Lucky's Spring Theater Choices

Lucky
This topic is 5140 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

With so many new shows in the works, a theater buff like me has to make two visits to New York to take in all of the shows I am interested in. Some shows that were on my list are now starting to fall off, so I though I would ask those who know to help me decide which of those to keep on the list.

So far, the certainties are: Next Fall...Mr. & Mrs. Fitch...Red...Come Fly Away...The Pride...La Cage Aux Folles...Lips Together, Teeth Apart...and Fences and Enron.

I have room for 3 more shows. My list includes Present Laughter...Time Stands Still...A Behanding in Spokane...The Glass Menagerie...Looped...and Yanks.

That means 3 show have to fall by the wayside. I am leaning towards picking Yanks, Looped, and either The Glass Menagerie or Present Laughter. In the case of the Glass Menagerie, the show, with the same cast, will head to LA after New York, although I like seeing shows in New York more than in LA.

Is there anything that SHOULD be on my list but isn't? What choices would you make in a similar situation?

Thanks for the advice.

Lucky

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Promises Promises

There is a revival of Promises Promises opening in April starring Sean Hayes and my favorite performer of all time - Kristin Chenoweth. She is the most adorable thing ever, has a huge voice, and just lights up the stage. Seeing her in perform in person is a real treat. I will admit that I haven't seen the show and don't really know much about it, but I'm planning a trip just to see KC.

Looped

I watched small segments from "Looped" on You Tube, and then the entire Lucy-Desi Cemedy Hour with the actual Bankhead ("The Celebrity Next Door") also on You Tube. Valerie Harper would have to be amazing beyond belief to really capture what I saw in the Lucy-Desi Comedy hour.

Do you see "The Temperamentals" on your last trip to New York?

It a great list. Obviously you put a lot of thought into it. And I may be alone on "Looped," which I have not even seen.

Pride

My choice would be to head to the Lucille Lortel on Christopher St and see "Pride" starring Hugh Dancy and Ben Whislaw. New gay playwright Alexi Campbell has written and wonderful dramatic story which moves back and forth between London in the 1950's and 2008. One part focuses on the angst and emotional turmoil of coming to terms, or not, with being gay in that era. The other part is about gay promiscuity in 2008 and how it affects one young man's life. The writing is incredibly good and the cast is wonderful.

"Next Fall" is also a wonderfully written play that is both funny and touching while dealing with the moral and ethical dilemma of being Christian and gay. Great cast. Very well-written.

"Yanks"? I don't think so. So far it hasn't received glowing reviews, not to mention it's at the York Theater company in the bowels of the old CitiGroup Center.

How about "Come Fly With Me"? Perhaps "Clybourne Park"? Both are on my list.

ED

Just to clarify, I listed the shows that I had already determined to see, so there is no point in recommending them to me. It's the shows on which I am uncertain that I need advice. Looped, for example. I didn't know the original TB, so I wouldn't know if Valerie Harper is playing her or a caricature. Somehow I think a drag queen would be best off in this role. Furthermore, the show encompasses only one afternoon in Bankhead's life- an attempt to re-loop some vocals. One minor incident isn't likely to tell me much about Tallulah's life, so why bother?

Present Laughter isn't getting much rave attention. I know nothing about Temperamentals, so I will look into that.

I am seeing The Pride and Next Fall, so may not need another story such as Yanks, but there is something about it that appeals to me.

Clybourne Park has no interest for me. Isn't it Guess Who is Coming to dinner in reverse?

It is a case of too many shows, too little time. I note that Ed James and I both think The Pride, Next Fall, and Come Fly Away will be worth seeing, so maybe he is right about Clybourne Park. He's also right about the venue for Yanks not being the best.

Okay, Ed, you are probably right about Clybourne Park too, so I will see if I can fit it in!

Yanks

Seeing Yanks tonight. Yes, it's not a real theater with a proscenium arch and an orchestra pit... It's a small performance space in the basement of a church, but that means no matter where you sit you're relatively close to the action, and no matter where you sit you can hear without the awful amplification you have to sit through for musicals in the big Broadway and even some off-Broadway houses. If you like your theater gritty and up-front and intimate, these off-off-Broadway venues can be fun. And you're not paying tons of extra money for all the expensive hoo-haw on stage - it's just theater.

Boys...

The important thing is that you enjoy your trip and each and every theatrical experience you have scheduled. Before you know it, it'll be time for your fall season trip!

I went to a "reading" of Mart Crowley's sequel to "Boys In The Band" on Sunday evening. Set in Michael's apartment 40 years later following the funeral for Larry, the "boys" gather once again to have another bitch fest. Emory steals the show. Hadn't changed one iota! Some of the funniest lines in the show came from that charatcer. The cast was quite good.

