A New Dog in My Life

Luv2play
This topic is 1382 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Four years ago I found a dog in a Montreal park, abandoned and left tied to a fence. I took him home and have had him ever since and he has been a wonderful companion and great dog. I named him Lucky. We have since moved and now live in a small Ontario town in an old stone house close to the St Lawrence River. We love it here.

Three and a half weeks ago we were taking a walk at 10pm and came across a stray dog with no tags and seemingly abandoned. I took him home, thinking I would call the animal control people in the morning. There was a big storm that night and he jumped into bed with me. I decided to call him Storm.

The next day I took him to the vets and they called the SPCA to see if any dog had been reported missing. They looked him over and pronounced him a healthy, mixed breed, and fully intact male. The check with the SPCA turned up nothing. A week later I took him in for his shots and we again checked to see if anyone had been looking for him. Nothing.

I took him up to my cottage with Lucky and the two had a great time in the lake and running around. He never strayed and gets along well with Lucky. Storm is a loveable dog, likes to cuddle, is full of energy and gets along well with the neighbourhood children and other dogs. He is only about 8 months old and weighs 55 pounds and needs training which I am giving to him. I made one final check with the SPCA 3 weeks after finding him and they said that no dogs had been reported missing for the last month in my town and I could consider him mine, which I do now.

I happen to believe in serendipity and things happen in life which are wonderful if you just open your heart and life to the good things that come along. There are lots of awful things that go on too but one must not let those drag you down or make you hardened and cynical. Life is too precious to waste it on the negatives. There are lots of good things around, just like my little puppy, waiting to be appreciated.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes it is. I knew Lucky was mine really from the day I found him as he was so comfortable with me from the moment I untied him from that fence. But it was 3 months later that it was really confirmed. One cold rainy October night Lucky started to whine at the door and I took him out and we had only gone a few dozen feet when he had an attack of diahorea in the parking lot of my condo. I cleaned it up and we went back inside. I went to bed and about 2 hours later he was whining at the bedroom door again. Again I took him outside and we went down to an empty lot at the end of the parking lot about 100 feet away and he did his business there in the tall grass. We went back in and again I went to bed. A while later he was whining again. This time I opened the door, turned on the lights on the patio and let him go. I watched him run down the parking lot into the dark rainy night and he disappeared for a minute or two. I held my breath. Then out of the darkness I saw this blond dog running towards me and in he came. He went to sleep and that was it. The next morning he was as good as new. It must have been something he ate and he has never been sick again. I felt later that we had really bonded that night as I trusted him to return and he trusted me to be waiting at the door.

Guest Connoisseur

Hi Luv2play. It is truly a great thing you have done by providing a loving home to two dogs that others let down. Nice to read you are getting as much out of the relationships as the dogs are. I think how a person treats an animal says a great deal about that person's character and while you aren't being a caring and loving "parent" to be viewed better in the next world I believe your good deeds will be recognized and by more than the two dogs have joined your life. Always nice to read or hear about someone else with good character and particularly (as I am a parent myself) about someone who is doing the best by our four legged friends. Congratulations on your expanded family and I hope there are many more years of fun ahead for all of you !

I too found a very young dog along the street and I was so concerned the puppy was going to get hit by a car that I stopped and took her home with me. Once in the car she did this very strange thing that was a combination of a smile and a growl look but did not make any growling sound. It was as if she was curling her upper lip and showing her teeth.

Did the same thing and took her to the local shelter in case anyone was looking for her. Two days later the shelter called me and said there was no one looking for her, she was very sad and did I want her?

When I went back she did that strange "smile" again as soon as she saw me and I knew we were a pair. She is totally black, even her eyes and the shelter told me she was 3/4's Lab and 1/4 greyhound...so she would be fast and a runner and needed space which I had in my backyard.

They failed to tell me she was also stubborn and had a mind of her own.

She took a lot of love and a lot of work but everytime I had to discipline her she would stop and give me that strange smile as if saying "all is well and I love you".

I am fortunate that I live in a great neighborhood and when traveling for work they tend to her needs and visit her and many times take her into their homes....she now smiles at them too.

One of my favorite things is when I come home from a business trip and open the door hearing her whining on the other side and as soon as I open that door there she is giving me that same strange smile as when I found her on the roadside.

