Gaiety Closing Rumor Verified

woop4me2
This topic is 6635 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

RE: MAD and SADDD

>I cant help but feel WRONGED by how this happend, none of the

>"LOYAL" customers even got a chance to say goodbye to dancers

>or friends they may never see agian!!! THIS IS SOOO FUCKED

>UP!!!

>

>DENISE I HOPE YOU READ THIS, I ALSO HOPE YOU HAVE SOME

>FANTASTIC TRICK UP YOUR SLEEVE YOUR ALSO KEEPING A

>SECRECT......

>

>Signed,

>SADD AND MADD !!

>

>

>

TAZ.....Didn't you hear the latest?

Neo and Denise are getting married and moving to Argentina! :7

She had to close the club since the Authorities were on Neo's butt.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The demise of the Gaiety has been in the cards for quite a while. The mainstream media reported the closing of the Howard Johnson's on the first floor of the Gaiety building months back. This appears to be strictly a real estate deal.

As for Denise and her "closing strategy" -- well, what do you expect? Something completely out of her control deprives her of her space, and she's supposed to make a party out of it?

I think we were lucky to have the Gaiety as long as we did.

But frankly I was getting tired of the "new" Gaiety anyway. It had become much more professional, in the sense that lawyers who fractionalize billable hours are professional. In the Old Days, you had this crowd of sweet guys coming in from the burbs to strut their stuff, suck a few cocks and get some money to take home to LI or Jersey. It was nice, and I liked it. $200 going on $300 to let you ogle them for 20 to 30 minutes before the roommate returns or the phone rings? Let them go back to Montreal where they can't get away with it!

Uggggggggggh! I have just arrived in New York tonight from London, and since I was travelling today, didn't have time to check this bulletin board today at all -- so was completely unaware of this DISASTROUS news! And of course I spent the entire flight looking forward to paying a visit to one of my favourite places on earth as soon as I got to town.

I was particularly looking forward to checking out Nick the Dick... Even though I don't get to the Gaiety all that often, I feel I experience it vicariously every week via this site, and earlier this week when I found out the line-up, my appetite was truly whetted...

So, no sooner did I dump my luggage at the apartment I am staying at than I headed over to 46th Street -- only to find the hastily scrawled note, "The Gaiety is closed -- thank you for 30 glorious years" pinned to the door.

This has felt like it might be inevitable for a few years now, and each time I have arrived in New York with a lot of anticipation but also a little trepidation -- will this be the last time I get to go there? Now it's finally happened -- and I've missed it by just one day. My timing truly sucks....

The Gaiety has been an integral part of my New York experience for almost as long as I've been coming here -- probably 22 years! (Heck, I'm getting older, but I started young!)Will there *ever* be another place like it? I doubt it....

RE: Squeezing the last drop?

>Lots more money to be made that way than to close suddenly.

>Thats what the head scratcher is for me.

No, that's the way they've always closed.

Going all the way back to the Chesapeake House in DC (and I'm sure others before it) ... they operate normally and announce closing at closing time.

When Show Palace in NYC closed, there was no notice. In fact, the billboard showed the name of that weekend's headliner all week. People going to see the show were greeted with locked doors and a CLOSED sign.

With a "theater venue" (yes I know I'm stretching that description) any hint of closing means business drops like a rock.

Oddly enough, this weeks' copy of HX magazine

has a half page advertisement announcing GQ

performing at the Gaeity from March 18 - 27.

Unless the ads get placed weeks in advance, it

seems odd that Denise would have bothered with

placing it knowing the Gaeity's number was up...

>Oddly enough, this weeks' copy of HX magazine

>has a half page advertisement announcing GQ

>performing at the Gaeity from March 18 - 27.

>Unless the ads get placed weeks in advance, it

>seems odd that Denise would have bothered with

>placing it knowing the Gaeity's number was up...

This proves that it was an unplanned closing.

Rumors started in Jan 2005 about the building renovations and or sale. Nothing could be verified at that time. The only knowledge Denise had was this event could happen within three months. And it did. It occurred this past Monday.

One cannot announce a closing three months in advance on speculation. We all know that. If the sale did not happen for another year from the time Denise heard about it, then there would have been a bigger problem if she went on pure speculation. It's bad enough to announce and advertise a feature dancer performing on a particular week which turns out to be no show, let alone announcing the closing of the club before the papers are actually signed for the building sale. The first sign of this sale going through was the Ho Jo closing event. There again, the HO JO closing maybe had nothing to do with the building sale.

To be very honest with you, this building sale and renovations have been talked about for the past 2+ years.

It was a tough call for Denise but really out of her hands.

I just talked with her a few minutes ago. She's fine, bored, anxious, and finding it difficult to relax a bit. She needs a breather now.

Thanks

This does nothing to negate the reality that she, by law, is definitely entitled to, and undoubtedly received notice of the lease termination with the previous building owner, as called for in her specific lease. As an owner of several rental properties in NYC, I assure you that the new owner is required to abide by the existing tenant's leases. Each and every lease has a "notice clause" that spells out the obligations of the Lessee and Lessor in every circumstance.

The closing was kept to herself to ensure her ability to retain dancers and maximize profits. Have no doubt. If not, I humbly offer my services to fight the breach of lease lawsuit in court.

Guest msclonly

OLD NEWS

The closing of the G has been posted on this board for months, rumor or otherwise. So I find all the outrage, nonsensical at this point and just more negativity to munch on, over and over with name calling Denise, per the usual diatribes!

}(

RE: OLD NEWS

Frankly, I agree with you.....the rumors have been around for years and we all knew it would happen someday.

Now what I would like to hear is how difficult it is to get a licence to open a new club of this type in today's Gotham? There is obviously a viable business to be had here.

• 11 months later...

RE: Gaiety Closing Thread

Out to Taz and all the others who enjoyed the shows at the famous Gaiety Theatre...

There are hundreds of threads in this forum about the Gaiety and how patrons reported on the shows. This particular one tells of the Gaiety's closing and the initial reactions.

People will always enjoy talking about their memories/experiences at the G and their favorite dancers.

Archived