The cast of The Men from the Boys was Stephen Bogardus (Michael), Greg Edelman (Donald), Anthony Newfield (Hank), David Greenspan (Harold), Gerry McIntyre (Bernard), Nick Westrate (Scott), Jonathan Hammond (Jason), and Eric Bondoc (Rick).

Transport Groups's production of Mr. Crowley's The Boys in the Band, which opened Sunday, February 21 to rave notices, has been extended through Sunday, March 28.

Tickets, which are $19 and include a glass of wine at the theatre, are available at http://www.transportgroup.org. For current The Boys in the Band ticket holders, tickets are $12. For more information about Transport Group visit http://www.transportgroup.org.

So, alas, Lucky, since Boys In The Band has been extended, you might want to give some thought to squeezing this one in, too!

ED

I can always squeeze a boy into my band. You did mention that seating was difficult, so I will keep that in mind.

I envy you having the opportunity to attend the reading of the Boys' sequel.

UPDATE: I had one opening left in my March visit, so I filled it with BITB. I got a premium, full-price ticket in the hopes I wouldn't run into seating problems.

I will leave boys and head directly to see The Pride. By the end, I should be feeling really gay.

PS to Ed: Tickets are $19? They are listed at $38 and premium at $45...but my guess is that you had a coupon.

Whatever you do don't go see "It's All About Me"

5 minutes of funny...mostly when Dame Edna dances to "Single Ladies" with her very hunky back up men.

Otherwise 1 1/2 hours of two mincing queens.....dreadful.

And to think I used to have a crush on Michael Feinstein....WHAT was I thinking?!?!?!?

No worry there. I saw Dame Edna perform once, and that was enough. I can't imagine her and Michael Feinstein together either.

But, my calendar is now filled, and I am excited about seeing the shows I picked.

After my own heart

Hi Lucky

Great schedule. I have to add my two cents, since I am a manic theater goer who tries not to miss anything. I am not sure if your "definites" mean you have purchased tickets all ready, but if not, you can certainly skip M/M Fitch. My expectations were through the roof, I love Lithgow, Jennifer Ehle, and Douglas Carter Beane, and was really disappointed by this one. The performers are miscast but that's not even the problem...the play is the problem. Reviews were pretty bad. If you can swap out this ticket I highly recommend doing so, or at least have a drink and go in with low expectations.

Great picks for Next Fall, which is very interesting and thought provoking. Hopefully you will be attending this with someone with whom you can discuss it. I really hopes this will find an audience. The Pride is not the strongest of plays, but a big part of that is because it's a new playwright...but the performances elevate it significantly. All four actors are marvelous, and I am really glad you are seeing this. I all ready have my tickets to Lips Together and La Cage and Promises Promises, which isn't on your list, but is my most anticipated show. Crazy 70s Bacharach and David score with Sean Hayes and La Chenoweth. I cannot wait.

As far as your possibilities. I saw Yank and loved it. It's like watching a Betty Hutton/Don Dailey movie musical with some real issues across the top of it. It doesn't sell out at the end, and all in all I thought it very satisfying. I plan to go again. It led me to ask my father several awkward questions about his time in the service, also in the South Pacific in WWII.

Present Laughter is a handsome production, well acted, although it starts slow. If you love Coward, you will find this a pleasure, although I thought it was a bit erratically directed.

I am seeing Looped next week. I have heard really good things. (By the way, both Looped, Present Laughter and Yanks have been on tdf if you are a member there...best way to see theater inexpensively...but you cannot be a seat snob.)

Behanding has gotten very mixed word of mouth. I am waiting for some friends to see it because I don't care for really gory shows and McDonough tends to love the gore. I loved his psychological plays like Pillowman, but found Cripple of Inishmore to be too much.

Glass Menagerie got sensational word of mouth when it played up in the Berkshires last summer. One friend whose opinion I really trust said that Judith Ivey was the best Amanda he had ever seen.

Time Stands Still was all about the performances for me. All four performers are terrific, and I could watch Laura Linney read the phone book. Play had a very thought provoking set-up, but I didn't think the second act delivered, but I enjoyed the evening because the actors were so good.

Enjoy your trip.

Thanks, skynyc. A post like that warms my heart! I did get a ticket to the Fitch show, so will take my lumps if need be. I remember Lithgow fondly from M. Butterfly, and I know that some have liked the show, so we shall see.

We differ on Promises Promises because, even though I like Kristin Chenoweth, Sean Hayes gives me the creeps. (The bf loves him.)

I crossed off Looped because of the reasons stated above, and am holding Present Laughter as my TKTS choice for the night I arrive, if the plane is on time. (It's about the only 8 pm show on a Tuesday night.)

As for the Behanding, I agree that the writer gets pretty gory, and will skip that one. Time Stands Still fell by the wayside as nothing compelled it to the top of my list. The Glass Menagerie I can see on my April trip or when it comes to LA with Judith Ivey still in the lead.

