So mad I needed to cook trout and dandelion pesto

raulgmanzo
This topic is 4484 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

What do you do when you are super angry or pissed off?

Sometimes I go rock climbing, or swimming, running, a long bike ride.

Or log onto a hookup site or call a fuck buddy and have some good sex.

Other times I go into the kitchen and make a fabulous meal upon which to healthfully binge.

Tonight I made pesto using dandelion greens, cilantro and the most delicious pecans I have ever had in my life.

These Pecans are an heirloom variety sent to me by a dear southern friend, no hint of bitterness. I've been eating handfuls of them plain but they are also pretty tasty in this pesto.

Poach some trout with limequats and serve over a bed of freekeh with a variety of mushroms and voila a meal that makes me happy!

Man I love eating, and I believe that tasty, healthy, interesting food is good foreplay.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That voodoo you do.

Tonight I made pesto...

That's too funny. So did I.

I used Marcona almonds and an olive oil from a private grove outside of Florence, both were a holiday gift.

I rarely get super angry (don't enjoy the stress). But when I get mad, I need to talk it through with someone, usually my son.

For utter frustration, I find the gym works best. I prefer to enter the kitchen or the bedroom with a stress-free smile on my face.

What happened? Why are you so upset?

Well nothing I can talk about, already bad enough that I admitted being upset.

But more importantly a neighbor thanked me for fixing her door by making me a cocktail with some

fresh squeezed blood oranges, so I dunno, seems now like I was never upset.

...I used Marcona almonds...

That must have been delicious.

Marcona almonds are superb. Never used them in Pesto, only in deserts.

Though I've made pesto with regular almonds and nearly every other type of nut.

And of course pretty much every type of green imaginable. Pesto is a regular dish

for me, sometimes a genoese style, othertimes more like a chimichurri, sometimes with no cheese

and othertimes more like a moretum.

Tonight I used some decent but affordable pepato pecorino.

For utter frustration, I find the gym works best

For utter frustration I chop some wood. How lucky am I to live in the center of a large city,

walking distance from all manner of things, 1 block from the L/subway but still able to cut some firewood in my teeny tiny tree filled backyard?

Just that very option makes me feel silly for ever feeling less than blessed.

Raul, sorry something pissed you off that badly. The pesto? My palette's having trouble imagining the dandelion greens. I take it they were baby dandelions or I'd think they'd be too bitter to go with the trout. I'm growing basil indoors this year. First attempt in a house that doesn't have the lighting for it. Hopefully I'll be making pesto with basil in a couple of weeks. Take it easy.

Raul,

I love the different way you cook. You have shown me new cuisines of dining out on the 2 experiences we have met. Plus some suggestions you have given me privately or through the Forum have chnged this "meat and potatoes" Irishman into someone who likes to experiment with new things (food and sex)

You should write a book "Food and Fun for the Active Gay Man"

SMILE :-)

Boston Bill

All the talk about peso has me very intrigued and while I don't recall having much of it in the past I think I'll go to the market today and buy the ingredients to make up a batch. I found a relatively simple recipe on the net and it seems to be a very friendly condiment/addition to a wide variety of dishes (and being relatively healthy is an added bonus).

All the talk about peso has me very intrigued and while I don't recall having much of it in the past I think I'll go to the market today and buy the ingredients to make up a batch. I found a relatively simple recipe on the net and it seems to be a very friendly condiment/addition to a wide variety of dishes (and being relatively healthy is an added bonus).

I didn't know pesos could be cooked. I prefer dollars—raw, and in a salad with some radicchio.

Raul, sorry something pissed you off that badly. The pesto? My palette's having trouble imagining the dandelion greens. I take it they were baby dandelions or I'd think they'd be too bitter to go with the trout. I'm growing basil indoors this year. First attempt in a house that doesn't have the lighting for it. Hopefully I'll be making pesto with basil in a couple of weeks. Take it easy.

