JoePa & Happy Valley (Penn State scandal)

glutes
This topic is 4513 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I'm sure JoePa transferred his property to protect himself, just like he did everything else to protect himself. Too bad he didn't think to protect those kids from being raped.

Probably, and I was thinking about his $500K pension, too.

In the OJ wrongful death lawsuit filed by the parents Ron Goldman, OJ retained the $14K monthly income from his pension. It wasn't used to help settle the $33,500,000 judgment.

So does protecting yourself for a lawsuit constitute knowledge of a criminal act in which someone might be held civilly liable? Does the behavior speak to JoePa's culpability?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Probably, and I was thinking about his $500K pension, too.

In the OJ wrongful death lawsuit filed by the parents Ron Goldman, OJ retained the $14K monthly income from his pension. It wasn't used to help settle the $33,500,000 judgment.

So does protecting yourself for a lawsuit constitute knowledge of a criminal act in which someone might be held civilly liable? Does the behavior speak to JoePa's culpability?

That is as they say the 64,000 dollar question. The news was reporting that it is speculated that the tranfer of property was done because he knew all of this was about to 'hit the fan' and he was trying at least to protect his assets. Funny how much time, energy and money is now being spent to protect there own interests, when nothing was done to protect the kids.

Maybe, maybe not.

I recently revised my will and the attorney recommended transferring assets (the house, really) to a personal trust to keep assets from getting wiped out in the event of a major health issue. Paterno is certainly of an age to have that be a worry, and he was approaching the end of his contract and probable retirement.

On one hand, the timing was right do do it *anyway*, but on the other hand... whoa.

Paterno didn't lawyer up until after the news hit. You'd think he'd have already done that if he had an inkling it was coming. He might have thought he'd waited it out and was setting up for retirement.

(Note that I'm not defending the bastard either way. He covered for a serial child abuser.)

He did not lawyer up that we know of...I am guessing that away from the public eye, alot more was going on than we may ever know about. If something doesn't smell right, it usually isn't. Mc Queary comes to mind. What did he know and did he really try and do something about this disgusting act

JoePa brings in the shysters...

Paterno hires D.C. criminal defense attorney Wick Sollers

By Catherine Ho / Washington Post

Joe Paterno has retained D.C. criminal defense attorney J. Sedwick “Wick” Sollers, Paterno’s son Scott Paterno

confirmed late Friday.

Sollers is the managing partner of King & Spalding’s Washington office and former chair of the firm’s government investigations practice. He is an experienced trial attorney who regularly represents companies in civil and criminal investigations and in the 1990’s, he represented George H.W. Bush in the Iran-Contra investigation.

A spokesperson for King & Spalding confirmed that Sollers is representing Paterno, but declined to comment further.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-business/post/paterno-hires-dc-criminal-defense-attorney-wick-sollers/2011/11/11/gIQAYTPKDN_blog.html

Let the flood gates open!

This is so unbelievable and so many of these guys are really dirty.

PSU, Citadel, and now Syracuse U. Let the flood gates open, as they should...

Syracuse University placed the associate head basketball coach Bernie Fine on administrative leave Thursday night after a former ball boy for the team told ESPN that he was molested by Fine.

Bobby Davis, 39, said that Fine molested him “hundreds of times” beginning in 1983, when he was entering seventh grade, and lasting more than 10 years.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/18/sports/ncaabasketball/syracuse-assistant-is-accused-of-sexual-abuse.html

as the Church Lady says, "How convenient!"

Cry me a river. If they don't find God, they find an illness...

[i/](CNN) -- Joe Paterno, the Penn State football coach who lost his job amid allegations of child sex abuse against his former defensive coordinator, has a treatable form of lung cancer, his son said Friday.

The family learned of the diagnosis after Paterno's follow-up visit last weekend for a bronchial illness, Scott Paterno said.[/i]

http://www.cnn.com/2011/11/18/us/pennsylvania-paterno/?hpt=hp_t1

Cry me a river. If they don't find God, they find an illness...

[i/](CNN) -- Joe Paterno, the Penn State football coach who lost his job amid allegations of child sex abuse against his former defensive coordinator, has a treatable form of lung cancer, his son said Friday.

Paterno could be Sandusky's actual pecker and at 84, he would never serve a day in jail.

Update on JoePa---just revealed, at least to my attention, that he has lung cancer. I am also NOT defending this guy, but it's possible some of his financial moves could be related to illness and age, as well as the sex stuff.

Syracuse U: my neice and her husband both work there, and I have many friends and relatives who are graduates, so this is much more personal than Penn State. Not sure what to think yet---supposedly the University and Syracuse city police have done investigations in the past on B. Fine, the ass't coach, and came up empty. Doesn't mean the guy is innocent, but there have been other cases of people being accused of child molestation where nothing took place---I don't remember the case but there was one in Southern California which dragged on for years and eventually the teachers in a school were found not guilty and psychologists who interviewed the children were found to be less than professional in their questioning, etc.

