Liz and Phil Go to the Theater

ArVaGuy
This topic is 5311 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

A good many of us on this board enjoy going to theater. I’m sure most of us make an effort to arrive in plenty of time before the curtain rises. Yet we’ve all been in that situation where last minute arrivals will trundle down the aisle and create an inconvenience for others as they bump and slide past seated guest to take their seats. It’s certainly a frustration for those who arrived in plenty of time.

But what if it’s an elderly distinguished-looking couple say …in their 80’s? Perhaps they don't get out much and a nice evening at theater allows a pleasant night out as a couple. Would you still be as frustrated or would you cut the old couple some slack? How do you think some London theater-goers reacted in this situation recently? Here’s the story and link. ;)

http://www.reuters.com/article/oddlyEnoughNews/idUSTRE59E3HS20091015

Where did they go during the interval?

To answer your question, I don't think it matters the age of the person. We all know what time the show starts. But celebrities sometimes need to avoid attention for security reasons.

On the other hand, the Donald stands up and makes himself quite noticeable at the theater..and he was on time, too.

LOL, I agree with you that it does not matter the age of the person it's an annoyance.

Several times I've been at the Kennedy Center when the President attends and its one of heck of a production.

But this situation with the Queen and Duke just seems so wonderfully English. Her Majesty and Consort quietly attend a performance, and have for years, and it’s so subdued. Perhaps the cast had an extra case of the jitters in this situation? And one does wonder where they were during the interval it’s likely the theaters have a procedure in place for these occurrences.

I guess I'm bemused by this, you look over and there's the Sovereign sitting next to you.

To answer your question, I don't think it matters the age of the person. We all know what time the show starts. But celebrities sometimes need to avoid attention for security reasons.

On the other hand, the Donald stands up and makes himself quite noticeable at the theater..and he was on time, too.

Guest DuchessIvanaKizznhugg

God Save Our Gracious Queen...

I do hope in the spirit of informality she didn't wear those t-shirts that Camilla had made for her!

;)

http://i965.photobucket.com/albums/ae139/DuchessIvanaKizznhugg/deaddiana1_468x468.jpg

http://i965.photobucket.com/albums/ae139/DuchessIvanaKizznhugg/Queen_Elizabeth_II_and_Prince_Phili.jpg

Guest zipperzone

How in hell's name do they handle security in a case like that? And what would her demeanour be if the person sitting next to her decided to "chat her up"? Would she turn and say "shushhhh to someone talking behind her or rattling a noisy candy wrapper? What would she do if she was sitting behind a very tall person who blocked her view of the stage? Inquiring minds want to know.

It's hard to believe she would not have reserved a box.

I don't see what is so unusual about a queen slipping into a theater a bit late.

As to muss and fuss. I spent most of the day today trying to get into Manhattan to meet a friend for a conjugal visit. No it was not at a local prison, but rather at a local hotel. Who decides to be in NYC today but Mr. Obama himself. Now had he had the courtesy of the Queen and slipped in cognito, traffic in NYC would not have been snarled nearly as badly as it was from the Battery to the 50's and from the Hudson to the East River. I understand that he had dinner at the Mandarin Garden for some type of political rally. Come on now, doesnt the Mandarin Garden deliver?

Who decides to be in NYC today but Mr. Obama himself. I understand that he had dinner at the Mandarin Garden for some type of political rally. Come on now, doesnt the Mandarin Garden deliver?

Actually at the Time Warner building in Columbus Circle it was announced by Whole Foods Market with a well visible sign since Saturday that due to the President's visit to the building they couldn't schedule home deliveries!

Isn't a bit dangerous to preannounce the visit of a President at a Shopping Center?...

How in hell's name do they handle security in a case like that? And what would her demeanour be if the person sitting next to her decided to "chat her up"? Would she turn and say "shushhhh to someone talking behind her or rattling a noisy candy wrapper? What would she do if she was sitting behind a very tall person who blocked her view of the stage? Inquiring minds want to know.

It's hard to believe she would not have reserved a box.

No doubt this is a security nightmare but sometimes last minute situations like these can be the best security solution.

Some years back I worked an event outside the US where at the the last minute very high level officials were to attend. In less than 90 minutes a full security sweep was completed, security personnel changed into staff uniforms and took key positions where the high ranking person(s) would be located during the event. It was harrowing getting ready for this event but the arrival of the VIP and entourage was a sight to behold.

In regard to the reserved box, its likely this may have been a very small theater and such seating is not available.

Guest LeoWalker
In regard to the reserved box, its likely this may have been a very small theater and such seating is not available.

