A New Dog in My Life

Luv2play
This topic is 1385 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I've never put Lucky in a kennel too. When I was working and had a dog, she often would spend up to two weeks in kennels while I was overseas on business trips. Probably about a 50 times over 8 years. I regretted it but had no other option at the time. The only time Lucky has been away was when I was in the hospital for two operations and each time he stayed with my brother who has a dog as well. I don't travel overseas anymore since getting Lucky and with a cottage to go to, we can get a change of scene and still be together.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I've never met THAT Lucky. But I'm sure he behaves well at cocktail and dinner parties too, like my four-legged friend. Having been to Palm Springs several times eons ago, I can remember two legged animals that were not as well behaved in such social situations. But no-one, I would guess, who is a menber of this board. :)

• 8 years later...

I was going through this old thread and thought I would provide an update on my two dogs, 9 years later. After a long and great life, Lucky passed away a year ago January. While I did not know his exact age, he had lived about two years beyond the Belgian Shepherd‘s average of 11 years. He never had a sick day after our move in 2010 from Montreal. His clock just wound down over a period of about 6 months and in the end I had to have him put down, a decision I had to steel myself for but I was with him holding him at the end. Storm will be 10 this month, I guess, as I don’t know his exact age either, being a rescue dog. I finally got him trained and he has been the best buddy for 9 years. Right now he is sitting at my feet. He sleeps at the end of my bed. Shadow might have been a more appropriate name for him, as he follows me everywhere most of the time except when he is sleeping under a bush in the back yard during the hot summer days.

I was going through this old thread and thought I would provide an update on my two dogs, 9 years later. After a long and great life, Lucky passed away a year ago January. While I did not know his exact age, he had lived about two years beyond the Belgian Shepherd‘s average of 11 years. He never had a sick day after our move in 2010 from Montreal. His clock just wound down over a period of about 6 months and in the end I had to have him put down, a decision I had to steel myself for but I was with him holding him at the end. Storm will be 10 this month, I guess, as I don’t know his exact age either, being a rescue dog. I finally got him trained and he has been the best buddy for 9 years. Right now he is sitting at my feet. He sleeps at the end of my bed. Shadow might have been a more appropriate name for him, as he follows me everywhere most of the time except when he is sleeping under a bush in the back yard during the hot summer days.

Thanks for completing the circle. I hope you are considering another dog. I have two now, but I have had as many as 7. I am vaguely considering adopting another, but for now, I am waiting for my next friend to find me.

Duke, the 9 year old poodle whom I mentioned in my post in this thread in 2011, died four years later. This morning I opened a drawer, and discovered his favorite toy, which I didn't have the heart to throw away then. It still made me choke up.

I know how you feel. I kept Lucky’s collar and tags, and the hundreds of photos of him, a couple on my fridge door and others stored away in old cigar boxes. Every once in a while I will look at them and remember the good times with that dog. He was one of only three I have had over thirty years, and Storm is still with me. Sammy, my Labrador retriever, was my first, thirty years ago. My best memories of her were paddling my canoe with her in the bow, on a quiet summer morning at my cottage at a lake north of Ottawa. That and her swimming with me, she was just crazy about the water and totally at ease putting her head under water to look for frogs. In my case I have never given toys to my dogs as they seem to be happy without them.

Four years ago I found a dog in a Montreal park, abandoned and left tied to a fence. I took him home and have had him ever since and he has been a wonderful companion and great dog. I named him Lucky. We have since moved and now live in a small Ontario town in an old stone house close to the St Lawrence River. We love it here.

Three and a half weeks ago we were taking a walk at 10pm and came across a stray dog with no tags and seemingly abandoned. I took him home, thinking I would call the animal control people in the morning. There was a big storm that night and he jumped into bed with me. I decided to call him Storm.

The next day I took him to the vets and they called the SPCA to see if any dog had been reported missing. They looked him over and pronounced him a healthy, mixed breed, and fully intact male. The check with the SPCA turned up nothing. A week later I took him in for his shots and we again checked to see if anyone had been looking for him. Nothing.

I took him up to my cottage with Lucky and the two had a great time in the lake and running around. He never strayed and gets along well with Lucky. Storm is a loveable dog, likes to cuddle, is full of energy and gets along well with the neighbourhood children and other dogs. He is only about 8 months old and weighs 55 pounds and needs training which I am giving to him. I made one final check with the SPCA 3 weeks after finding him and they said that no dogs had been reported missing for the last month in my town and I could consider him mine, which I do now.

I happen to believe in serendipity and things happen in life which are wonderful if you just open your heart and life to the good things that come along. There are lots of awful things that go on too but one must not let those drag you down or make you hardened and cynical. Life is too precious to waste it on the negatives. There are lots of good things around, just like my little puppy, waiting to be appreciated.

Loved your story.

Even husbands, friends or lovers can fail on us.

Only mothers and dogs are capable of such unconditional love.