Favorite Movies this Holiday Season

LurkerSpeaks
This topic is 5255 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

What are the three favorite movies you have seen this holiday season and why?

For me..

1) Avatar---It was such a beautiful movie, visually.. the effects were incredible..

2) Precious--The acting was phenomenal. While the subject matter was depressing, the determination that the main character showed was inspirational

3) Up in the Air--It was a lighter, easy going type movie, fun to watch..but afterwards it left me feeling down because I so readily could relate to the solitary lifestyle.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Star Trek (2009) - LOVED IT! I've always been a big Star Trek fan since I was very little. This movie was over the top with great special effects, amazing graphic modeling, some insight into characters that was never revealed in any of the books or previous movies and of course the new Captain Kurt as a young hot man was always a nice to see, over and over and over again.

Yes, I'm a nerd and proud of it. :)

loved all 4 of those movies. I didn't like "Nine". In fact it was awful. I don't even think it is a rental. . . The best scene was the Fergie musical number. But Kate Hudson and Nicole Kidman should avoid musicals. They can't sing!

I'm looking forward to "A Single Man", but I'm waiting for it for wider release.

Guest greatness

hmm

My favorite movie of the year is Julie and Julia. :)

What are the three favorite movies you have seen this holiday season and why?

For me..

1) Avatar---It was such a beautiful movie, visually.. the effects were incredible..

2) Precious--The acting was phenomenal. While the subject matter was depressing, the determination that the main character showed was inspirational

3) Up in the Air--It was a lighter, easy going type movie, fun to watch..but afterwards it left me feeling down because I so readily could relate to the solitary lifestyle.

Guest greatness

Yes!

I forgot "Up" I just wanted to adopt that kid! He was so cute. :)

Count me in! It's a great romp!

Add "Up" (the animated one) to the list, though. These two movies on BluRay make great justifications for a large-screen TV. :D

Animated too!?

Add "Up" (the animated one) to the list, though. These two movies on BluRay make great justifications for a large-screen TV. :D

Oh wow! I didn't know there was an animated one as well and will certainly check this out on Netflix! Thank you for sharing - always appreciated! :)

I have seen a goodly number of films recently:

NINE I thought the production numbers were great but the in between was a terrible bore. I was amazed how little the really outstanding cast was utilized.

PERCIOUS I absolutely hated it. I will willingly acknowledge that is was well crafted. I, however, do not enjoy spending my money to go to a movie to be depressed.

BLIND SIDE Really enjoyed this film. I think it is the best thing Sandra Bullock has ever done. Probably won’t do well as far as awards are concerned as it is too main stream.

INVICTUS Probably my favorite film of the year. Morgan Freeman and Matt Damon were both wonderful.

THE YOUNG VICTORIA A beautiful looking film but interestingly enough NOT terrible accurate.

UP IN THE AIR Also had difficult relating to the life style of the George Clooney character. I though the ending left a great deal to be desired.

JULIE & JULIA I would have preferred two separate films. The film simply tried to do too much.

AVATAR I did NOT see this film. It is simply NOT my kind of film. I much prefer story films to special effect films.

I'm also probably alone on this one but since I have a deep desire to see death and distruction type of movies, I also enjoyed 2012 though the storyline was pretty lame but fairly accurate if you look at the actual science.

You are not alone! Although I preferred the narrow escapes to the tragedies themselves. I still think the best film line of the year came from the sexy Russian pilot as he coaxes the giant Antonov-An225 off the ground with the runway disintegrating around him: "Get your big rear end up in the air for Sasha!" My kind of dialogue! :)

Oh wow! I didn't know there was an animated one as well and will certainly check this out on Netflix! Thank you for sharing - always appreciated! :)

I may have given you the wrong impression. "Up" isn't an animated Star Trek. I mentioned animation to differentiate it from "Up in the Air".

"Up" is just Disney/Pixar at its best.

A Single Man

I am surprised that A Single Man is not on everyone's list. It's about an older man who, after his lover dies, finds life because of the charms and beauty of a younger man- Nicholas Hoult, pictured in the thread about best movie butt. His butt was fine, but his eyes and mouth entranced me much more. There is another scene where a Spanish guy- very handsome and seductive- tries to pick up Colin Firth. I liked the film a lot. So did the little old ladies in the showing I attended.

Guest DuchessIvanaKizznhugg

The Young Victoria.....

I just watched The Young Victoria, and was totally entranced. Emily Blunt as Young Victoria, and Rupert Friend as Prince Albert were a delight to view onscreen together. The movie is incredibly lush, visually.....a real treat for the eye.

