JoePa & Happy Valley (Penn State scandal)

glutes
This topic is 4513 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

This story just keeps getting worse. Paterno kept it quiet. all for the money?

To all the kids raped & molested --- my heart goes out to you and I feel so bad that no ADULTS thought you were important enough to stop it.

http://img.allvoices.com/thumbs/image/609/609/88001754-penn-state-paterno.jpg

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bye bye JoePa & Spanier, you were both enablers to a serial pederast. Now if the Catholic Church would only be so bold...

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. — Graham B. Spanier, one of the longest-serving and highest-paid university presidents in the nation, who has helped raise the academic profile of Penn State during his tenure, stepped down Wednesday night in the wake of a sexual-abuse scandal involving a prominent former assistant football coach and the university’s failure to act to halt further harm.

Spanier’s departure came as the university’s Board of Trustees also ended the 84-year-old Joe Paterno’s career, denying him his wish to finish out the season, his 46th as the head football coach and his 62nd over all at the school.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/10/sports/ncaafootball/-joe-paterno-and-graham-spanier-out-at-penn-state.html

Sports and Church, it is all about the money...

Like the Roman Catholic Church, Penn State is an arrogant institution hiding behind its mystique. And sports, as my former fellow sports columnist at The Washington Star, David Israel, says, is “an insular world that protects its own, and operates outside of societal norms as long as victories and cash continue to flow bountifully.” Penn State rakes in $70 million a year from its football program.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/09/opinion/dowd-personal-foul-at-penn.html

(What do you think about that Ben-Weed Sander?)

Better hold onto your hats!

This sad story is about to become much much worse folks. Where is the outrage?? People here jumped all over Michael Vick and his dog fighting, yet not one voice of support for my pointed opinion???

Just one detractor from the Weed Chapter...

I have to say that I am surprised at the amount of support that Paterno is getting. People have actually protested his being fired. Huh? There seems to be no honour or sense of right and wrong in sports anymore. So sad how things have gotten. For me, this guy's reputation has been destroyed and he has no-one to blame but himself. No-one should cry a single tear for Paterno. Good riddance I say!

It embarasses me that we have people in this country who will put the love of a football coach who failed to act responsibly and with accountability over the compassion for the injustice and suffering of innocent children. I may be passionate about my alma mater. I may have an authority figure I admire and respect. But I hope I never forget that service to the weaker, injured, and unprotected deserve our attention more. To add insult to injury, students at Penn State chose to damage school and public property on their own campus as a protest and expression of anger?? I just don't get it.

It embarasses me that we have people in this country who will put the love of a football coach who failed to act responsibly and with accountability over the compassion for the injustice and suffering of innocent children. I may be passionate about my alma mater. I may have an authority figure I admire and respect. But I hope I never forget that service to the weaker, injured, and unprotected deserve our attention more. To add insult to injury, students at Penn State chose to damage school and public property on their own campus as a protest and expression of anger?? I just don't get it.

The same kind of ignorance is why this thing was kept quiet for so long.

My question for JoePa: If the graduate student reported that it was your grandson being raped, would you have acted differently? Would you have insisted that the police be called - at the least? Would you have NOT followed up with your boss on what was happening with the case?

Protecting children is the most important function of an educator!

Re. Sandusky: He should have been charged with child rape 13 years ago but the Centre County District Attorney Ray Gricar disappeared in 2005. His car was found down a river with his lap top and hard drive erased. But yet Penn State kept him as a football coach knowing he raped boys.

Sandusky allowed to run a 'charity' for disadvantaged boys since '78?

There are many unanswered questions, with more sadness to come.

I read all 17 pages of the Grand Jury indictment of Sandusky and felt sick to my stomach. I won't go back over what others have said on this thread about Paterno's culpability or PSU's arrogance and stupidity. There is blame enough to besmirch the University, the football organization at PSU, and yes even college athletics in general.

I am a little surprised that there isn't more outrage on this Forum about Sandusky's alleged molestation of young boys---and I deliberately use the word "boys" because most, if not all, his victims were under 12 as far as I know. When children are molested, especially boys, I cringe because the public and often the media look suspiciously at all homosexuals. Gay activists and the gay community as a whole need to condemn pedophiles, in no uncertain terms.

It is only a suspicion, but is it possible that some of us were subjected to similar molestation in our youth and were too embarassed or too afraid to report it? The lasting effects and the destructiveness of abuse cannot be overlooked and we all need to be on guard---in every aspect of our lives---to try and prevent it.

Hopefully the victims, if in fact the charges are proven to be true, are not overlooked in the media madness to expose Sandusky, and his enablers. But let's also hope that their identities are NOT somehow revealed---they deserve the respect of privacy and a chance to begin to heal, if they ever can.

http://cbspittsburgh.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/20111107_sandusky_grand_jury_presentment.pdf

here is a link to the grand jury report-I only read the first few pages and I say just take the guilty parties and throw them in jail immediately. They will then experience what those poor children had to endure.

Methinks Sandusky would last about two days in jail ... I understand that mother rapers, father stabbers, father rappers do NOT tolerate child molesters in jail.

If anyone saw the opening of the Nebraska / Penn State football game, it was truly stunning how people can come together.

Let the healing begin...

I hope this was a joke. Maybe we should check first with the kids who were raped by Sandursky and see how their healing is going. Because most of the senior school administration and in particular the football department was involved in the how debacle, I hope the school is, at the least, stopped from playing games. But then again I guess that would meaning losing millions of dollars and that ain't gonna happen.

This sad story is about to become much much worse folks. Where is the outrage?? People here jumped all over Michael Vick and his dog fighting, yet not one voice of support for my pointed opinion???

