Anyone have exciting plans for Judgement Day?

rossthebosssf
This topic is 4591 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

"the taking up into heaven of God's elect people will take place on May 21, 2011 at 6 p.m. local time (the rapture will sweep the globe time zone by time zone)..."

Keep your pants on. We've a few hours to go yet. (Cursory research fails to reveal whether Yahweh intends to honor daylight savings time.)

Then that should mean the folks on Christmas Island in the Indian Ocean may be the first to go.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My favorite rapture tweet:

"What these rapture assholes don't realize is that if it DOESN'T happen, and they remain here, it's still hell on earth for the rest of us."

(From Lizz Winstead, political satirist and co creator of The Daily Show)

For what it's worth, I'm still here.

THE END OF THE WORLD EXPERIENCE packages

You're damned skippy it will be...and for those of you who are still interested, I'm still offering the following packages for the Rapture:

END OF THE WORLD CELEBRATION package You and your loved ones will have general seating to witness Earth's final destruction. This also comes with a free bottle of champagne for you to enjoy at the "afterglow" fireworks party.

END OF THE WORLD VIP experience YOU will excperience the end of the world like nobody else as you go BACKSTAGE as you tour what it takes to destroy the world!! You will ALSO get a FREE DVD showing the end of the world and complimentary passes to the END OF THE WORLD pre AND post party

END OF THE WORLD DELUXE VIP experience YOU and 50 of your closest friends will get free souvenir T-SHIRTs and END OF THE WORLD FUN ACTIVITY PACKS and then all of you will be BLOWN up along with the world (note that we are not responsible for the loss of any lives or personal effects that happen during the END OF THE WORLD along with a complimentary DVD showing the world ending. You will also get a complimentary catered gourmet dinner AFTER the END OF THE WORLD (for you and anybody else who may have survived). After the complimentary dinner, you will head to the ENDC OF THE WORLD theme park so you can spend ONE glorious fun-filled day of entertainment (assuming there's any land left to enjoy entertainment!!)

A lot of people are really getting into rapture-related humor:

http://cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/05/21/6690884-left-behind-by-humorgeddon

It's going to be a good week for late night comedians.

My favorite rapture tweet:

"What these rapture assholes don't realize is that if it DOESN'T happen, and they remain here, it's still hell on earth for the rest of us."

(From Lizz Winstead, political satirist and co creator of The Daily Show)

For what it's worth, I'm still here.

Or...we can give THEM Hell! :)

Iceland has been hit an hour ago

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/eu_iceland_volcano

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/ap/20110521/capt.39a92e0ffdfa4328a4013512b560b231-39a92e0ffdfa4328a4013512b560b231-0.jpg http://d.yimg.com/a/p/ap/20110522/capt.282df17edcea4e089dba6c59dd7fc166-79d74a2777e9422eb51ebc175be25ae7-0.jpg

REYKJAVIK, Iceland – Iceland's most active volcano has started erupting, scientists said Saturday — just over a year after another eruption on the North Atlantic island shut down European air traffic for days.

Iceland's Meteorological Office confirmed that an eruption had begun at the Grimsvotn volcano, accompanied by a series of small earthquakes. Smoke could be seen rising from the volcano, which lies under the uninhabited Vatnajokull glacier in southeast Iceland.

A no fly zone has been designated for 120 nautical miles (220 kilometers) in all directions from the eruption. Isavia, the company that operates and develops all airport facilities and air navigation services in Iceland, described this as standard procedure around eruptions.

"The plume of smoke has reached jet flying altitude and plans have been made for planes flying through Icelandic air control space to fly southwardly tonight," said Hjordis Gudmundsdottir, the spokeswoman for Isavia.

Grimsvotn last erupted in 2004. Scientists have been expecting a new eruption and have said previously that this volcano's eruption will likely be small and should not lead to the air travel chaos caused in April 2010 by ash from the Eyjafjallajokull volcano.

History shows that previous eruptions in Grimsvotn have not had much influence on flight traffic — unlike the massive disruption caused last year.

Pall Einarsson, geophysicist at the University of Iceland, said last year's eruption was a rare event.

