-stop?". I answer "I wish I was but they said my ticket can't be changed". Gate agent grabs my ticket and says "don't tell anyone I did this" and presto! God only knows what special keys they pressed.

I don't often get to sit in business or first class but I prefer a half empty flight with my own row any way. The nice thing about Chicago being a large hub is that along with all the over crowded flights are many that while lightly loaded are kept in the schedule because they need the crew and airplane back in Chicago for the morning.

So I've a few favorite late night flights that I consider (even on Southwest) to be all first class. Not just because of the extra space but quick boarding and exiting and a crew that doesn't have a lot to do other than offer me drinks and snacks.

Plus the sometimes hot steward (or even pilot) might even invite you to their hotel or apartment.

After 9/11 I began to hate air travel. But now I've adjusted to it, and I find I can tolerate or even enjoy it again.

As far as dress I have always enjoyed wearing a suit and tie while traveling. Lots of pockets for stuffing snacks, receipts and boarding passes into while running through the terminal, easy to adjust for temperature comfort, In a pinch the necktie doubles as an eyeshade.

Of course tight jeans and a good pair of boots sometimes gets me into more uhh trouble, of the fun kind of course.

Can gate agents and the check in desk still upgrade you at will? Anyone know any secrets or best way to ask for an upgrade?

I agree with many here, FF loyalty is the best way to get an upgrade. Being kind and friendly helps, but brand loyalty is king. Upgrades do happen, and possibly more so post 9/11. I have noticed that on American Airlines that servicemen / women are routinely upgraded to first class if there is an open. It often makes first class all the more nicer.

Raulgmanzo, your experience with the agent putting you on the earlier flight made me think that that's one of the "secret" ways to get an upgrade. Just go to the gate for an earlier flight at the last minute. If a flight is about to take off, and you are there with a paid ticket for a later flight, it makes economic sense for the airline to put you on the flight about to take so they can fill an empty seat (First Class or not), leaving the possibility for them to to resell your seat that you gave up on the later flight.

Raulgmanzo, your experience with the agent putting you on the earlier flight made me think that that's one of the "secret" ways to get an upgrade. Just go to the gate for an earlier flight at the last minute. If a flight is about to take off, and you are there with a paid ticket for a later flight, it makes economic sense for the airline to put you on the flight about to take so they can fill an empty seat (First Class or not), leaving the possibility for them to to resell your seat that you gave up on the later flight.

airlines have a business to run. It's unlikely that in today's economy anyone is going to get a bump up just by smiling and wearing tight pants. This isn't 1988.

easily taking earlier flights is for the most part a thing of the past. If you've checked luggage, it must stay on the equipment you're flying. Unless an airline is willing to search for your bags at the last minute, hopping on another plane isn't as easy as abc. You can thank TSA for that one.

Citation X, still the best way to fly to me.

airlines have a business to run. It's unlikely that in today's economy anyone is going to get a bump up just by smiling and wearing tight pants. This isn't 1988.

I've been upgraded, without any status on an airline's frequent flyer program, by politely asking the gate agent if there was any way I could be upgraded. Although the airline's computer system might be programmed to grant an automatic upgrade only to a flyer who has status, a savvy gate agent knows how to process a manual upgrade or override a system edit. Like the time a Southwest telephone agent informed me that she would have an airplane held for me if I could guarantee her I would be at the airport in 45 minutes. This was right after she got me to stop crying after I learned that my mother's death was imminent and I needed to be on a flight to Chicago ASAP. There was a later flight, but it was not a non-stop and would have gotten me into town very late.

One more thing. A savvy gate agent also knows how to refuse giving an upgrade to a belligerent asshole (or a non-belligerent asshole who is absorbed by his airline status) who happens to have status.

Today, upgrades by the airlines are granted primarily based on frequent flyer status. Also, if you are an active or retired airline employee, that can help depending on your non-rev status. At least with US carriers, upgrades to anyone else based only on the good graces of the gate agent (because you are hot, dressed well, or brought them coffee and a danish) very rarely happens any more. Gate agents can get in serious trouble if they upgrade someone else ahead of status holding frequent flyers. I understand that decades ago, it was easier for the gate agents to upgrade at their discretion....but not any longer. The possibilities for discretionary upgrades may be better outside of the US.