My image of Queen Victoria as the dour, "We are not amused", old lady with the doily on her head has been dispelled, and I look forward to reading further about her extraordinary relationship with Albert

This youtube clip, including a haunting song by Sinead O'Connor makes my heart soar. Hope you enjoy it, too.

http://i965.photobucket.com/albums/ae139/DuchessIvanaKizznhugg/YoungVictoria_450x350.jpg

http://i965.photobucket.com/albums/ae139/DuchessIvanaKizznhugg/emily-blunt-and-rupert-friend-in-th.jpg

Guest greatness

Young Victoria~~

I love Prince Albert... He is so cute. Just my kind of prince~~. I told you DuchessIvanaKizznhugg that you would enjoy the movie. ;)

I just watched The Young Victoria, and was totally entranced. Emily Blunt as Young Victoria, and Rupert Friend as Prince Albert were a delight to view onscreen together. The movie is incredibly lush, visually.....a real treat for the eye.

My image of Queen Victoria as the dour, "We are not amused", old lady with the doily on her head has been dispelled, and I look forward to reading further about her extraordinary relationship with Albert

This youtube clip, including a haunting song by Sinead O'Connor makes my heart soar. Hope you enjoy it, too.[/color][/size][/font]

http://i965.photobucket.com/albums/ae139/DuchessIvanaKizznhugg/YoungVictoria_450x350.jpg

http://i965.photobucket.com/albums/ae139/DuchessIvanaKizznhugg/emily-blunt-and-rupert-friend-in-th.jpg

Guest greatness

?

Why a warm moist washcloth ??? I'm going to get a nice pedicure and wait for my glass slipper~~ :) ;)

Greatness, someday your Prince will come, so keep a warm moist washcloth handy.

I liked Julie and Julia... actually, I loved Julia and had a hard time warming up to Julie [so self-involved; Julia's reaction to Julie was about mine as well], so the "liked" rating is right in the middle.

The Startrek movie was good.

I was looking forward to the new Sherlock Holmes, so went to see it a couple of days ago. Apart from some moderate sparks between SH and Dr W, I was disappointed. A lame, Dan Brown-ish plot and waaaaaaay too much violence.

This was not a great year for movies, IMHO.

Guest rohale

My favourite fims thus far have been

1) Harry Brown ( one of Michael Caine's finest performances )

2) The Damned United ( Michael Sheen really shines in this film as a football manager )

3) Crazy Heart ( absolute brilliant performance by Jeff Bridges )

4) A Christmas Carol ( best seen utilising the IMAX experience in 3-D)

5) It's Complicated ( Meryl Streep, Alec Baldwin and Steve Martin work very well together )

6) 2012 ( some really good action sequences and scene stealer, Woody Harrelson )

7) Amelia ( extremely underated film, Hillary Swank and Chris Eccleston are fantastic )

8) In The Loop ( really good film and Peter Capaldi is abusively hillarious )

Guest rohale

I forgot to mention Guy Ritchie's version of Sherlock Holmes, which I thought was really well done. Interestingly, Robert Downey Jr and Jude are great foils for eachother in their indiviual roles and as actors they work well off eachother. As for the individual actors themselves, Robert Downey plays Holmes to absolute perfection ( in complete contrast to Basil Rathbone ) and Jude Law gives a wonderful performance as Watson. As always Mark Strong provided a great menacing villain as Lord Blackwood. Rachel McAdams's performance was alright as it seemed half-hearted.

The story itself is very much multi-layered and the spiels of dialogue allocated made the performances better. The production team managed to catch old London very beautifully. The film struck a fairly good balance of mystery, comedy and adventure. Although I did feel the film was lacking in one quality and that was in the level of violence. It needed to be more violent in tone and content. None the less, the film itself is smart and entertaining and very much warrants a sequel from Guy Ritchie.

Guest zipperzone
I love Prince Albert... He is so cute. Just my kind of prince~~. I told you DuchessIvanaKizznhugg that you would enjoy the movie. ;)

Haven't seen it yet but plan to. The TV ads for it show that Albert shows a huge basket - like it's hanging half way to the knee. Is it really that obvious in the movie?

Guest greatness

well

I was so focused on his beautiful face and hair that I didn't look at other parts of his body~~ :o:o Sorry...

Haven't seen it yet but plan to. The TV ads for it show that Albert shows a huge basket - like it's hanging half way to the knee. Is it really that obvious in the movie?

Archived