JoePa & Happy Valley (Penn State scandal)

glutes
This topic is 4513 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Maxwell, maybe you is not so smart:

"I can give you a rumor and I can give you something I think might happen," Madden said on the radio. "I hear there's a rumor that there will be a more shocking development from the Second Mile Foundation -- and hold on to your stomachs, boys, this is gross, I will use the only language I can -- that Jerry Sandusky and Second Mile were pimping out young boys to rich donors. That was being investigated by two prominent columnists even as I speak."

Glutes - how do you know that the rumor max heard is the same one? I'll bet there's more than one going around!

(Let's hope neither of them is true - for the sake of any possible victims.)

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The law requires the institution to report it.

The idea behind "chain of command" reporting requirements is that a supervisor can mitigate false reports from a overly-suspicious (or aggressively ambitious) co-worker. In states where classroom teachers are required to call police, police and social services waste a lot of time investigating cases where the kid really is just clumsy.

There are flaws in both types of systems, and abuse cases fall through the cracks in both.

From what I'm told, there was already a movement to change mandated reporting laws in PA. (Changing who people report to, not who's required to report.) This is, of course, adding fuel.

Let us review:

-Sandusky has 15 years history of known sexual assaults on children.

-Reports to law enforcement and college administration went nowhere.

-Investigation by district attorney ends with his computer and car found in Susquehanna River with hard drive wiped clean. Missing District Attorney has been declared legally dead.

-Predator Child Raper Sandusky is finally arrested on 40 counts of criminal sexual assaults on children. Released on unsecured bond (own reconnaissance - get out of jail free card) by judge who worked at 2nd Mile.

-Sandusky goes on talk show claiming innocence.

I am telling you folks, The Second Mile is going to be the next revelation, regardless of what maxwellissmart says...

Please, no rumours about this case---the facts, when they come out, will be more than enough to outrage the USA.

An aside: 32 replies to the original posting of this sex scandal; over 100 for "Good-bye to this forum." Interesting.

As you say, not all the facts are out yet.

As for number of posts...I think we all know that quantity does not always equal quality. I'd be more interested in the number of posters on each thread. I suspect the difference would not be as great.

So true. There's apparently an email from McQueary (what a name for this story!) claiming he did talk to police. If true, a LOT more heads will roll.

There are 10 more victims coming forward, and that usually begets even more.

There's plenty of a story here without rumors, and it's going to be unfolding for a good long time.

There are 10 more victims coming forward, and that usually begets even more.

I'm willing to bet a 67 year old man didn't start diddling little boys 15 years ago. I'd have to guess he's been doing something like this all his life. Maybe he began exercising greater and greater power, and to be less and less careful later in life, but he's being diddling little boys his whole life long.

An uncle of mine did something similar. As director of a psychological in-patient center who handled kids convicted of drug-related charges, he sexually abused and pimped out to donors the young men in his custody. He finally got caught and his board fired him for 'taking his clients out-of-state'.

Today, he'd be Bubba's fbuddy in some prison, but not 30 years ago. I cannot believe how he went unreported for so long much less uncharged. He abused his both sons, tried to abuse this nephew, and those poor guys in his center. When all of it finally came out, he admitted to doing it from his late teens.

That's the way these stories generally play out, yep.

There have been reports that Sandusky was turned down for head coaching jobs around the country (after it became clear that Paterno wasn't going to retire). You have to wonder if the word was out on him. It would be a mighty damning black mark on college athletics nationally if it turns out that people outside Penn State were keeping the secret too.

There is a new story out that Paterno quietly, two months ago, transferred title of his house to his wife for $1.00 they say it was for tax reasons, but many speculate that he knew the house of cards was about to fall and he was protecting his major asset ( valued at close to 600 k) from a civil action., which most certainly will happen.

As for number of posts...I think we all know that quantity does not always equal quality. I'd be more interested in the number of posters on each thread. I suspect the difference would not be as great.

Yes seeker, lol I was one of those posters of quantity rather than quality in "Good-bye to this Forum" Believe it or not when members such as yourself remind us of the hipocracy...I listen!! and despite my age, I realize that I should know better. Kudos to you for pointing this out..It might fall on some deaf ears, but I for one take note...and actually change my methods of dealing with fellow posters.

