Gaiety Closing Rumor Verified

woop4me2
This topic is 6639 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

To elimate the skuttle butt and verify dancer rumors in the past day, I can state the following by being a close friend to Denise:

Yes, the G will be closing tonight Thursday March 17th 2005. Last show is at 10:30 PM this evening.

Rumors all along were that the building housing the theater is being renovated and or sold. The building has been officially sold as of this week.

The G being reopened or closed permanently is another situation. There are no answers to this situation at this time. So please respect Denise and do not badger her with question and answer periods. Denise knows as much about the reopening or permanent closer of the club as I do. Which is nothing at this point. Further developments and alternatives will be discussed down the road.

There is no set time frame for a reopen or permanent closure decision to be made. I know it will not be in the current location if a reopening does occur.

Again, the answers to your questions will be addressed in the future with either by an advertised Grand Opening Celebration or a permanent closer announcement. Things are happening very fast.

I state again and beg of you please do not badger Denise with questions or phone calls. She already is deeply saddened and (a direct quote) "expresses her love to everyone"

Thanks

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Denise "expresses her love to everyone"

That would be a first! And to close the G with no fanfare or notice to its loyal customers, nor any expression of gratitude? One would think this was April Fool's Day rather than St. Patrick's Day!

The more I think about this......

If someone new did buy the building,

she would have to have NOT had a lease to be told "CLOSE" tonite.

If there was a new owner it seems strange that the new owner wouldnt allow her to operate until his plans were in progress to knock down and rebuild... Money is money...

Something smells fishy!!!

No Way Denise didn't know the place was closing, way before March 17th! I guess to much "Notice" and she would have lost a couple of bucks, here and there..It's called Squeezing Out the Last Drop.. It is Disrespectful to the Loyal Guys who, even seeing how The Gaiety was not what it used to be, still kept the place open, ALOT who contribute to this Forum...As far as "Reopening", with what the Commercial Rents are now, and a few other "Obstacles", The Gaiety Type of show is Probably now "History" in NYC..BUT she can say she was the last to go! IF someone else ever does reopen a "Gaiety Type" of Place, I am sure it will be at least, a hell of a lot more interesting to both Perform at and Visit for the Customers! Sometime Change is a GOOD THING! :+ :+ :+

Guest msclonly

A sad day !

I am so happy, that my travel plans for the rest of the year did not include NYC.

Am enjoying the bargains in Buenos Aires at the moment and look forward to several trips to Rio for more of the same.

:-( :)

>

>Something smells fishy!!!

Smells like BUCALA to me!

OMG! I guess Denise knew about this for a while.

Didn't matter what Neo screwed up. All makes sense.

I am going to miss it and have withdraws doing it.

I think something would come of this. A new and better G?

I can't see it just let go like this.

It does smell fishy but more closer to the scent of SHIT to me! :o

BYE NEO MY LOVE x(

Guest JohnPela

>>

>TONY TENDER: Something smells fishy!!!

>Didn't matter what Neo screwed up. All makes sense.

>I am going to miss it and have withdraws doing it.

>BYE NEO MY LOVE x(

Well this is a real shock! It will not seem the same coming to NYC and there being no Gaiety. The Gaiety and Gaiety dancers and reading about them have been a part of my life for the last 2 1/2 years. Though I think I have been to Madrigals in Chicago more times in the last year.

TT: You got a Neo dig in even at the bitter end- You are nothing if not persistent!

This is truly sad news. The first trip I made to NYC, I stayed at the Marriott right across the street just so I could have easy access. I also was returning Memorial Day weekend and again was staying at the Marriott just because of the G. I've never seen a place like the Gaiety and fear I never will again. I guess Montreal will just see me more.

I am sad to see the Gaiety is closeing and had to call to make sure if it was the truth or just gosip unfortunatly it is True and I will miss the many wonderful friends that I have made during the last few years in NYC I will still keep the Gaiety NYC Yahoo group for I feel that it will be important to keep abreast about many of the G dancers, Thank you to the many friends that I have meet at the Gaiety I do hope that they will hopefully reopen somewhere else in the near future but only time will tell.