I cannot imagine my life without her.

Four years ago I found a dog in a Montreal park, abandoned and left tied to a fence. I took him home and have had him ever since and he has been a wonderful companion and great dog. I named him Lucky. We have since moved and now live in a small Ontario town in an old stone house close to the St Lawrence River. We love it here.

Three and a half weeks ago we were taking a walk at 10pm and came across a stray dog with no tags and seemingly abandoned. I took him home, thinking I would call the animal control people in the morning. There was a big storm that night and he jumped into bed with me. I decided to call him Storm.

The next day I took him to the vets and they called the SPCA to see if any dog had been reported missing. They looked him over and pronounced him a healthy, mixed breed, and fully intact male. The check with the SPCA turned up nothing. A week later I took him in for his shots and we again checked to see if anyone had been looking for him. Nothing.

I took him up to my cottage with Lucky and the two had a great time in the lake and running around. He never strayed and gets along well with Lucky. Storm is a loveable dog, likes to cuddle, is full of energy and gets along well with the neighbourhood children and other dogs. He is only about 8 months old and weighs 55 pounds and needs training which I am giving to him. I made one final check with the SPCA 3 weeks after finding him and they said that no dogs had been reported missing for the last month in my town and I could consider him mine, which I do now.

I happen to believe in serendipity and things happen in life which are wonderful if you just open your heart and life to the good things that come along. There are lots of awful things that go on too but one must not let those drag you down or make you hardened and cynical. Life is too precious to waste it on the negatives. There are lots of good things around, just like my little puppy, waiting to be appreciated.

Amen Luv! The Best in the Future to your little Family for Many Year's to come!

Earlier this year, we adopted a nine year old miniature poodle from a shelter, where he had been placed after his owner died. He seemed to be almost in shock from the sudden change in his life, and although a poodle was not a breed I ever wanted to own, we couldn't resist his sad story and took him home. The first week he was polite and quite passive, but once he realized this was going to be a permanent home, he became a bundle of energy, and has brought us much joy. Obviously, we won't have him as long as we would if we had got a puppy, but old dogs need love, too (I should know).

Guest Connoisseur
Earlier this year, we adopted a nine year old miniature poodle from a shelter, where he had been placed after his owner died. He seemed to be almost in shock from the sudden change in his life, and although a poodle was not a breed I ever wanted to own, we couldn't resist his sad story and took him home. The first week he was polite and quite passive, but once he realized this was going to be a permanent home, he became a bundle of energy, and has brought us much joy. Obviously, we won't have him as long as we would if we had got a puppy, but old dogs need love, too (I should know).

Another great story about a mutually beneficial relationship between a dog and it's family - who could get enough of them :). Thanks for sharing. As for the "old dogs need love too", absolutely the case and its been sort of nice to find some younger guys that like us old dogs (the human sort this time) - or at least pretend to genuinely luv us for a few hours, a night or a weekend. Live long and prosper (and each of us may define prosper differently) everyone !

Thank you all for your warm responses to my little story. As I write this the two dogs are lying at my feet, having had another full day of exercise and games. I take them everywhere in the car with me on my little errands. Living in a small town, a lot of people know you by your dogs, even if they don't know your name. They know the dogs' names. Lucky has been with me long enough and is so well behaved that I can take him everywhere, even to cocktail and dinner parties. The new dog, Storm, needs to get trained so that he will act well in these social situations as well. The next few months I will be seeing that he gets this training. He is off to a good start.

I first noticed "taking a dog everywhere" many years ago when I first went to England. Going into a local pub to relieve the long journey I noticed more than one dog with his caretaker. It wasn't a culture shock being the dog lover that I am but it was different from what I observed at home. However, there are always several cultural differences, aren't there? A friend of mine who was with me in England on another trip was severely chastised by staff for combing his hair at a snack bar. It was 0600 and there were only 3 people there, my friend and me plus the staff person. I suppose rules are rules.

I think FL has passed a law allowing dogs to accompany patrons at some eateries, a step in the right direction.

With the example of Lucky and your patience, I am sure Storm will very soon learn the "ropes" of societal intercourse.

Best regards,

KMEM