Tommy, revival

Saw it tonight. 

A solid, appropriately loud and techno-designed version of this long standing rock opera.

It's had several months to preview and clean up in Chicago at The Goodman and it's come onto Broadway in fighting shape.  

In typical Des McAnuff style, there's a lot of LED lighting and high-def screens, all used creatively to tell the story.

Alison Luff, Adam Jacobs and Ali Bourzgui are standouts.  The music requires a healthy range and the leads made it sound effortless.

HIghly recommend this show if you're a fan of The Who.

15 hours ago, Becket said:

After seeing the movie Tommy as a kid, Ann Margaret made me straight for about a day and a half. Gorgeous!

1 hour ago, BenjaminNicholas said:

Fuck, she was foxy, no?

She did that for me with Bye Bye Birdie.  Just insanely beautiful (and talented).

How could neither of you mention her sexiest role?!?!?

1f950c192694aaf269a4e09497938fbd8c8d94f6

On 3/27/2024 at 11:50 PM, BenjaminNicholas said:

Saw it tonight. 

A solid, appropriately loud and techno-designed version of this long standing rock opera.

It's had several months to preview and clean up in Chicago at The Goodman and it's come onto Broadway in fighting shape.  

In typical Des McAnuff style, there's a lot of LED lighting and high-def screens, all used creatively to tell the story.

Alison Luff, Adam Jacobs and Ali Bourzgui are standouts.  The music requires a healthy range and the leads made it sound effortless.

HIghly recommend this show if you're a fan of The Who.

The NY Post raved.

I saw the original TOMMY musical when it toured my city 30 years ago (my friend and I were subscribers to the theater back then). We both had no desire to see this - we simply weren't in the mood that night and we weren't 'Who' fans (we were 30 at the time, both saw the movie in the 70s and didn't remember much of the story).  Begrudgingly, we ended up at the theater - and had the best night of our lives. The show was incredible (especially for a 'tour' show). We were mesmerized that Friday night, and bought tickets to the Saturday matinee. We were fascinated once again. I bought the cast musical (double CD) and played it every day for about a year. 

I'm going to try to get to NYC and see the revival. What's keeping me away is the price of hotels and tickets to the show - everything is still out of whack. 

2 hours ago, Ali Gator said:

What's keeping me away is the price of hotels and tickets to the show - everything is still out of whack. 

That's not going to change anytime soon.  There's no longer a shoulder/off-season in NYC.

Broadway ticket prices aren't going down either.  TDF, TKTS, digital lotteries, etc, are all the way to go for discounts.