Ricky Martin comes out FINALLY

EXPAT
This topic is 5142 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ricky Martin

Ricky's announcement was given major attention on FOX news here in DC last night. It was a very tasteful and well done announcement with video of his dancing and singing. For a lot of people, it will not be "news" but given all his other wonderful qualities, it is certainly newsworthy and I for one congratulate him on how he has handled this.

I find it typical for Faux news to give something like this major attention. Trust me it was not to make sure their uneducated viewers are well informed, but rather to disgrace Ricky Martin in front of all their Christian viewers. Faux news is champions in their method. I think you would find the World to be a different place if you did not watch FOX at all.

Desperation

If Ricky had had the courage to come out in 2000, he might still have a career. At the time I saw him as cowardly and was completely turned off. Everyone knew he was gay so he managed to turn off gay and straight fans alike by not being brave enough to come out. Coming out now smacks of "old news" and desperation.

If Ricky had had the courage to come out in 2000, he might still have a career. At the time I saw him as cowardly and was completely turned off. Everyone knew he was gay so he managed to turn off gay and straight fans alike by not being brave enough to come out. Coming out now smacks of "old news" and desperation.

I TOTALLY agree. Ricky Martin's career is over, he has made his bundle, and now, with nothing to lose, he admits something which everyone knew anyway. This did not take guts and he is not a gay personality to emulate.

I can think of other gay entertainers who came out in the middle of their careers, when they had a lot on the line. Admittedly, not many but Ellen Degeneris and kd lang come to mind. They had the guts to come out and their careers were not hurt.

IMO, Ricky's "coming out" is no victory for the gay community. He took the expedient way out, denying and dissimulating until it didn't matter any more. As far as I am concerned, he isn't worth the bother.

I TOTALLY agree. Ricky Martin's career is over, he has made his bundle, and now, with nothing to lose, he admits something which everyone knew anyway. This did not take guts and he is not a gay personality to emulate.

I can think of other gay entertainers who came out in the middle of their careers, when they had a lot on the line. Admittedly, not many but Ellen Degeneris and kd lang come to mind. They had the guts to come out and their careers were not hurt.

IMO, Ricky's "coming out" is no victory for the gay community. He took the expedient way out, denying and dissimulating until it didn't matter any more. As far as I am concerned, he isn't worth the bother.

Well that warm welcome is certainly inducement for all closeted gay celebrities to come out. :mad:

Well that warm welcome is certainly inducement for all closeted gay celebrities to come out. :mad:

Deej, you beat me to it... I had the same sad thought.

Just today, returning downtown on a beautiful bright Easter Sunday, jumped on a pretty crowded subway, half-tourists, half natives.

Two very gay guys started making out loud comments about... let's see, "Who can we insult today?" the Pope, Catholics, Jews, foreigners... and then they started camping it up for the entertainment of locals and consternation of the tourists - some whose English was limited as they tried to figure out a loud garbled Transit announcement about the 1,2, and 3 lines - then the couple kissed each other as one jumped off, and two stops later the other got off, and then the comments went flying (I speak a few foreign languages and the comments from the unsuspecting out-of-towners from Europe were funny on how boorish these two were).

Of course this is not limited to us gays, but sometimes we can be our own worst enemies.

(Of course, I then took the PATH to Jersey and had an even more boorish upper crust couple who were talking all sorts of out loud nonsense making everyone else in the car uncomfortable. Geez I wonder how many peple realize they talk TOO DAMN LOUD and it comes from constantly shouting into their cell phones in public... )

Whew... had a vodka and got this off my chest today.

Wow, luv. A little nasty there. I say better late than never.

I agree, Lucky. Ricky had every right to come out on his own terms, just like every other person does. Coming out is a deeply personal journey and no one should tell anyone else when or how they do it.

Of course this is not limited to us gays, but sometimes we can be our own worst enemies.

Whew... had a vodka and got this off my chest today.

Well, the only official sport of gay men is dissing after all.

I hoist my own adult beverage in the general direction of yours for an air toast. :p

Wow, luv. A little nasty there. I say better late than never.

Well, maybe a little nasty but frankly I don't agree with better late than never. Ricky's admission now to being gay doesn't call for congratulations IMO. He lied about it for too long when he was asked. I know there are lots of gays in the closet but they don't serve the cause of equality for everyone at all. They merely submit to the tyranny of the majority. No courage there.

Years ago, I came out and I paid for it in terms of my career. That was a big reason for why I took an early retirement. I was particularly galled when I discovered a colleague, who was married and had two kids, got the promotion over me that I felt I deserved. After he was well ensconced, his wife left him when she found out he was gay. He left shortly afterwards, got out of the government completely.

Today might be different, at least in Canada, where gay marriage is legal and discrimination against gays is illegal. But 25 years ago, that was not the case. Some of us don't forget.

So you project your issues onto others?

If Ricky Martin was interested in a career boost, he would have done a magazine cover the way Clay Aiken, Neil Patrick Harris, and Sean Hayes did.

He just quietly put it on his blog. I don't see a big ploy in play here.

So you project your issues onto others?

Is this any different than applying your experience to current situations? In the fight for gay liberation, there were those who fought on the front lines, those who led by example, and those who cowered in the shadows. Some of those who cowered actually sought to sabotage the cause, as we still see today with self-loathing gays who parade as Evangelical preachers or right-wing "family issue" politicians until they are defrocked (I don't need to name names, you know who there are).

It was because of the fight, just like the civil rights fight in the US, that today the younger gays can take for granted freedoms denied those who came before them. Ricky Martin was a huge presence in the entertainment field in the ninties, today he is gone from the scene. Coming out then would have been the brave thing to do and Barbara Walters gave him the opportunity. He declined. So for him, I couldn't care less. He's no role model for gays IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived