gay life beyond the hookup

NYTomcat
This topic is 4730 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Ok a question. As a newly out gay man I'm.noticing a plethora of sites devoted to hooking up and the like. But I also have a client who is looking to market to the gay community. Are there gay sites. Or even NY area based gay publications that focus less on hookups dating cruising and more on gay... life if you will.

God knows as an audience we purchase more fashion and cosmetics and plastic surgery than the average male. Where do you look for this kind of info and is there any gay centered media focused on the same

Ok a question. As a newly out gay man I'm.noticing a plethora of sites devoted to hooking up and the like. But I also have a client who is looking to market to the gay community. Are there gay sites. Or even NY area based gay publications that focus less on hookups dating cruising and more on gay... life if you will.

God knows as an audience we purchase more fashion and cosmetics and plastic surgery than the average male. Where do you look for this kind of info and is there any gay centered media focused on the same

The Advocate would be a good place to start.

I agree with Decatur Guy, The Advocate is a standard as is its sister publication OUT. In fact, my understanding is Advocate is now only a supplement included with subscription copies of OUT. There are other gay-oriented magazines but those are the main ones.

There was an interesting website called manjam that came out a few years ago that has attempted to bridge the hookup and lifestyle divide. I'm not sure if that's what you're looking for but you can check it out at http://www.manjam.com. It didn't seem to really take off though.

If you could tell us what he's looking to market that could help. Here in SF the bus shelter ads and billboards in the Castro are very much targeted to the gay audience. They are used to promote anything from websites to booze. Then there are promotions with people passing out free products in bars or on the street. Also sponsorships of the film festival or Pride can bring exposure.

OUT and ADVOCATE are wash up mags, with readership dwindling. I imagine they will close up shop in the next five years because gay friendly lifestyle mags like details and GQ are much more 'with it' and current. besides, who wants to read about the same shit over and over again anyway. Most gay rags are rehash.

Gay City News, unlike many of the gay newspapers around the country, is composed primarily of new content produced by staff and contributing writers. It is distributed in hard copy in the NYC metro area (mainly in Manhattan) and is widely read on-line. New copy is generally posted midweek.

God knows as an audience we purchase more fashion and cosmetics and plastic surgery than the average male.

I really don't think that's true. Everywhere we travel, we notice that it's the straight guys who are very into fashion and getting dolled up, much more so than "the gays." They've definitely discovered their inner queens, while many gay guys now embrace being ungroomed, natural bears. And I know lots of gay guys who are "average males"! :)

Archived