Just one detractor from the Weed Chapter...

Excellent point Glutes, Where is the outrage? The only outrage I see is the students who caused a riot because they were mad that he got fired. That in it self is an outrage to me. Why weren't schools officials down in the streets blasting these students for there dispicable actions.

I have to say that I am surprised at the amount of support that Paterno is getting. People have actually protested his being fired. Huh? There seems to be no honour or sense of right and wrong in sports anymore.

These are two separate issues.

For students at Penn State, their entire identity is proudly bound up in the Paterno football legacy. Their protests in support of Paterno were really protests against the loss of so much of their identity and pride. It leaves a gaping hole that won't be filled for a LONG time and Paterno, as figurehead, is just a representative of that loss. We saw similar student protests at UCLA when they were stripped of a championship and suspended from bowl play for a year.

Eventually it will sink in that Paterno was also part of the cause of that loss. But for now, he represents the loss of something dear and emotions will run hot.

NCAA may still act. They have the authority to suspend an athletic program, among other things. They've done it before, usually in response to recruiting improprieties. On the other hand, NCAA is also seen as a toothless organization that rarely takes action and when they do take action it takes everyone by surprise.

Then there's the problem of the money. Penn State football is a 70+ million dollar a year business (part of which goes directly into NCAA coffers).

I'd like to see the university's new president do what NCAA is unlikely to do. He should shut down the program for a year, fire everyone, and start from scratch. It's really the only way out. He won't be anxious to kill the golden goose, but the goose is fairly well cooked already.

This story won't be over for Penn State for a long time.

Everyone will be dealing with this for many years. I have heard now that some of the victims and their parents are going to bring civil suits, and the justice system is just starting to deal with the entire issue. We should all be outraged by this matter and the casual matter it was treated by everyone in the University, including Paterno. He may well still find him self in court over what he did not do. Just think... this started in 2002, but I wonder how long before that did this predator carry out his sick actions. Yes, most of the boys were under 12 from what I have been able to determine, but not everything has come out as yet, in spite of the Grand Jury's actions. I feel badly for the students, the football team and the University, but one has to wonder what was going on in the minds of so many people that they ignored what was clearly reprehensible and illegal behavior.

"Then there's the problem of the money. Penn State football is a 70+ million dollar a year business (part of which goes directly into NCAA coffers)."

I have the feeling that Penn State is going to need that 70 million (and more) to settle all of the civil suits that will be brought up against them.

Firm Yanks Sponsorship of Penn State Broadcasts

PSU might not be getting that income anymore...

The fallout surrounding Pennsylvania State University's child sex-abuse scandal has begun to make its way to Madison Avenue.

Citing the "allegations surrounding the Penn State Football program," Cars.com said it has pulled its sponsorship from two Penn State football games that are expected to air on Walt Disney Co.'s ESPN.

"As a proud, longtime supporter of ESPN College Football, it's important to us that we're building our brand and raising the visibility of our advertisers in a way that celebrates the sport, the dedication of its student athletes and the many reputable universities that field teams," Cars.com said in a statement.

Cars.com is a division of Classified Ventures, LLC, which is owned by companies such as Belo, Gannett Co., Inc., The McClatchy Company, Tribune Company and The Washington Post Company.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204224604577031021859600622.html?KEYWORDS=carscom

I read all 17 pages of the Grand Jury indictment of Sandusky and felt sick to my stomach. I won't go back over what others have said on this thread about Paterno's culpability or PSU's arrogance and stupidity. There is blame enough to besmirch the University, the football organization at PSU, and yes even college athletics in general.

I am a little surprised that there isn't more outrage on this Forum about Sandusky's alleged molestation of young boys---and I deliberately use the word "boys" because most, if not all, his victims were under 12 as far as I know. When children are molested, especially boys, I cringe because the public and often the media look suspiciously at all homosexuals. Gay activists and the gay community as a whole need to condemn pedophiles, in no uncertain terms.

It is only a suspicion, but is it possible that some of us were subjected to similar molestation in our youth and were too embarassed or too afraid to report it? The lasting effects and the destructiveness of abuse cannot be overlooked and we all need to be on guard---in every aspect of our lives---to try and prevent it.

Hopefully the victims, if in fact the charges are proven to be true, are not overlooked in the media madness to expose Sandusky, and his enablers. But let's also hope that their identities are NOT somehow revealed---they deserve the respect of privacy and a chance to begin to heal, if they ever can.

I read the Wiki entry on the case and was like: holy fuck. The idea that so many people turned their heads to allow to this not only happen, but continue to happen is beyond disturbing. I'm actually surprised Sandusky hasn't killed himself yet. And if it's true (according to current rumors) that Sandusky pimped out kids to wealthy Penn State benefactors, the shit hasn't even begun to hit the fan yet.

It is Second Mile, not PSU...

I read the Wiki entry on the case and was like: holy fuck. The idea that so many people turned their heads to allow to this not only happen, but continue to happen is beyond disturbing. I'm actually surprised Sandusky hasn't killed himself yet. And if it's true (according to current rumors) that Sandusky pimped out kids to wealthy Penn State benefactors, the shit hasn't even begun to hit the fan yet.

Maxwell, maybe you is not so smart:

"I can give you a rumor and I can give you something I think might happen," Madden said on the radio. "I hear there's a rumor that there will be a more shocking development from the Second Mile Foundation -- and hold on to your stomachs, boys, this is gross, I will use the only language I can -- that Jerry Sandusky and Second Mile were pimping out young boys to rich donors. That was being investigated by two prominent columnists even as I speak."

Archived