Gas Prices in Your area, Let's hear about it.

Talvin DeMachio
This topic is 947 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bought a hybrid Civic last year. Holy jeez - 700 miles on an 11-gallon tank if I drive like grandma. It gives me pictures of flowers and leaves on the dash if I do a good job driving!!

Don't know if yours has a power mode for driving, when I press that little button, it sucks up gas like crazy, but I can outrun a lot of cars :p its like "They went plaid", fast :p

Don't know if yours has a power mode for driving, when I press that little button, it sucks up gas like crazy, but I can outrun a lot of cars :p its like "They went plaid", fast :p

It has an " eco" button, which I usually keep engaged unless I'm driving uphill with the AC on.

Caveat - Long post about my stuff, stinginess:

$2.069 for regular at the Arco at 52nd & Shattuck North Oakland *California* yesterday.

Though a goodly fraction more expensive than the rest of the country, the cheapest I've seen

that was easily obtainable in a long time.

I had a bottom of the line acura integra that I drove for 12 years and 140,000 miles.

Somebody stole and stripped out the radiator, generator some of the interior stuff and

CSAA deemed it "uneconomical to repair" and cashed it out for $4,000, about 4 years ago.

(I was surprised that they considered it worth that much, but certainly wasn't going to argue with them.)

So I bought a bottom of the line Honda Insight - (a sort of imitation Prius).

At the time, gas was going for around $4/gallon. And I did the math (assuming $4/gallon, 40 miles to

the gallon for an Insight and 50 miles to the gallon for a real Prius) and determined that

the extra cost of the hybrid stuff over a comparable Honda Fit would be made up by driving the

car 60,000 miles. I was hoping to get 200,000 out of it. The bottom-of-the-line actual full sized

Prius was about $6,000 more than the Insight. In order to make up that difference, I would have

had to drive a Prius 300,000.

With gas going at $2 a gallon, it doubles the distances. (Although having already driven about 25,000 miles before prices began to plummet, I only need to drive about 90K more to break even).

The Insight is totally gutless going up hills. Definitely best for the flats.

The other thing that surprised me is that my insurance *dropped* after buying a more

expensive new car, than keeping the old one.

The insurance agent said that drivers of Insights were less likely to get into accidents,

and that the repair parts were cheaper. (Honda v.s. Acura, even though the same corporation).

The insurance agent said that drivers of Insights were less likely to get into accidents,

and that the repair parts were cheaper. (Honda v.s. Acura, even though the same corporation).

The price differential for parts doesn't surprise me. Acura is pitched as a luxury brand, whereas Honda is an upscale middle-of-the-road brand. Acura views BMW, Mercedes and Audi, all of which charge a lot for parts, as its competition. That's not true (or as true) of Honda.

I paid $1.39 a gallon yesterday at a Costco here in north Jersey.

• 2 weeks later...
It has an " eco" button, which I usually keep engaged unless I'm driving uphill with the AC on.

My Mercedes also has an "eco" button, but as far as I can tell, all it does is shut down the engine to save gas whenever I am stopped at a light (which happens a lot here in SoCal). I traded my last Mercedes for a Prius during the gas panic in 2008, and bought another in 2010. They got fabulous gas mileage and were very reliable, but boring as hell to drive. Then I got a Mazda3, which was lots of fun to drive and also got remarkable mileage, but it was too small for old men to get in and out easily, so now it is back to the M-B.

• 2 years later...

lk052318_color.jpg?w=640&h=465

NEW YORK CITY (FOX5NY) - With the summer travel season fast approaching, gas prices are on the rise but some people are getting sticker shock in Manhattan.

Regular gas has hit $5 a gallon at at least one station. A Mobil station on 11th Ave. in Hell's Kitchen has raised its prices to $4.999 a gallon. That's well above the current average for the five boroughs.

Regular gas has hit $5 a gallon at at least one station.

YIKES! My local Costco (best gas prices around here) is only charging $3.05 a gallon for regular, and $3.49 for Premium.

GasBuddy is a great website. And yes, prices have gone up, but I just attribute that to the switch to summer blend that supposedly is more expensive to refine.

Google reports $3.40 for regular at the Richmond Costco, Gas Buddy is reporting $3.49 for an independent at 8th & University in Berkeley (where I usually get gas), and $3.29 at various ARCO's up in Sacramento, where I was going to graduate school for two years(past tense; awaiting diploma in mail!). Ironically, my mom used to work for ARCO doing operations research ...

Edited by honcho

oh I miss the olden days (March, 2016) when gas in my burg was $1.139/gal (see that era in this thread)......just paid $2.739 for regular at my local Costco......

agree with something mentioned earlier by another: I'd gladly pay more in gas tax if it was directed to domestic infrastructure.....I'm afraid there will be another catastrophe, though, in the next few months.....

oh I miss the olden days (March, 2016) when gas in my burg was $1.139/gal (see that era in this thread)......just paid $2.739 for regular at my local Costco......

agree with something mentioned earlier by another: I'd gladly pay more in gas tax if it was directed to domestic infrastructure.....I'm afraid there will be another catastrophe, though, in the next few months.....

Up here in Phoenix Circle K is charging $3.05 per gallon.

Gas is FREE to any good rimboys

Yet another reason not to use Pure for Men.

My cars all require 93 octane. Damn!

Get a Costco membership.

If it's any consolation, the last two cars I had that required 93 octane, were also the most fuel efficient relative to other similar cars (size, engine, horsepower), that used regular.