The man who has acccused Fine is now 39 years old and says the abuse took place when he was 10 years old and went on for at least 6 0r 7 years. His step-brother has also come forward and claims Fine abused him as well. If Fine is guilty, let him fry in hell even if the statute of limitations is passed; if he's innocent? He cannot get his reputation back, so he's more or less toast anyway. Pathetic. If these charges and denials do any good it may be that Syracuse U. will treat its basketball program--including Boeheim, the head coach,--and its players with much more openness and to use the current "in" word, transparency. For too long, in my opinion, talented BB players have been given preferential treatment at Syracuse and not always been given the best academic advice, let alone personal developnment for a career outside BB.

Samai -- the case you are thinking of was the McMartin preschool case. It really was a sham, started by a woman suffering from paranoid schizophrenia.

As far as Bernie Fine, there are serious doubts as to the veracity of the guy making the accusations. As you said, the police have investigated it and found nothing there. I fear we are nearing a point of McMartin hysteria and hope that cooler heads will prevail.

Not So Happy Valley...

This is what happens when you hire a child rapist and don't report his actions to the police when you find out what he's doing on your campus. And believe me...losing pool privileges is the least of the Paterno's concerns right now.

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. -- A person close to former Penn State coach Joe Paterno's family has told The Associated Press his wife was turned away from a campus pool.

Sue Paterno is an avid swimmer known for taking early-morning laps in the pool. The person who requested anonymity because of the sensitivity of the situation said Wednesday night the rejection left the family saddened.

University spokesman Bill Mahon told The Patriot-News of Harrisburg, which first reported the pool rejection, he was unaware of any directive. The school had said last week that Paterno still held tenure.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7275888/penn-state-nittany-lions-scandal-joe-paterno-wife-turned-away-campus-pool

Sunday night after Thanksgiving: just saw a Breaking News note that Syracuse University had fired Bernie Fine. All this after ESPN released a tape allegedly of Fine's wife talking to one of the accusers and saying she knew all about Bernie's behaviour. And a third accuser has surfaced. All kinds of police are now involved and Fine's house was searched. It is becoming more and more likely that Fine was guilty of something. SInce Coach Boeheim supported Fine so vehemently in the last two weeks, it will be interesting to see what he says THIS week.

Both cases--Penn State and now Syracuse---leave me disgusted. Innocent young boys preyed on (allegedly) by powerful men who feel they are somehow above the law.

Both cases--Penn State and now Syracuse---leave me disgusted. Innocent young boys preyed on (allegedly) by powerful men who feel they are somehow above the law.

Unfortunately, Samai, I don't think it is that they think they are above the law. The pedophile doesn't see it as abuse. They probably thought they really loved these kids. And that I think is the real problem.

I don't think it is that they think they are above the law.

Some do, some don't. For all practical purposes, for several decades these particular guys were, in fact, above the law.

The pedophile doesn't see it as abuse. They probably thought they really loved these kids. And that I think is the real problem.

Again, some do and some don't. It's been my experience that folks can talk themselves into damn near anything they really really want to do.

I would rather say that some don't much care about the effect on the kids; it's all about their own needs. Others experience affection but of an odd sort: they focus on (& give importance to) their own subjective feelings, not how the child may be responding.

I would rather say that some don't much care about the effect on the kids; it's all about their own needs. Others experience affection but of an odd sort: they focus on (& give importance to) their own subjective feelings, not how the child may be responding.

I think that may be the best way to put it -- they don't care about the effect on kids. Well said, Ms. Guy.

Boeheim is next...

As I said in a earlier post, the main obligation of a educator is to protect the child!

(11-27) 18:54 PST Syracuse, N.Y. (AP) --

Bernie Fine was fired Sunday by Syracuse University after a third man accused the assistant basketball coach of molesting him nine years ago.

"At the direction of Chancellor Cantor, Bernie Fine's employment with Syracuse University has been terminated, effective immediately," Kevin Quinn, the school's senior vice president for public affairs, said in a statement.

The 65-year-old Fine was in his 36th season at his alma mater. He had the longest active streak of consecutive seasons at one school among assistant coaches in Division I.

Zach Tomaselli, 23, of Lewiston, Maine, said Sunday that he told police that Fine molested him in 2002 in a Pittsburgh hotel room. He said Fine touched him "multiple" times in that one incident.

He was the third accuser to come forward in the investigation of child molestation allegations against Fine.

Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim said he supported the university's decision to fire his longtime assistant and expressed regret for his initial statements that might have been "insensitive to victims of abuse."

Archived