Gaiety Locale & Hotel Info

OneFinger
This topic is 7410 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I'm heading to NYC in December and plan to visit the Gaiety again. Haven't been to NYC since 1988 and am not familiar with the area.

Can anyone recommend a moderately priced hotel near the Gaiety (which I believe is in the Theatre District). Would also appreciate some up-to-date opinions about the safety of walking around that area late at night.

Appreciate your help and apologize if this has been covered before. I've searched but can't find what I'm looking for.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm going to be there 12-5 (Friday) thru 12-8 (Monday). Arriving by train from Boston. Walking around the theatre district is not a big deal and I prefer that to the expense of cabs. For day-time sightseeing, I plan to use the subway system.

A year ago I spent time in DC and walked the entire Mall area. So I don't object to hiking.

As for budget, I'm cheap. I'd prefer to spend my money on theatre tickets and Gaiety tips than on a place to lay my head. I'm looking for lodging that is clean, safe, and convenient. Older hotels won't bother me but I certainly don't want a place where they've got cockroaches, mice, and bedbugs.

When I was there in 1988, I stayed at an older hotel less than a block from the Gaiety and really liked the location.

Thanks for the suggestions. Tried booking the Belvedere and they are FULL!! Also noticed that properties (higher end) in that area are also fully booked. Didn't expect things to be that busy.

Days Inn is available but the price (using HooBoys link) was over $200/night and (of course) required payment in full at time of reservation.

Called Days Inn direct and was quoted the same price as HooBoys link without having to pre-pay. So, I have a reservation there and will use it unless I can find something a little more reasonable.

FYI, a lot of the less-expensive hotels expect you to share a bath!!! Do they really expect you to prance down the hall in your boxers just to drain your vein in the middle of the night?!? I also haven't used a communial shower since the military. Not exactly what I consider acceptable acommodations. x(

I feel your pain, dude. I had the same experience when I was in NYC 2 weeks ago. There wasn't a heck of a lot available and I too thought the rates were a just a tad on the high side. I wound up staying at the Metropolitan at 51st and Lexington, which was okay, but really not worth the 3 and 1/2 star rating on Orbitz and hotels.com. Cost me $200 a night, which I had to pay in advance and it was an 8 block walk to Gaiety and 9 blocks to Stellas (no problem for me as I truly enjoyed the walk and I didn't consider it too much).

But it was the location I was interested in as I wanted some place close enough to walk to Central Park and the 5th Avenue shopping district and a very short walk to the subway to go downtown.

Considering the hotel prices in DC, I really didn't think the Manhattan prices were out of line. I also found the cab fares reasonable. What the heck it was only $21 plus tip from LaGuardia airport to the hotel (I found this more than reasonable and was pleasantly suprised that it was that cheap).

I hope you find something that pleases you and I hope you have a great time!

>

>Called Days Inn direct and was quoted the same price as

>HooBoys link without having to pre-pay. So, I have a

>reservation there and will use it unless I can find something

>a little more reasonable.

>

I would give Best Western President a chance since the others are sold out or expensive. Try them on orbitz (or one of those sites) or call directly. Even during busy times they are usually less than $200. The rooms are small, but clean.

I would second the President as the best of the lot. For the record, you've picked the most expensive time of the year to visit the Big Apple. Hotel rooms are about a 1/3 more between Halloween and Christmas, particularly on weekends. Its even worse than the middle of summer when you would expect the tourist trade to be at its height. Often you can get a better rate away from Times Square, and as long as there is a subway stop on the 1,2,3(Times Square) or the A,B(Port Authority) close to the hotel you can be in the heart of things within minutes.

Seems to me there is an ok cheap hotel between Stellas and where Cats used to be that is part of a national chain-in fact right next to cats.

I usually stay at the Pennsylvania-they always have a cheapie rate floating around,safe location-right across from penn station,clean-if somwhat small rooms(with private baths)and a $20 slipped into the front deskpersons hand can do wonders as far as an upgrade)and not toooo far from the theatre distrct.