There is a new story out that Paterno quietly, two months ago, transferred title of his house to his wife for $1.00 they say it was for tax reasons, but many speculate that he knew the house of cards was about to fall and he was protecting his major asset ( valued at close to 600 k) from a civil action., which most certainly will happen.

I read that it was in July 2011. And the transfer was to his wife's trust. A $600k house may be a major asset, but a $500K/yr pension is a damn fine cashflow.

There maybe some estate tax situations that the transfer of a primary residence would be beneficial, but from all I've read today, becoming judgment proof might be a greater consideration that estate preservation.

FYI, the surname of the lawyer who filed the transaction is the same as the maiden name of Mrs. JoePa. So it could be a family affair thing, too.

1/2 a mil a year? Would he still get that if he is convicted in a civil trial?...I would guess that it is probably locked in somehow.

Well, first, you aren't 'convicted' in a civil trial - you're found liable and generally would be ordered by the court to make some kind of restitution. And yes, it is very difficult to take away someone's pension even in this case.

I am a little surprised that there isn't more outrage on this Forum about Sandusky's alleged molestation of young boys---and I deliberately use the word "boys" because most, if not all, his victims were under 12 as far as I know. When children are molested, especially boys, I cringe because the public and often the media look suspiciously at all homosexuals. Gay activists and the gay community as a whole need to condemn pedophiles, in no uncertain terms.

Samai -- you are right, of course. I have spent a fair amount of time over on Huffington Post and when someone "jokingly" tried to make the connection of Sandusky to homosexuality, I tried to rebut it. Sandusky is married. I've said here before that NAMLBA is a scourge on the gay community that we all need to fight at all cost.

The interview with Bob Costas was creepy. When asked if he was a pedophile, instead of strongly denying it, Sandusky first restated the question then rambled on about his love of children. That's the problem: they don't view it as abuse. The pedophile views it as love.

I was trying my damnedest to give him the presumption of innocence. We as Americans need to do that. But that interview was perhaps the worst legal strategy decision ever. That one answer was the answer of a pedophile. No doubt about that.

But the question I have is the grand jury has had this case for 18 months. With all this evidence, why did it take that long to indict. We all know a prosecutor can indict a ham sandwich.

And Sandusky's lawyer is a piece of work too. Impregnating a teenage client (16 or 17 years of age) when he was in his 40's. First thing someone convicted of child abuse should look for is someone who doesn't have something like that on their resume.

More will no doubt come out. But this is hardly the first case of someone in a position of authority over children abusing them. And unfortunately, it will be far from the last.

I can assure you that JoePa's house is not worth $600K unless it's for land or celebrity status. He lives in a tiny '60s ranch.

Despite your assurances, I quote NYTimes, 4th paragraph, second sentence: "Putting the house – valued at $594,484.40 — in his wife’s name is one way to equalize what each spouse owns for estate tax purposes."

http://bucks.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/11/16/joe-paternos-house-and-the-estate-tax-question-2/

Memory ain't that good lately, but I recall the $594,484 figure as being taken from county tax assessor's valuation. Could be high, could be low, but should be roughly in the ball park.

The $594 K figure was what was reported to the county in the transfer filing documents. The lawyers could have made it up, but they'd need to be able to justify the value along the way as his and her estates are settled.

"According to documents filed with the county, the house’s fair-market value was listed at $594,484.40."

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/16/sports/ncaafootball/in-july-paterno-transferred-ownership-of-home-to-his-wife-for-1.html?_r=2&src=tp&smid=fb-share

Interestingly, he bought the place in 1969 for $58K. That's a 1,025% return in 42 years, not bad.

The lawyers could have made it up, but they'd need to be able to justify the value along the way as his and her estates are settled.

Accountants, more likely, in concert with appraisers.

When the estate is settled, appraisers will assign the house a current market value. How it's valued on paper, right now, may or may not affect property taxes going forward but that's about it. (PA's property tax assessment system is a little screwy.)

Archived