I agree with this, and with Jimbo. The airlines are well aware that, unlike 15 years ago, word spreads quickly online about how to beat the system and who the friendly gate agents are. And in the age of Youtube, discretionary upgrades could get them sued if they (for example) upgrade a white guy over a black one with the same FF status.

Most flights are fuller than ever so upgrades are a matter of FF status with that airline which means computer "matching". Gate agents CAN do some things but many might be at their peril, as mentioned previously.

I think the airlines do a lot of things wrong and I am sure the FF among us would be quick to agree. Their boarding process being a blatant example. Those in the most rear seats should board first and someone should make sure they do not "abandon" their carry on luggage nearer the front. Rear window pax first, then rear middle and aisle pax. It might be amazing how quickly boarding would go with that system.

Of course, charging for carry on and offering free bag checking might make things go smoother also. Nothing like having "approved" carry on baggage and then having to waste time coming and going doing a "valet" bag check at the aircraft door. Silly.

Do the current TSA rules allow the baggage and passenger to be separated? If they do it must because they think that scanning checked baggage is "safe". Silly them or us.

I was once on a UA flight from LAX-SYD (pre-911) and after they closed the door, 3 or 4 pax decided they did not want to go. So, they announced a delay while they found the pax baggage. The 747-400 captain sitting next to me said pax and baggage have to go together with the obvious conclusion being a bomb on the checked baggage.

I don't know the current UA rule but pre-911 a passenger on a buddy pass who wished to go F had to have coat, tie and "nice" shoes or the gate agent would not allow you to board and go F. Cattle class was more tolerant of one's dress. That made it easy to identify the employees because they were generally the only ones with coat and tie. Once the door closed, one could shed both coat and tie.

Best regards,

KMEM

I think the airlines do a lot of things wrong and I am sure the FF among us would be quick to agree.

One very happy FF here.

My interest is booking frequent flier flights overseas in coach. I have been very successful quickly and easily (all for summer flights at the lowest number of flier miles) in the last twenty-four months because most airlines post a calender with numer of frequent flier seats available (if any), with level of points, on their respective websites. It takes less than 10 minutes to book flights.

I enjoy one stop (especially on dependable airlines like Lufthansa) to change planes, stretch and walk around the airport & chat some. I understand upgrades on very long non-stop flights, but lately the one stop is about the same thing for me, and I save a lot of frequent flier miles.

I do understand that I have changed the topic.

Instead of signing up for the usual frequent flier miles club you fill out a special form that goes to the pilots called the Frequent Flier Mile High Club" That's usually how you get good upgrades~

Tyger!

tygerkink@yahoo.com

http://www.tygerscent.biz

http://www.daddyreviews.com/review/tyger_portland

http://www.maleescortreview.com (Tygerscent in Portland, Oregon)

http://www.rentmen.com (AAAtygerscentXXX in Portland Oregon)

http://www.men4rentnow.com (tygerscent in Portland, Oregon)

Can gate agents and the check in desk still upgrade you at will? Anyone know any secrets or best way to ask for an upgrade?

One very happy FF here.

My interest is booking frequent flier flights overseas in coach. I have been very successful quickly and easily (all for summer flights at the lowest number of flier miles) in the last twenty-four months because most airlines post a calender with numer of frequent flier seats available (if any), with level of points, on their respective websites. It takes less than 10 minutes to book flights.

I enjoy one stop (especially on dependable airlines like Lufthansa) to change planes, stretch and walk around the airport & chat some. I understand upgrades on very long non-stop flights, but lately the one stop is about the same thing for me, and I save a lot of frequent flier miles.

I do understand that I have changed the topic.

As long as we're at it: My sister and I were already in Chicago, after our mother had died. Her son, 21 or so, was coming in from New York.

We went to an agent an asked if there were any way we could meet my nephew/ her son at the gate.

"Honey!" she said, "You asked the right gal!" She wrote us up two false boarding passes that got us through security

and we met my nephew at his flight.

sometimes, people work in mysterious ways.

Archived