Of course I am a big advocate of Priceline.Visit Biddingfortravel.com for advise on haw to get the most out of your priceline bidding.

If you are not commfy with priceline please use travelaxe.com.You will be able to download a program which pulls up prices from many travel sites at one time and finds you the best price for the hotel that you choose.One caveat=you might want to consult a friend(or this board)about aparticular hotel before you buy-the ratings levels most of these discounters use are just not accurate(AAA is still one of the best indicators of quality-if you are a member go get their guide for NYC)

I will do some research for your dates and get back to you with some recomendations.

JEEZ LOUISE!!!!!That is one expensive town!!!

This is a really $$$$ time of year to visit.I did find you some"decent"lodgings for around$150 anight.

The Gershwin hotel(very very small rooms-but kinda hip and a good location)

A newly renovated place called the THIRTY THIRTY

Here is a link for the 30-30

http://www.hotelkingdom.com/hotelinfo/info.asp?hotel_id=468

I would do the following,book a back up CANCELABLE reservation at one of the above.Then place a $110 bid on priceline for a three star hotel in mid-town west on priceline for your dates.If rejected-don't worry,come back in three days and bid $120.I am pretty sure some hotel will accept that.You will get a better hotel,and have more money for shopping and other treats.

I recommend:

1) Best Western President on 48th, near Eighth. I've stayed there for as little as $99 on weeknights. Very clean, good service, not far from the Gaiety.

2) Edison. Next door to the Gaiety on 46th and 47th. I have stayed there for as little as $135 per night. Old, but very clean, good service, good security. They will give price cuts to travelers who have a history there.

3) Comfort Inn/Quality Inn on 46th and 47th. As low as $125. Very small rooms, clean, but noisy.

I have always felt safe walking around this area as late as 3 AM.

Have a good trip.

Just for kicks I checked the BW President for the 12/5 thru 12/8 weekend *** $360 *** per night for Friday and Saturday nights dropping to 150 on Sunday night. Looks like New York is back to pre 9/11 status as far as hotel rooms go. I remember in November 2000 I couldn't find any place I wanted to stay close to Times Square in mid November for less than $400 - which I refuse to pay. Penn Station area as a previous poster suggested is certainly an option, you are one stop away from TS on the 1,2,or 3 lines only about 5 minutes depending on the time of day - and its 8 blocks-the short way- if you're in shape. Grand Central area is another option since there is a subway shuttle than runs across to TS area. See what Priceline turns up or postpone your trip to January when the same room will go for $119 probably

WOW, I can't believe all the good info I'm getting. I did book Days Inn without prepay just to make sure I've got someplace to stay.

I've also found Ramada (across from Penn Station) at a cheaper prepaid price than Days Inn. The Edison is also one that I remember from my previous 1988 visit. I'll check there to see if they have rooms with private bath. Really don't want to share.

I can't postpone the trip since I'm combining this with a business meeting. I'm sure the prices would be less after January.

Now for Gaiety info. Is there a "best" time to show up to get a good seat? I'm assuming that Friday & Saturday nights are very crowded. But what about Sunday (either afternoon or evening)?

Thanks again for all the help. That's what I really like about the Hooville community!

Guest New Yorker Guy

You might want to trythe Portland Square Hotel

http://www.portlandsquarehotel.com/

It is a budget hotel 2 blocks from the G. Check the following for reviews:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60763-d93525-Reviews-Portland_Square-New_York_City_New_York.html

A little more upscale, but still cheaper than most is the Milford Plaza, on Eighth Ave near 44th St.

I would agree with most that's been said here. I have used Priceline with great success in the Midtown West area. If you're trying for 4 star places, I believe there are no 4 stars Upper West Side, so you can add that and go a bit higher if your first bid is refused.

I have gotten the NY Hilton most often when bidding in this region. Prices have definitely gone up recently, much harder to get a cheap room.