"The ash in Eyjafjallajokull was persistent or unremitting and fine-grained," Einarsson said. "The ash in Grimsvotn is more coarse and not as likely to cause danger as it falls to the ground faster and doesn't stay as long in the air as in the Eyjafjallajokull eruption."

A plane from the Icelandic Coast Guard carrying experts from the University of Iceland will fly over the volcano and evaluate the situation.

One eyewitness, Bolli Valgardsson, said the plume rose quickly several thousand feet (meters) into the air.

Sparsely populated Iceland is one of the world's most volcanically active countries and eruptions are frequent.

Eruptions often cause local flooding from melting glacier ice, but rarely cause deaths.

Last year's Eyjafjallajokul eruption left some 10 million air travelers stranded worldwide after winds pushed the ash cloud toward some of the world's busiest airspace and led most northern European countries to ground all planes for five days.

Whether widespread disruption occurs again will depend on how long the eruption lasts, how high the ash plume rises and which way the wind blows.

In November, melted glacial ice began pouring from Grimsvotn, signaling a possible eruption. That was a false alarm but scientists have been monitoring the volcano closely ever since.

The volcano also erupted in 1998, 1996 and 1993. The eruptions have lasted between a day and several weeks.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/eu_iceland_volcano

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/ap/20110521/capt.39a92e0ffdfa4328a4013512b560b231-39a92e0ffdfa4328a4013512b560b231-0.jpg http://d.yimg.com/a/p/ap/20110522/capt.282df17edcea4e089dba6c59dd7fc166-79d74a2777e9422eb51ebc175be25ae7-0.jpg

REYKJAVIK, Iceland – Iceland's most active volcano has started erupting, scientists said Saturday — just over a year after another eruption on the North Atlantic island shut down European air traffic for days.

Iceland's Meteorological Office confirmed that an eruption had begun at the Grimsvotn volcano, accompanied by a series of small earthquakes. Smoke could be seen rising from the volcano, which lies under the uninhabited Vatnajokull glacier in southeast Iceland.

A no fly zone has been designated for 120 nautical miles (220 kilometers) in all directions from the eruption. Isavia, the company that operates and develops all airport facilities and air navigation services in Iceland, described this as standard procedure around eruptions.

"The plume of smoke has reached jet flying altitude and plans have been made for planes flying through Icelandic air control space to fly southwardly tonight," said Hjordis Gudmundsdottir, the spokeswoman for Isavia.

Grimsvotn last erupted in 2004. Scientists have been expecting a new eruption and have said previously that this volcano's eruption will likely be small and should not lead to the air travel chaos caused in April 2010 by ash from the Eyjafjallajokull volcano.

History shows that previous eruptions in Grimsvotn have not had much influence on flight traffic — unlike the massive disruption caused last year.

Pall Einarsson, geophysicist at the University of Iceland, said last year's eruption was a rare event.

"The ash in Eyjafjallajokull was persistent or unremitting and fine-grained," Einarsson said. "The ash in Grimsvotn is more coarse and not as likely to cause danger as it falls to the ground faster and doesn't stay as long in the air as in the Eyjafjallajokull eruption."

A plane from the Icelandic Coast Guard carrying experts from the University of Iceland will fly over the volcano and evaluate the situation.

One eyewitness, Bolli Valgardsson, said the plume rose quickly several thousand feet (meters) into the air.

Sparsely populated Iceland is one of the world's most volcanically active countries and eruptions are frequent.

Eruptions often cause local flooding from melting glacier ice, but rarely cause deaths.

Last year's Eyjafjallajokul eruption left some 10 million air travelers stranded worldwide after winds pushed the ash cloud toward some of the world's busiest airspace and led most northern European countries to ground all planes for five days.

Whether widespread disruption occurs again will depend on how long the eruption lasts, how high the ash plume rises and which way the wind blows.

In November, melted glacial ice began pouring from Grimsvotn, signaling a possible eruption. That was a false alarm but scientists have been monitoring the volcano closely ever since.

The volcano also erupted in 1998, 1996 and 1993. The eruptions have lasted between a day and several weeks.

Yep, the beginning of the end...

It's been a mixed weekend for me ... I was clearly not called up into the rapture as I sit here typing.