GAIETY GROUP http://www.groups.yahoo.com/group/gaietynyc

I don't get to NYC often but every trip included a visit to the Gaiety.

Although some posters here have disagreements with Gaiety management and policies, I've always had a good time when visiting there.

The Gaiety was a unique place and I've had some fantastic experiences there and with the dancers in private. A visit to NYC will not be the same without the Gaiety.

Guest Gringo

The glory days that led to Stonewall are a long time gone. The piers, the trucks, the Rambles, the Toilet, Wally's Mine Shaft, 42nd street, the Apollo, Rounds, Stella's and now the G are all gone. It looks like the greatest city in the world has nothing left to offer a gay visitor except some rather dull S&M (stand and model) bars and a few disco bunnie hops. It seems that the general decline of America in the 21st century, especially for gays, continues its downward spiral. :-(

This is indeed a sad day for gays in NYC and gay visiters to your fair city alike. I've only been to the Gaiety a few times but enjoyed it as a neat diversion when I had my fill of museums and the like. It does seem that New York has lost a lot over the years in terms of places and entertainment for those of us who like a little walk on the wild side. :-(

>The glory days that led to Stonewall are a long time gone.

>The piers, the trucks, the Rambles, the Toilet, Wally's Mine

>Shaft, 42nd street, the Apollo, Rounds, Stella's and now the G

>are all gone. It looks like the greatest city in the world

>has nothing left to offer a gay visitor except some rather

>dull S&M (stand and model) bars and a few disco bunnie hops.

>It seems that the general decline of America in the 21st

>century, especially for gays, continues its downward spiral.

>:-(

Gringo, I couldn't have said it better myself. Thanks for the sad litany. Alas, all we're left with now is the Townhouse (Bar, not restaurant). Oh, I'm sorry; seems like we're still left with nothing.

What was I thinking ?

hd NYC

>To elimate the skuttle butt and verify dancer rumors in the

>past day, I can state the following by being a close friend to

>Denise:

>

>Yes, the G will be closing tonight Thursday March 17th 2005.

>Last show is at 10:30 PM this evening.

>

>Rumors all along were that the building housing the theater is

>being renovated and or sold. The building has been officially

>sold as of this week.

>

>Again, the answers to your questions will be addressed in the

>future with either by an advertised Grand Opening Celebration

>or a permanent closer announcement. Things are happening very

>fast.

>

>I state again and beg of you please do not badger Denise with

>questions or phone calls. She already is deeply saddened and

>(a direct quote) "expresses her love to everyone"

>

>Thanks

I've seen many business come and go in New York City, either because of sold properties or because the rents get prohibitive. Yet there is usually some notice to the customers.

However, speaking of the Gaiety, to go somewhere once a week, every week, and NOT know that the end was near is inexcusable and rude, not to mention, disloyal to the many patrons that have made such a place a resounding success.

Is Denise related to Cathy (from Stella's) by any chance?

hd NYC

Oh NO.....first Hooboy, now the Gaiety. This is the end on an era. Thank God I did not plan to go to NYC this weekend, instead I am off to Montreal which is the last bastion of male entertainment.

I also find it strange that the G closed in mid month, mid week. The new owners must have bought off her lease, and I doubt she will be able to get a licence anywhere in the new purity of NYC which wants to make itself into Disney North.

Also to Top everything else off..VDN no longer having the time to Post his Great Photos..We will not even have a "Farewell Group of Photos" of the Guys as they were, when the "G" CLOSED March 2005.. HooBoy's Passing-VDN No longer Posting-Gaiety Closing..2005 Has not started off well at all.. I do wish VDN well in the future. AND may his photo Collection someday "Continue Somewhere! :+ :+ :+

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This can't be happening...somebody wake me up from this bad dream. Who saw it coming?? I was just there on Wednesday night...and no sign at all from Denise who was sitting behind the ticket booth as usual. You would have thought at least she would have given us some notice. Like every other patron of the Gaiety, I hope like hell that we will see the place re-open quickly. I have no idea what the likelihood is of such a prospect, but the lights on Broadway have gotten depressingly dimmer as a result of the Gaeity's closing and living in the largest city in the country, with one of the largest gay populations in the world, and being deprived of an establishment like the Gaiety, which provided a well-needed outlet for countless horny men of all persuasions for so many years, is losing its lure. Next thing you know, they'll be turning the Plaza Hotel into condominiums...ooops, they already are. Get my point? This city is on its way to becoming nothing more than a shamefully bland urban version of shopping mall. Peoria is looking better all the time!