As for the question of when to go, it depends and varies a lot week to week. Friday nights are generally less crowded than Saturday, but not always.

I would not suggest Sunday afternoons, only because many of the guys go out to celebrate the end of their work weeks and stay out quite late and sometimes have problems getting it up. Still, it's always a good show.

Thanks for info on the Gaiety. Will definately plan on going Friday night and try to pop in on Saturday.

Just tried Priceline and I'm not getting any better deals than Hotels.com. The Hilton was $350/night!! I'm thinking my best bet is to go with Ramada. Thank goodness I didn't wait any longer to book.

One Finger: First off, have a great time in NYC, Dec. is a very festive time to be here. The holiday decorations along 5th Ave. are spectacular.

I never thought I'd be suggesting this hotel, but they do have rooms available, it is close to the Gaiety, and it's moderately priced.

Hotel St. James: http://www.hotelstjames.com for reservations call 1-888-311-2978. Rooms for a single go for $100 a night. It's located on 45th St. between 6th and 7th. It's an easy walk to the Gaiety. If you decided to stay there, ask for one of the recently renovated rooms. This hotel is in the same league as the Portland.

As for visiting the Gaiety. I'd recommend the 9:15pm show on Fri or Sat. Get there around 9 and watch the finale from the previous show. Following the finale, the early show gets out. Stand along the wall and claim a ringside seat when the patrons leave. Have a good time!

The sign for the St. James Hotel was used in the movie "Big". I did have occasion to see the inside of the hotel a few months ago and the room I saw had been renovated and would be adequate to stay in for a few days. it was a lot better than the room Tom Hanks had!

>...I'd recommend the 9:15pm show on Fri or Sat. Get there around 9 and watch the finale from the previous show. Following the finale, the early show gets out. Stand along the wall and claim a ringside seat when the patrons leave. Have a good time!

Thanks for the great info. But, I still have some really dumb questions on the Gaiety.

1. Do they have a website listing times, headliners, etc.?

2. Are there actually set times for live shows or is it continuous "bump and grind"?

3. Are there "in and out" privledges or is it a day-long pass? Is it a "price per show" like a movie theatre?

4. At Nob Hill they have private rooms for more private shows. ;-) Is there anything like this at Gaiety and what about lap dances, touching, etc.?

5. Why is Gaiety not listed with all the other strip show places on this site? I love links (such as the one to Nob Hill) where you can get a variety of info and not just a list of headliners.

Again, I appreciate all your great help and apologize if I'm asking for info that's "common" knowledge with the regulars.

I'd love to meet any of you guys while I'm there. Feel free to e-mail me privately if you're interested.

>Thanks for the great info. But, I still have some really dumb

>questions on the Gaiety.

>

>1. Do they have a website listing times, headliners, etc.?

No, the Gaiety does not have a website. I did a FAQ on the Gaiety which has the show times, fees, and general information. The Strip Club FAQ is located at the top of this Forum.

>

>2. Are there actually set times for live shows or is it

>continuous "bump and grind"?

There are set times for the 5 daily shows.

>

>3. Are there "in and out" privledges or is it a day-long pass?

>Is it a "price per show" like a movie theatre?

>

The only in/out privileges are for smoking. Once you leave, you'll have to pay to re-enter. Weekday's $17, weekend's $20

>4. At Nob Hill they have private rooms for more private shows.

>;-) Is there anything like this at Gaiety and what about lap

>dances, touching, etc.?

No private rooms, but dancers will have a hotel room available for a private show. No lap dances in the Gaiety Theatre. No touching while on stage. The "no touching" policy is mentioned at the start of each show.

>

>5. Why is Gaiety not listed with all the other strip show

>places on this site? I love links (such as the one to Nob

>Hill) where you can get a variety of info and not just a list

>of headliners.

>

M4M has the most current and up to date information available on the Gaiety. Each week a new thread is started listing the lineup and information on the dancers.

Archived