Ricky Martin comes out FINALLY

EXPAT
This topic is 5142 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Michaelangelo Signorile reported today on his 4 hour radio show that Ricky Martin has finally come out of the closet in his blog today. Michael read the entry on the air.

http://img.perezhilton.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/wenn2729487rm__oPt.jpg

Here is his blog entry

"A few months ago I decided to write my memoirs, a project I knew was going to bring me closer to an amazing turning point in my life. From the moment I wrote the first phrase I was sure the book was the tool that was going to help me free myself from things I was carrying within me for a long time. Things that were too heavy for me to keep inside. Writing this account of my life, I got very close to my truth. And this is something worth celebrating.

For many years, there has been only one place where I am in touch with my emotions fearlessly and that's the stage. Being on stage fills my soul in many ways, almost completely. It's my vice. The music, the lights and the roar of the audience are elements that make me feel capable of anything. This rush of adrenaline is incredibly addictive. I don't ever want to stop feeling these emotions. But it is serenity that brings me to where I'm at right now. An amazing emotional place of comprehension, reflection and enlightenment. At this moment I'm feeling the same freedom I usually feel only on stage, without a doubt, I need to share.

Many people told me: "Ricky it's not important", "it's not worth it", "all the years you've worked and everything you've built will collapse", "many people in the world are not ready to accept your truth, your reality, your nature". Because all this advice came from people who I love dearly, I decided to move on with my life not sharing with the world my entire truth. Allowing myself to be seduced by fear and insecurity became a self-fulfilling prophecy of sabotage. Today I take full responsibility for my decisions and my actions.

If someone asked me today, "Ricky, what are you afraid of?" I would answer "the blood that runs through the streets of countries at war…child slavery, terrorism…the cynicism of some people in positions of power, the misinterpretation of faith." But fear of my truth? Not at all! On the contrary, It fills me with strength and courage. This is just what I need especially now that I am the father of two beautiful boys that are so full of light and who with their outlook teach me new things every day. To keep living as I did up until today would be to indirectly diminish the glow that my kids where born with. Enough is enough. This has to change. This was not supposed to happen 5 or 10 years ago, it is supposed to happen now. Today is my day, this is my time, and this is my moment.

These years in silence and reflection made me stronger and reminded me that acceptance has to come from within and that this kind of truth gives me the power to conquer emotions I didn't even know existed.

What will happen from now on? It doesn't matter. I can only focus on what's happening to me in this moment. The word "happiness" takes on a new meaning for me as of today. It has been a very intense process. Every word that I write in this letter is born out of love, acceptance, detachment and real contentment. Writing this is a solid step towards my inner peace and vital part of my evolution.

I am proud to say that I am a fortunate homosexual man. I am very blessed to be who I am.

RM"

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A very moving testament. Ricky Martin has done it his own way and when he was finally ready, and for this, I am happy that he has found peace.

Personally, I think (I hope?) the music industry would be more acceptable and understanding. He is talented, handsome and he has a great outlook. I hope that this only turns a page in an already incredible life, and if anything, his success becomes even greater.

What a wonderful piece of writing

Deej... the link that you have posted does not work for me. Yahoo says it is not available. Can you double check to see if it correct?

I hope this is just the beginning of his career. I have always admired him for his music, his good looks and his devotion to his two sons. There are some hot pictures of him on the beach with his "brother" that indicate he has a lot of wonderful equipment besides a fantastic voice and ability to entertain. I wish nothing but the very best for him and hopefully his book will inspire a lot of young people to be more open.

Maybe

Perhaps it's not news . . or maybe it's old news . . . isn't that an oxymoron? :)

Whoever you are . . . wherever or whenver you do it . . . coming out takes courage . . . the courage to reveal the truth about yourself to others . . . the courage to be true to yourself. It's challenging for everyone . . . even Latin pop stars. ;) He is to be applauded. :)

Guest OCBeachbody

Hmmm well if he is finally comfortable sure..... but how many times must you come out of the closet? A few weeks ago Sean Hayes did that, now Ricky Martin comes out? I thought there guys were already.... known but not confirmed? Well cheers RM!

Bless him.

Gay or not, shocking or not, bless him and his children. Ricky Martin should not be defined solely by his sexual orientation, but rather by his music and his significant charity work for the less fortunate and most vulnerable children in this world. He didn't feel like coming out before. Now he does. "When" and "how" he should come out is his decision & no one else's.

Goodfella

Ricky Martin is well-groomed, gym-fit, polite, well-mannered, confident, articulate, charitable, dresses well, exudes masculinity, has impeccable skin and hair, sports a neatly trimmed 5 o'clock shadow and is an amazing dancer. Is there a man, woman or child alive today who ever thought Ricky Martin WASN'T gay?:)

Major News Story

Ricky's announcement was given major attention on FOX news here in DC last night. It was a very tasteful and well done announcement with video of his dancing and singing. For a lot of people, it will not be "news" but given all his other wonderful qualities, it is certainly newsworthy and I for one congratulate him on how he has handled this.

news vs. "news"

Of course he's been widely rumored to be gay for a long time, and he has always answered media questions in a non-commital manner. What is news is that now he is saying it openly, instead of all this wink and nod stuff. And that is the kind of "out" we need to make progress. Congratulations to him!

Cousin? Brother? Secret Lover??

I have seen this picture and several similar ones... at times the other guy was a cousin, in one it was a brother, and one labeled the guy as a very, very close "friend"... only Ricky knows for sure. I have not seen any of Ricky with this guy recently. Maybe some of our friends in Miami know the real story.

D.i.l.f

Ricky is a hot DILF. I'm glad he's finally out and proud. And, with a tight butt like his, I'm praying he's a power bottom. Wolff!

http://cache.gawker.com/hollywood/rickymartinandfriend.jpg

http://www.insidesocal.com/outinhollywood/RickyMartin.jpg

HE Bangs.

I thought Ricky had already come out. My money's on Enrique Iglesias to come out next. :)

http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/_/27611845/Enrique+Iglesias+enrique_iglesias.jpghttp://hotmusicbeat.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/blog5-enrique-iglesias.jpg

Non-committal?

Of course he's been widely rumored to be gay for a long time, and he has always answered media questions in a non-commital manner.

"I perceive the contemporary world as an open forum, where nothing is taboo except criminal activity. If I were gay, why not admit it? ... I am a normal man. I love women and sex. I am a real hot-blooded Puerto Rican, but I have never been attracted by sex with a man." RM

"I'm gay-friendly—I'm not gay." RM

Archived