Gold likely to be at $3,000 in 2025? Time to buy?

Op note: how much, where to keep it., insurance, where to sell it?

Should be part of your investments and fortunately Ebay allows you to sell it directly to someone else but at a 10% selling fee.

WWW.CNBC.COM

There's an off chance that gold prices could soar to $3,000 per ounce, and oil to surge to $100 per barrel within the next 12 to 18 months, says Citi.

Traditionally, they say hold 5% of your net worth in gold.  It protects against runaway inflation and war.  As far as the present price ($2400/oz as I write this), a historical measure makes it overvalued.  Gold is supposed to protect you against the depreciation of paper money.  Gold was $35.00 an ounce in the 1930's.  If you track that to the CPI since the 1930's, gold should be about $750.00 an ounce today.  It's 3 times that today.  It doesn't mean it won't go to $3,000/oz but right now it's expensive relative to the long-term depreciation of the dollar caused by inflation.  I don't know what to tell you.

In the late 90's and early 00's, it fell to below $300 an ounce and below the trend line.  

Edited by augustus

Posted (edited)
On 4/16/2024 at 3:53 AM, Kevin Slater said:

I don't like holding  very much gold.  It produces no income and in fact takes money to store and secure (even if in the form of an etf).

Kevin Slater

Depends on how much you're storing.

Most folks simply buy gold coins and hide them. 

GOLDSILVER.COM

Conceal your precious metals from theft with our tips and suggestions for hiding gold and silver bullion in the living room, kitchen, bedroom or garden.

Obviously let's avoid places like flour and pasta containers, mattress, sofa, etc.

I've heard a hollow baseboard would be a great choice or just bury it in the garden under a specific plant...

Edited by marylander1940

I used to sit on the couch with Dad and watch Louis Rukeyser on Friday night. 

Rukeyser would tease about the Gold Bugs, investors that never let go of their recommendation to buy gold. 

He teased about a lot of things.  A clever fellow.  

Young folk are interested in crypto more than gold.  I wonder what Rukeyser would think about our modern investing landscape.