I'd agree...no boxed seating from what I can tell. Aside from the dress circle...but I don't think those would be that great of seats.

http://theater-ticket.conciergedesk.co.uk/images-theater/NewLondon.gif

http://www.viagogo.co.uk/webresources/Flash/ActiveVenueMap/uk/NewLondonTheatre/NewLondonTheatre.gif

http://www.playbill.com/images/seating_charts/new-london_1216931500.gif

http://www.venuesofdistinction.co.uk/system/image/image/319/medium/New_london_aud.jpg

I really, really love the interactive maps some theatres/concert halls/opera houses have that allow you to select the exact seat in a 3-dimensional view...with the option to view a picture of the stage from the general area. There were many, many misrepresenting seating charts I found for this theatre. I'm not completely sure image #2 is the same theatre.

I am curious as to how often this might happen. I have watched the PBS series on the royals and that led me to believe that London performances were often seen at Windsor Castle or the like where the performers came to the queen and entertained her and 200 or so of her closest friends.

I quite understand the need to get out and about but one's livelihood also has its' responsibilities. :)

Best regards,

KMEM

Recognition

The queen and Prince Philip apologetically squeezed past other theater-goers to get into their seats for the West End production of World War One play "War Horse" at the New London Theater.

"The Queen and the Duke sat down as the lights dimmed and it was a huge shock when people realized who they were," said a journalist at the show for The Lady magazine. "They were incredibly apologetic for asking people to let them past and there was no hubbub or fuss about it all."

Couldn't the audience recognize the Queen by the crown and handbag? Couldn't they recognize the Duke by the fact that he sat three rows behind her?

(Not to mention the T-shirts!)

Latecomers & Royalty

It really doesn't worry me if people arrive at the theatre at the last minute, so long as the performance hasn't actually begun. It can be quite difficult to accurately predict travel time in big cities such as London. Space between rows in the older theatres is often quite limited, so British people tend to stand to allow later arrivals to pass, which I believe to be a sensible courtesy. People who don't stand or at least make way are apt to attract sharp looks. I went to the theatre/opera/ballet on pretty much a weekly basis when I lived there and I do miss the cultural cornucopia that was on offer.

The New London Theatre is a vast concrete 70's complex with no boxes. Cats played there for 21 years and I saw (the late) Stephen Gately in Joseph there.

I was once at a production of Hamlet at Stratford, when Prince Charles slipped in just before curtain and took his aisle seat just across from me, a couple of rows up. It was quite fascinating to note the responses of one tragic prince to another.

I have difficulty seeing Charles' life as tragic; pathetic, perhaps, since its main purpose has been to wait in the wings for his mother to die or abdicate (fat chance of that). If he was a man of superior abilities whose promise was thwarted by his own actions or circumstances beyond his control, I might see him as tragic, but I think few people have felt that the nation has been deprived of a great leader by his lifetime in his mother's shadow.

Couldn't the audience recognize the Queen by the crown and handbag? Couldn't they recognize the Duke by the fact that he sat three rows behind her?

(Not to mention the T-shirts!)

What's in the handbag anyway?

She hardly needs any ID since her face is on the money anyway. I doubt she carries cash or an ATM card. Maybe in her younger days she carried tampons, these days perhaps a Depends? Guess she carries handkerchiefs and some mints.

Guest DuchessIvanaKizznhugg

You never know....

What's in the handbag anyway?

For a limited run for several years in Toronto, there was a revue called "DQ", which was a fundraiser for Casey House, the aids hospice here. It starred several Drag Queens, and was quite successful in raising money(all of the talent was volunteer), and it was a great showcase of gay community creativity.

One year, there was a performer who was a spitting image of The Queen, complete with all the right jewels and a spectaular tiara. There was a skit where they investigated the contents of her purse, and found a 20 lb. weight. Without the weighted purse on her arm, the arm would snap up wildly until her hand was at her shoulder and her elbow pulled up and away from her body (looking MOST unQueenly!). Once the weighted purse was placed back on her arm, her arm behaved and she regained her Queenly composure.

Was one of those silly visual gags that brought the house down.

:)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest LeoWalker

I know the thread is getting old and I'm somewhat reviving it, but thought this was interesting. This past weekend, at the Verdi's Requiem performance in LA...after the ushers had exited, the magnetic doors (so I believe) locked and the performance began...in the quiet beautiful opening song, everyone in the auditorium heard a bang with someone saying, "Damn". The person I was with said he heard, "Damn, f*ck". A couple minutes later I noticed a man and a woman trying to quietly come down the stairs near me to their row and then to their seats.

At the end of the performance, I saw 3-4 police officers waiting at the top of the stairs near the exit and overheard them speaking about looking for the disruptor.

Archived