Daddy's Cheap Eats

azdr0710
This topic is 5233 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

that "recipe" was straight-forward and to-the-point....watched my Mom do that a million times, but didn't have to worry about it back then, of course....thank you very much....

hint: don't rent the movie "Food, Inc."...

I hope you have more "cheap eats" to feed us!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"As it happens a "Family Pack" of 11 chicken thighs was on sale for 80¢/pound and that gave us our main course for $4.35, a can of peas for 89¢ gave us one side dish, and a box of "Macaroni and Cheese" for $1 gave us another side.

An aisle over we found a can of "Progresso Italian Style Bread Crumbs" for $2.99 which gives you five times the bread crumbs of "Shake and Bake" but no plastic bag"

The bf would have gagged at this. I think I did too. First of all, no cheap grocery store chicken that came from somewhere that the chickens were packed in a cage and fed antibiotics, then frozen on their way to the store.

Sorry, only a free-range chicken would do.

Canned peas? You must be kidding! Is it so hard to pick out fresh peas while you are at the store?

A BOX of mac and cheese? Surely you could make it fresh for just about the same price. And packaged bread crumbs? Do you realize the markup on those? Just get some day old bread and go from there.

It's obvious we will never be eating over at Daddy's. But, I sure would have liked to hear more about this young friend he had over. I think I would have just eaten him.

Guest andrewd

That's the spirit!

Thanks for sharing Daddy! What a cool idea to share a recipe and a way to eat on the cheap. I’m sure your guests enjoyed your effort and thoughtfulness. I would have enjoyed the meal also. I think Paula Dean would concur! I love getting together with friends and communing over a meal prepared at home. Sometimes it’s high end gourmet and other times it’s on the cheap & simple. Some friends are more gifted and creative in the kitchen, while others are simpler and some are on a budget. No matter what the menu or cost, it’s the time & friendship spent in someone’s home that is the real ‘meal’ that feeds the soul.

We have an organization here in San Diego that feeds those who are unable to do so for themselves and inexpensive meals such as yours are a necessity in order to feed the hundreds of people they do on a daily basis. A lot of people donate canned goods and frozen food family packs to help with the food needs. I’m sure the recipients of this hot meal if given a choice between going hungry because it’s not gourmet food or eating a hearty, nourishing meal that gives them the nutrition their bodies need, they would always choose the later. Having volunteered to deliver some of these meals, I can attest to their joy and gratefulness to receive a hot meal lovingly prepared by volunteers.

Thanks for the reminder of what’s important. It's not about how much you spend, it's the thought that counts most.

"As it happens a "Family Pack" of 11 chicken thighs was on sale for 80¢/pound and that gave us our main course for $4.35, a can of peas for 89¢ gave us one side dish, and a box of "Macaroni and Cheese" for $1 gave us another side.

An aisle over we found a can of "Progresso Italian Style Bread Crumbs" for $2.99 which gives you five times the bread crumbs of "Shake and Bake" but no plastic bag"

The bf would have gagged at this. I think I did too. First of all, no cheap grocery store chicken that came from somewhere that the chickens were packed in a cage and fed antibiotics, then frozen on their way to the store.

Canned peas? You must be kidding! Is it so hard to pick out fresh peas while you are at the store?

A BOX of mac and cheese? Surely you could make it fresh for just about the same price. And packaged bread crumbs? Do you realize the markup on those? Just get some day old bread and go from there.

It's obvious we will never be eating over at Daddy's. But, I sure would have liked to hear more about this young friend he had over. I think I would have just eaten him.

Your just kidding right?

Hugs,

Greg

Quite the food snob. Why not just tell him to go to a 4 Star restaurant and that way someone else can do the work and he can just sit there and be served. Oh right, this was CHEAP EATS. Not Cheap Eats for people who want to do some prep work with their young guest or Cheap Eats for people who want to scrape their knuckles making bread crumbs. This was an attempt to introduce someone to easily made and quickly made home food rather than an expensive order in of pizza.

As for your not eating at Daddy's, well a gracious host is an accommodating one and a gracious guest is a non-demanding one.

Boxed macaroni and canned peas? Fresh is better.

What exactly is "fresh" macaroni? IMO, dried pasta is every bit as nutritious as fresh pasta and a lot easier to store. And fresh peas? When was the last time you shelled fresh peas? I personally prefer frozen peas to canned but rarely buy fresh peas, except for the mange toute but they don't taste any better than the frozen IMO.

