Olympics and Appropriate Behavior

OneFinger
This topic is 5209 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Death of Decorum & Respect

I am a Desert Storm combat veteran.

I found Shaun White's podium air guitar performance during the National Anthem embarrassing and in extraordinarily poor taste. Half pipe is dynamic--give it everything you got and then some--exciting display of snowboarding talent. And nobody, NOBODY does it half as well as Shaun. He puts on a show that is as good as it gets. For this, I applaud him and his talent. HOWEVER, the time for showboating is in the pipe. Once on the medal ceremony podium, he represents his country on a world stage in front of billions AND he represents every single American. Had I been there during the ceremony, I would have hung my head in shame at Shaun's juvenile antics during the U.S. flag & anthem presentation.

Winning the event does NOT give any athlete the right to do whatever he wants on the Olympic podium. What if he had mooned the crowd? Would that have been okay just because he's young and in a celebratory mood? At some point one must live up to the Olympic Standard AND abide by the code and customs of one's country. And those standards are very simple: to stand quietly on the podium hatless, with one's hand over their heart, looking at the flag while the National Anthem is played. When that one minute of time had passed, then he could go out and act like a moron to his heart's desire. You'd think he could have acted like a dignified Olympic Champion for one minute. In fact, I've seen kids half his age act more respectful after winning a Little League Championship.

Guest OCBeachbody

Well hey your right. Unfortunately the Olympics has been turning into more and more of commercialization. Not surprised that most American athletes/"stars" seem to have this mentality for super stardom inseatd of being a representative/diplomat of your country.

The Killjoys of Hooville

Write 'em a letter, Glutes. You're good at writing completely bogus complaints that get ignored.

DEAR ATHLETES,

YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO HAVE FUN. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES MAY YOU SHOW ANY ELATION AT YOUR RECENT VICTORY.

SINCERELY,

GRUMPY OLD MEN

Appears to be 13:2 here in Hooville expressing that there should be more decorum during the playing of the Nation Anthem, Dear Administrator. Bunch of killjoys and grumpy old men we are...

Right!

Anyone else suspect that Olympian Shaun White is the secret love-child of Carrot Top and Danny Bonaduce? :) I'm just saying...

HAHAHA! Right! I have thought the same thing for some time and my neighbor and I were actually talking about this very same topic just a few weeks ago when reviewing the athlete lineup.

Deej, OneFinger & CowboyUp:

Just wanted to say "Thanks" for your military service to our country and for the personal sacrifices each of you made to protect and defend all the rights, privileges and freedoms that we hold sacred as Americans. God Bless You.

I sincerely appreciate your words of thanks and support. All too often I don't believe vets get the credit they deserve for their work and dedication.

And, in the gay community, I feel almost like you have to apologize or justify your service. I don't regret my military time or work in the defense industry. Those experiences were instrumental and key periods in my life.

Now, if they'd just make it so we could serve openly...

I was expecting to see this thread. We see it for every Olympiad.

Buncha grumpy old men are upset that young people IN A VICTORY CELEBRATION are celebrating instead of wearing tuxes and standing at attention.

Loosen up for god's sake. Attitudes like this almost make me want them to stop playing the anthems.

RESPECT OTHER PEOPLE

1. Attacks against other people are not allowed. Personal attacks stifle discussion and create an atmosphere that discourages many people from joining us. We want all people to feel welcome here and welcome to state their opinions. Those who come here for advice or assistance should be treated with respect. You are free to criticize the opinions of other people at will. But please do not attack, insult or disparage others themselves; all are worthy of respect, even those with whom we disagree.

Please close this thread. Think of the children! THINK OF THE CHILDREN!

Guest countryboywny

I hear the IOC is upset with Canada's Womens Hockey team because they broke out beer, champagne and cigars after beating the US women for the gold. :)

you go girls!

Actually, the IOC is "conducting an investigation" due to complaints about the women's hockey team. What are they going to do? Take away the medal? (I think they want to leave Canada alive, so that's not likely.) Make the girls leave the games early? Ummm ... they're over.

Apparently, some people have never seen the end of a Super Bowl or World Series championship game.

You Go Girls

Whats so shocking about a bunch of butch lesbians from canada drinking beer and smoking cigars in public after their big golden win? i dont get it. At least they didn't bust a keg open during the national anthem/medal ceremony. And, they were respectful to their opponents. Kind of makes me feel like smoking a cigar and drinking some beer right now.

This was a display of a group of very determined and talented team players. The Canadian Women won this medal as a team and let them enjoy it as a team. Some of the press is coming down on them for having a beer and cigar on the ice after the crowd was gone and the game was long over. Ya know what? If I'd just won a gold medal at the Olympics, I'd sure as heck want to savour the moment and celebrate, too. Why is the press making such a fuss?

Not to mentioned that this is the Women's teams second (?third) gold in a row....geez, I wonder why they feel like celebrating??!!! No surprise that it was the US media who made the most out of it......Hmmmm sore loser medal here too maybe?!

And how about Apolo getting DQ for pushing folks?!

Archived