They were realtively young greens, and I did something I normally don't do when making pesto which is I quickly blanched the greens. Not sure if it made them less bitter. And people seem divided on if that helps or hurts. But also I like the bitterness of dandelion greens and I eat so many greens that I'm used to the bitterness. The last few days I sauteed a bunch of quite bitter rapini. But so good with a little anchovy. The salt helps with the bitterness. Oh so with the dandelion I also added some dried lime and I think the sour and salt and unusually sweet pecans helps balance the bitterness.

I grow heaps of basil and other culinary herbs in summer and always bring indoors a couple of basil plants. Yum, I can't wait for spring. I've a fairly involved garden with an automatic irrigation system that takes time to setup and calibrate each year but then provides me with a source of inexpensive healthy food.

I love the different way you cook. You have shown me new cuisines of dining out on the 2 experiences we have met. Plus some suggestions you have given me privately or through the Forum have chnged this "meat and potatoes" Irishman into someone who likes to experiment with new things (food and sex)

Bos, hearing that makes me so incredibly happy, you have no idea.

Don't be mad, Raul. Eradicate your problem at the base ...

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lz01nmndEN1qa7t32.jpg

I absolutely love pesto ... the real one http://www.elvispresley-community.de/images/smilies/yummy.gif[/color]

Gentilissimo Signore Draker surely you know that pesto is real as long as it's made using a mortar and pestle, or a modern equivalent. Sometimes I use a food processor, blender, mortar/pestle or mezza luna, or even, my favorite, a molcajete and tejolote.

Btw many years ago I got so mad at my TV that I almost threw it out the window. But I would have had to fix the window and I'm lazy. So instead I put the TV in a closet only bringing it out for special occasions. Well since then everything switched to digital and now I happily have no working television!

I didn't know pesos could be cooked. I prefer dollars—raw, and in a salad with some radicchio.
These days the Pesos might be better, for long term fiduciary health anyway. And what with the threat of Euro contagion thorough cooking might be advised. But what isn't tasty with Raddichio? Mmm especially Radichio rosso di Treviso, yummy even grilled.

If I were your BF, I'd make you mad on purpose -- because either a great meal or rough fuck would be on the way!

You sound like a terrific chef!

Well I'm not very good at cooking from recipes, I tend to cook extemporaneously so results do vary! Often I have no idea what I'm cooking until I eat it. So my style of cooking is not for everyone but the upside is that the grocery, my fridge or garden, ALWAYS has what I need for dinner and I tend to cook seasonal things.

I highly recommend pesto, if you don't like it then vary the ingredients. You will not only find variations you like but you will find it easy to expand your pallete. Learning to appreciate bitter greens can help one seriously reduce their sugar intake.

Raul

http://daddysreviews.com/review/raul_g_chicago

Impressive that you eat so healthy when upset. Most people binge on ice cream and junk food to try and feel better.

Ahh but that is the secret to healthy living. Find healthy indulgences. Rather than restrict what one eats one should expand what they eat. Crowd out the sugar, white flour and such with tasty healthy yet decadent food.

If anyone thinks they don't like healthy food then my guess is that they have not tried enough kinds of healthy food.

There are fruits as sweet as the most sinful desert, herbs, meats and vegetables as succulent as any fast food.

But here also is a tip. If you don't like something try it again in a day or two. Maybe some months or even a year later. Seriously, it seems we humans have evolved (like rats) to be subconsciously wary of new things in our diet. But if after trying something new you wake up the next day your subconscious tells you that maybe this is actually edible.

when it happens too me I pace and can't sleep...

Me too! But sometimes when I get tired of pacing in circles I get on my bicycle or go for a long walk even if it is 3am.

Actually that is like the best time as there is little traffic and it is peaceful.

Othertimes I'll go outside and pickup litter, while doing that I bitch about the sloppy (but loveable)

neighborhood kids (and too often their parents) who litter so much and before you know it I actually

feel better. Why litter? Because it is the easiest most mindless thing that instantly (well in like 30 minutes) transforms

my whole street into someplace nice. It makes me feel like less of an asshole for being so self-absorbed in my own hangups.