Well, you may serve your guests boxed macaroni and canned peas, but we wouldn't do that here. And, for the price of 11 chicken thighs you could probably get three nice free-range chicken breasts.

Once again, your snobbery seems to have blinded you to the purpose of the post. Enjoy your free range chicken, just the two of you. By the way, my guests share the food and stay for the company, not sure what why yours would come.

Missing the point?

Well, you may serve your guests boxed macaroni and canned peas, but we wouldn't do that here. And, for the price of 11 chicken thighs you could probably get three nice free-range chicken breasts.

I think this is about trying to eat economically - which means you can't always buy the 'high end' choices.

Remember that I started out the post by saying that the bf would gag, and he would. He is a graduate of a culinary academy. We don't eat boxed macaroni or canned vegetables. Call it snobbery if you like, I call it healthy eating. I would never serve my guests that stuff and I wouldn't eat at someone's house who was serving it. I guess that you have to live in California or New York to eat healthy food.

Sure, fresh is better, but not a bit more nutritious or lacking in anything other than snob appeal. I sincerely beleive that canned and other forms of food are "good" for one. Never mind. One can do whatever one can afford to do and be happy doing.

Differences are what makes the world go around or so it seems. :)

Best regards,

KMEM

Ingredients In Boxed Macaroni & Cheese

Depending on the the brand the exact ingredients may differ from box to box. Some of the more interesting ingredients that I have seen on mac n’ cheese labels include:

White Flour (not whole food)

Salt

Glyceryl Monostearate (algae)

Ferrous Sulfate

Whey

Malto Dextrin (sugar)

Hydrogenated Fat

Milk

Cheese Culture

More Salt

Enzymes

Corn Starch

Powdered Cellulose (saw dust or wood fiber)

Corn Syrup (sugar)

More Salt

Sodium Phosphate

Sodium Caseinate

Natural Flavor (not really natural)

Artificial Flavor (as natural, made in factories that make shaving cream and floor soap)

Autoloyzed Yeast (man-made MSG)

Citric Acid (fake lemon juice)

Monoglycerides (made from coconuts)

Titanium Dioxide (rocks)

FDC Yellow # 5 (made from tar)

FDC Yellow # 6 (made from petroleum)

Yellow Lake # 5 (same)

FDC Red (made from ground up spiders)

Kids Deserve Real-Whole Food

Mad Scientist

Does that look good to you? Your kids deserve the best! Give your children real food. Home made macaroni and cheese does not take any more time to make. It just takes thought, planning and willingness. Your kids deserve to be healthy and whole food choices will give them a healthy future. Invite Debbie Banana To your school district to improve your student health and wellness. They deserve it!

From: http://www.wowyouarereallylucky.com/childrens-health/ingredients-macaroni-and-cheese.htm

I guess that I am really lucky to get to eat healthy food!

"The bf would have gagged at this. I think I did too. First of all, no cheap grocery store chicken that came from somewhere that the chickens were packed in a cage and fed antibiotics, then frozen on their way to the store.

Interesting point, Lucky.

The only question I have: "How much would your version cost?" I'm willing to post a rebuttal under the same terms: "3 people for $10." I only insist on a level playing field: "Real people, Real food, Real Sawbuck."

I'm even willing to forget about the four chicken thighs that I put away in the refrigerator which ended up as a Chicken Salad, and Chicken Sandwiches!

Interesting point, Lucky.

The only question I have: "How much would your version cost?" I'm willing to post a rebuttal under the same terms: "3 people for $10." I only insist on a level playing field: "Real people, Real food, Real Sawbuck."

I'm even willing to forget about the four chicken thighs that I put away in the refrigerator which ended up as a Chicken Salad, and Chicken Sandwiches!

I always had too do all of the cooking in every relationship iv been in. Id be grateful for anything a man offered too cook for me. call me when dinners ready

"I'm even willing to forget about the four chicken thighs that I put away in the refrigerator which ended up as a Chicken Salad, and Chicken Sandwiches!"

But the goal wasn't to save food for the next day. So you didn't need 11 chicken thighs to feed three people. The money for that would have bought the 3 free-range breasts. The link I posted pointed out that it was not cheaper to buy boxed macaroni than to make it, and packaged bread crumbs are more expensive than day old bread. So, I am saying that you could have had your meal, and a healthy meal at that, for darn close to ten dollars.

Plus, you would have had the fun of cooking for your friends, who loved you even more for providing them a good , healthy meal.

Now you have to worry about all of those ingredients in the boxed macaroni that are now in your blood!! :eek:

Archived