This is just great!! I booked a ticket from Johannesburg to New York, to visit my favorite strip club during Easter weekend, just to get kicked in the nuts with the news of Gaiety closing

I can not believe this !! Unreal...

RE: MAD and SADDD

As the hours go by I am getting madder than sadder about how the Gaiety was closed. I spoke to 3 out of 7 dancers last night and each of them told the same story, "We jut got told also".

How can a women who claims to LOVE her business, CUSTOMERS and DANCERS close her business in such a way?

This situation had to be brewing and kept a secret. Someting like this cant just happen overnight.

I cant help but feeling MAD AS HELL over how this was done, at least 3 dancers who were scheduled to start today had no idea the Gaiety was closing until they heard the information from loyal customers 2 were flying into NY to work at the Gaiety.

I cant help but feel WRONGED by how this happend, none of the "LOYAL" customers even got a chance to say goodbye to dancers or friends they may never see agian!!! THIS IS SOOO FUCKED UP!!!

DENISE I HOPE YOU READ THIS, I ALSO HOPE YOU HAVE SOME FANTASTIC TRICK UP YOUR SLEEVE YOUR ALSO KEEPING A SECRECT......

Signed,

SADD AND MADD !!

RE: Squeezing the last drop?

>No Way Denise didn't know the place was closing, way before

>March 17th! I guess to much "Notice" and she would have lost a

>couple of bucks, here and there..It's called Squeezing Out the

>Last Drop..

That is what makes the least sense about how this seems to be going down and leads me to wonder what the real deal is...

Surely she could have "SQUEEZED OUT THE LAST DROP" a lot more if she *had* given notice that the Theatre was closing. How many of us (and others) would have made trips in to be there for those last days and give it a sendoff/say goodbye.

Lots more money to be made that way than to close suddenly.

Thats what the head scratcher is for me.

>Denise "expresses her love to everyone"

>

>That would be a first! And to close the G with no fanfare or

>notice to its loyal customers, nor any expression of

>gratitude? One would think this was April Fool's Day rather

>than St. Patrick's Day!

No shit. Boo fuckin Hoo! Love??? Please! Now I want to badger!! Time to put on my "ass" jeans and frequent the Castro 2:1 cocktails. I love vacation.

Guest msclonly

Everyone has their own style of doing things, that might be different from the way we do things and want them to be done.

Please alow others the same courtesy and respect, that you expect.

If I were in her shoes, I think I would have done things the same way!

Letting the cat out of the bag, only opens it up to a lot of the same crying and hysteria, that you can read on this string. Only she would have had to listen to it for a lot more days, then any of us would have cared to listen to over and over.

;(

NO TEARS for MRS.Gaiety..I am sure she had figured out a very nice Pension Plan for herself, when her little Gold Mine would close down, many years ago..It is unfortunate the Nice Guys who worked for her were not treated that way. Except maybe One or Two..The guys planning on Money for the rest of this week def got screwed..The Guy infatuated with Devon/CT got his wish. Many will never know what he looks like, unless they were at the Gaiety recently! LOL :+ :+ :+

ANOTHER ONE BITES THE DUST!

Maybe that tired piano bar that Cathy is running at the former Stella's can put in a runway and assume the business of the Gaiety! I was at LaFleur's last evening when people started coming in, shell shocked, saying "The Gaiety is closed!"

Does seem odd that no advance notice was given. Pretty much tells you what she thinks of her patrons...just like Cathy did when Stella's closed...BOTH TIMES!

Check out LaFleur's...there's this big thick muscley man named Angel who's visiting from Puerto Rico. The kind of pecs you just wanna chew for hours...and very kissable lips too!

Archived