Favorite Movies this Holiday Season

LurkerSpeaks
This topic is 5265 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I saw lots of films over the past month or so, but the one that really stands out as a special achievement in film-making is definitely Avatar. As I was sitting there wearing those silly 3D glasses and thrilling to every moment, I thought that Cameron has brought film-making to a new level. Despite the silly plotting, just as a piece of film-making this was spectacular.

Some other films that rocked me - Me and Orson Welles, The Messenger, Star Trek (recently viewed the DVD after having loved it on the big screen during the theatrical release, and I can say it stands up to repeat viewing very well).

I had an odd reaction to Up in the Air; it was entertaining while it was going on, but the ending left me with a disappointed, even empty feeling.

Planning to see Young Victoria tomorrow!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Add me to the list!

You are not alone! Although I preferred the narrow escapes to the tragedies themselves. I still think the best film line of the year came from the sexy Russian pilot as he coaxes the giant Antonov-An225 off the ground with the runway disintegrating around him: "Get your big rear end up in the air for Sasha!" My kind of dialogue! :)

Predictable, but I enjoyed it! These big disaster movies with multiple character/plot lines usually suck me in. (not sure what it says about me that I like to see things blowing up and falling apart on a grand scale.) SPOILER ALERT: but I think they missed one chance to avoid cliches when they had John Cusaks' character survive - would have been better if he sacrificed himself for the kids' 'new' dad.

Romann - if you're looking for a paperback equivalent, dig up a copy of 'Lucifer's Hammer', by Larry Niven. It's been years (decades?), but I recall it being an engrossing read!

Guest greatness

I watched an ad for

Paranormal Activity... It seems really scary. I need someone to go with me because I might have a heart attack while watching it. And after the movie, someone to hold me in his arms while I am sleeping. :)

If you like horror/thriller movies: "Paranormal activity" which I saw the other day.

My first choice "Avatar" was sold out for that day ...

Cheers,[/color]

The Young Victoria

Saw "The Young Victoria" this afternoon. A must-see for anybody who loves historical films set in the age of splendour. The scenes in the British palaces circa 1830's are to-die-for. Emily Blunt acts up a storm, and Rupert Friend as Prince Albert is most fetching.

Guest greatness

oh no no~~

What happened to my Gerald Butler~~ :)

Remember how guys were lusting after Gerald Butler? Take a look at him now:

http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2010/01/05/alg_butler.jpg

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/gossip/2010/01/05/2010-01-05_from_spartan_to_softie_gerard_butler_packs_on_the_holiday_pounds_and_shows_off_h.html#ixzz0bkUwAJF6

His body was mostly CGI. Wish they could do that for me.

Tomorrow Cooper and I are seeing "The Hurt Locker" which has gotten rave reviews from all the critics.

We'll give our review In the next day or so.

Has anyone here seen it?

"The Hurt Locker" seems more like a documentary than a staged film. Very powerful and not easy to watch because of it's realism but should be seen. There are many reviews out there worth reading. It's comes out on dvd on January 12th.

The main theme is that war is a drug which is a quote that opens the film.

The director, Kathryn Bigelow, is the ex-wife of James Cameron, the director of Avatar.

Archived