That leaves Yank. Sure wish I could see that as it looks like a very good play, but with Next Fall, The Pride, and Boys in the Band, I will probably be gayed out. Maybe it will extend into my April trip. Thanks again for the comments.

Come Fly With Me

Yes, Come Fly With Me...far, far away from Broadway! An awful evening of mediocre dance. If it wasn't for Frank's music (The vocals are of course taped and the musicians live. At some point they decided to throw in a female vocalist to do several numbers.) I would have walked out had it not been for the music. The six people behind me had similar thoughts and we all thought the whole thing a big mess! Choreography? A lot of lifts and dips. Nothing creative about this at all. Best part...it's one of the fastest shows on Broadway. A 40 minute first act and a 30 minute second act and you're up and out of the theater by 9:45PM! Skip this!

ED

Always remember Lucky that each theatrical event is an individual experience. While checking in with friends, I found that some liked Come Fly With Me but many agreed with me that it was a disappointment. I hope you will enjoy it more than I.

ED

My individual experience began last night with an excellent performance of The Glass Menagerie. Judith Ivey lived up to all billing in a perfect performance, all the better because the role of Amanda could easily lend itself to overacting. The son, played by Patch Bronagh was also perfect. Keira Keeley was fine enough in what is a lackluster character.

This afternoon I joined friends to see Next Fall, a three-hanky gay play. It starts with the character Luke being critically injured in a taxi accident. His lover, Adam, had just flown to his high-school reunion. Now, he and Luke's family must come terms with what it is like to see life turn on a dime, and face a life or death situation with a lover/son/brother. The emotions are hard enough with just that, but Luke has not told his family that he is gay, and his 4 year relationship essentially leaves Luke with no standing in Luke's care. He cannot even visit Luke's room. (Can I say power of attorney, anyone???)

We see the relationship in flashback, with the two meeting on a rooftop, where Luke, an aspiring actor, takes a shine to Adam- for what reason, I was never clear. Luke is a feeler, Adam a thinker. Luke- conservative Christian, Adam a non-believer.

Luke's puppy personality is endearing, and I concede especially so against Adam's serious desire to think everything through back and forth. But why the two stayed together with all of the friction? Luke is so religious and wracked with guilt over being gay, that even after 4 years he still prays after having sex.

The scenes in the hospital with Luke's George Bush of a father are well-done, even if predictable. By the end, the audience is a-crying and tears flow throughout the aisles. Yes, I had a tear, too. (But just one.)

The characters come out for their applause with red-eyes and tears. Natural? Perhaps, but after having performed these scenes so many times, are they still as wrenched as they were at the start, or are drops needed to make those eyes so weary? Maybe they just sweep up the tears of the audience after each show and use those.

It's a good show, especially for gay men. If you didn't get Our Town, you probably won't like Next Fall.

4 shows left- Red, Come Fly Away, Boys in the Band and The Pride. Oops, I forgot to mention Mr & Mrs Fitch- or did I? It was so forgetable- a true embarrasment for all involved.

Next Fall

This afternoon I joined friends to see Next Fall, a three-hanky gay play.

Thanks Lucky for a well written and objective look at the Broadway show "Next Fall"...

I, too, joined some friends and saw it. I entered not knowing much about the play but once you understood who's who in the cast, it was easy to follow. The acting was superb... I thought all the characters were nicely developed except for the part of Brandon, I didn't understand his importance to the play... I totally agree that this odd 4 year relationship between two total opposites wasn't fully believable, however, it didn't stop me from enjoying this very loving and emotional play.

I realize some people were skeptical about the sincerity of the crying cast members during their curtain call, it was effective in light of what had just occurred but maybe not genuine.

I'm glad I saw it and thank my friend for recommending it.

Coop

Thanks Lucky for a well written and objective look at the Broadway show "Next Fall"...

You beat me to it, Cooper.

I realize some people were skeptical about the sincerity of the crying cast members during their curtain call, it was effective in light of what had just occurred but maybe not genuine.

Sounds like a nice bit of stagecraft though.

I'm glad I saw it and thank my friend for recommending it.

And a warm hand of applause for all you guys who take the trouble to post your personal reviews here. Whether or not I ever haul my old carcass up to NY to see it for myself, your experiences brighten my day. :)

Next Fall made me cry. Okay, I'm a real wimp and have been known to cry during Hallmark commercials. There are certainly flaws to this play which have been pointed out and I agree pretty much. Still, I enjoyed it. Hey, I cried didn't I? lol

I was surprised that a play with such a strong gay theme attracted a pretty diverse audience. There were gays guys in the audience but I don't think they were in the majority. It was a Wednesday matinee so that tends to skew things a bit.

Thanks to Lucky for his well written reviews. Going to the theater is an investment of time and money so it sure helps to have his insights. Standing ovation will now commence.

Archived