Actually Raul's pesto recipe with dandelions etc. intrigued me... except for the cilantro that is... something about cilantro which I have encountered in Vietnamese as will as other Asian cuisines in addition to the usual Mexican has never set well with me. As for the bitterness of dandelions... that pungent quality is the attraction as it is with brocolli di rabe... aka broccoli raab… aka rapini... somehow just as BDSM can hurt like hell but feel so good… the seemingly “disagreeable” taste of many greens has a certain inexpressible allure!

Still there is absolutely nothing like pesto with fresh basil... I sincerely hope that justaguy is more successful than I was this year... mine didn't make it indoors this winter... and I had it positioned in a sunny location... so I'll have to wait for garden season... and it will be something to which to look forward this spring and summer!

But here also is a tip. If you don't like something try it again in a day or two. Maybe some months or even a year later. Seriously, it seems we humans have evolved (like rats) to be subconsciously wary of new things in our diet. But if after trying something new you wake up the next day your subconscious tells you that maybe this is actually edible.

That's quite true but there's a time to say "Uncle" too. I've given up on cilantro.

There are darned few things I just won't eat. My mom always said I was a weird kid because I *LIKED* the things most kids hate: spinach, asparagus, broccoli, brussels sprouts. But after a few decades of trying, I've closed the door on cilantro.

Don't know what it is. An allergy perhaps? Once I taste cilantro I'm done, and cilantro is so forward you can't NOT taste it.

A little mom & pop Mexican restaurant here finally knows me. When I tell the server "NO CILANTRO" they make sure the kitchen knows I mean it. When they have a new line cook, he'll put in cilantro because, well, who'd know? I do, and I've sent things back often enough that now THEY know. NO CILANTRO!

I'm not proud of it, and I'm "food forward" enough to keep trying, but my body will not accept cilantro for some reason.

oh no...you can't trick me....

I can't remember back far enough in my life to when I had such a bad experience that I decided never again. But it happened I KNOW, because there is NO WAY that I will ever sample brussel sprouts again (no offense Steven).

So don't even attempt the old " try it again" routine because it's not gonna happen in this lifetime, dimension, or existence. Whatever was done to them, they tasted NASTEEEEEEE. I know, some people think they are the greatest things but my gosh I am breaking out just at the thought.

And Raul, forget about making a special pesto for the sprouts. It won't help to make me try them because it ain't never going to happen.

We now return to our original programming and thread.

because there is NO WAY that I will ever sample brussel sprouts again (no offense Steven).[/color][/size][/font]

No offense taken, Jackhammer.

I hate Brussels Sprouts myself. Recently someone taught me how to cook them with Maple Syrup. That surely takes away the bitterness. I might try that at home.

Btw many years ago I got so mad at my TV that I almost threw it out the window. But I would have had to fix the window and I'm lazy. So instead I put the TV in a closet only bringing it out for special occasions. Well since then everything switched to digital and now I happily have no working television!

Raul, you misunderstood my post. The flying object wasn't a TV set, but rather a computer screen (an ancient one) :)

Hence looking for the "source of the problem" and fight it. Never mind, one day I'll learn to convey my ideas.

jackhammer, If your mother was anything like mine, she overcooked the Brussel sprouts. It doesn't take to much to make them taste like rusted iron. I actually used to feed mine to the dog under the dining room table. It wasn't until I had them cooked properly that I found out they don't have to taste that way.

Unfortunately I couldn't find any fresh basil at the market I shop at so I ended up buying some already prepared pesto and tried it on a number of different things (chicken, baked potato and homemade pizza). I must say "where has this been all my life" as I thoroughly enjoyed how it enhanced every dish. I am very happy to try new things (new things to me that is not necessarily to everyone else) and this was a gold mine of a discovery so thanks to Raul for this thread. I am looking forward to making some of my own with fresh basil whenever I can find it as I imagine that will make it so much better. On a side note, while searching fruitlessly for the basil I saw some mustard greens and that got me intrigued as I never had those before. Took some home, cooked up a batch and I really enjoyed them. So many things in the market that I just pass over for whatever reason but I will try just about anything so I will continue to experiment with some new things. Any suggestions are welcome.

Archived