I discovered my car missing from where it had been parked about coincidently, 6:30pm on the 21st

(might it have had a mind of its own?) The police report presumes stolen, since it had not been towed.

I played a concert with a community orchestra today, and (having listend to the recording) I'm rapturous that after only 3 lessons with a new teacher that I'm sounding much more of what I've wanted to sound like than with 3 semesters of study with the previous one... that is indeed making me feel *some* kind of rapture ...

Not wishing to cast any aspersions on Lohengrin's strerling character, but having noticed a very recent post by him, I would assume the he, also, was not called up into the rapture, and consequently was able to sing his solo in the Verdi Requiem and also hope that it went as well for him as he wished :)

Well, with the rabid Christian right folks gone, I guess we can finally legalize gay marriage and (why not?) prostitution. (I'd miss the "make the world a better place" Christians, but according to the extreme Independent Baptist types, the liberal Christians would stay right here with us anyway.)

Well, I have two things to say about us "liberal Christians".

1. We're embarrassed to be associated with all those who give the rest of Christians a bad reputation. There may seem to be a lot of them (politicians, abusive priests/pastors, fundamentalists and ultra conservatives, etc.), but it IS important to remember they are a minority. God does love them too, but I'm sure God's embarrassed by their behavior too.

2. Concerning this whole "end of the world" thing ... we knew better.

Camping With Harold / Apocalypse Later

http://imgs.sfgate.com/n/p/2011/05/23/bea2359a-4efc-4343-b0bd-6bdcc72f99b8_part6.jpg

The end is still near, radio preacher Harold Camping said in a broadcast Monday night, but the world will be around until Oct. 21.

Camping, the 89-year-old East Bay preacher who gained international fame with his prediction that the rapture would come at 6 p.m. Saturday, said that he misinterpreted the Bible and that May 21 was not really the end of the world but the spiritual beginning of the physical end.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/05/23/BAH01JK1GT.DTL#ixzz1NFVtS300

I discovered my car missing from where it had been parked about coincidently, 6:30pm on the 21st

Are you sure your car was taken in the Rapture? Just wondering.

I played a concert with a community orchestra today, and (having listend to the recording) I'm rapturous that after only 3 lessons with a new teacher that I'm sounding much more of what I've wanted to sound like than with 3 semesters of study with the previous one... that is indeed making me feel *some* kind of rapture ...

Congrats on your improvement. What music did you play? Were you in the orcehstra or were you the soloist? I love a good oboist. I have ever since I did the Bach BWV 56 "Ich Habe Genug" for my senior recital many, many decades ago (I think it was shortly after the world premier -- sometime the early 1750's. :) ). A lovely instrument when played well.

Not wishing to cast any aspersions on Lohengrin's strerling character, but having noticed a very recent post by him, I would assume the he, also, was not called up into the rapture, and consequently was able to sing his solo in the Verdi Requiem and also hope that it went as well for him as he wished :)

It did go very well. Thank you. :)

Lohengrin1979

Are you sure your car was taken in the Rapture? Just wondering.

I learned yesterday afternoon that it could not have been taken in the Rapture, because it was taken to Oakland, denuded of headlights, taillights, front left quarter panel, rear bumper and one license plate ... haven't seen the car yet, that's just what the towing yard administrator said ... still dealing with insurance.

Congrats on your improvement. What music did you play? Were you in the orchestra or were you the soloist?

I played 1st oboe in Tchaikovsky Symphony #3 (some small but audible solos in there), 2nd oboe in Elgar's Cello Concerto.

• 3 weeks later...

I hope Harold Camping gets well. I'd hate for him to miss October 22nd.

(CBS News)

Last Updated 2:38 p.m. ET

Harold Camping, the Family Radio minister who inaccurately predicted that the world would experience Judgment Day last May 21, has suffered a stroke.

Camping, the 89-year-old head of the Oakland-based evangelical media company, suffered a stroke on Thursday night after a radio broadcast and was taken to a local hospital, according to a message posted on a Family Radio-oriented Yahoo group by Charlie Menut, station manager of Family Radio affiliate WFME.

Read more: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/06/13/national/main20070762.shtml#ixzz1PD1MwKwT

Archived