The Neil Diamond Musical: “A Beautiful Noise”

This is definitely a show you’ll want to sing along with and tap your feet. I thoroughly enjoying it. 

The show begins with 2 actors sitting on stage. One is (old) Neil Diamond, played by Mark Jacoby,  and the other is his therapist. Here begins the story of Neil Diamond as he reflects on his career using the lyrics from a song book. 

The role of young Neil is played by Nick Fradiani. He’s excellent. Voice and mannerisms are just like Neil’s. 

There’s lots of singing, dancing, and storytelling. Orchestra will appear on stage during concert like numbers. And, yes, the audience is encouraged to sing along! 

I attended a Wednesday matinee. Purchased my tickets at TKTS. Had 2nd row orchestra. Mostly an older audience. 

image.jpegimage.jpeg

This show, which opened December 4, 2022 , will have its last performance on June 30, 2024. So if you want to see it - get your tickets sooner than later. (The national tour kicks off this fall.) 

Another musical that is more about the audience getting to sing than getting to watch excellent performers. 
Sing-alongs shouldn't cost this much. 
Producers look for the cheapest possible productions and sadly audiences flock to see them. It's hard to get great theater on Broadway when people are willing to pay money for this garbage. 

My mother would have loved it. But Benjamin, you don't like us to sing in your Broadway show? We could never go see Les Mis together. I know all the words.

Look Down! Look Down! Don't look em in the eye!

Oh God! For Shame! I do not even know your name! Dear Mademoiselle. Who can tell?

A New Argentina! The chains of the masses untied!    oooops! 

I wonder whether theatre in New York and London suffers from the competition between different productions and the one audience pool imposing a single narrative over everything that is available. Perhaps smaller, second tier markets have less jaded and more receptive audiences, and shorter runs for productions so the audience doesn't have time to tire of them.

20 hours ago, Becket said:

My mother would have loved it. But Benjamin, you don't like us to sing in your Broadway show? We could never go see Les Mis together. I know all the words.

Look Down! Look Down! Don't look em in the eye!

Oh God! For Shame! I do not even know your name! Dear Mademoiselle. Who can tell?

A New Argentina! The chains of the masses untied!    oooops! 

Just because you know the words doesn't mean it's kosher to sing-along.

You sit.  You clap.  You piss at intermission.  You get an overpriced beverage.  You clap again.  You stand.  You leave. 

Welcome to a Broadway show 👍

5 hours ago, nycman said:

You guys do know there’s New York theater beyond Broadway, right?

We- and by that I mean, I- are well-aware of off-broadway, off-off-broadway, off-off-off-broadway and fringe.

But 80%+ of tourists stay in midtown and don't venture out further.

That no one here has yet mentioned Oh, Mary! at the Lucille Lortell makes me a little sad.

18 minutes ago, BenjaminNicholas said:

You sit.  You clap.  You piss at intermission.  You get an overpriced beverage.  You clap again.  You stand.  You leave. 

You sit.  You crap.  You piss.  at commercial breaks  You get a beverage.  You crap again.  You sigh.  You take some pepto. 

Welcome to Taco TV night 👍

41 minutes ago, BenjaminNicholas said:

Just because you know the words doesn't mean it's kosher to sing-along.

Saw Marry Poppins in London. The audience blasted out ever syllable of "Supercalafragilisticexpialadocious". WITH Clapping! 

It was marvelous; Practically perfect in every way. 

I'm just shocked.....SHOCKED......you wouldn't get into that!

Track list from Beautiful Noise  

Act I
1. Opening Montage
2. A Beautiful Noise
3. Neil Pitches Songs: I’ll Come Running/ I Got the Feelin’ (Oh No, No) / I’m A Believer
4. I’m A Believer
5. Demo Medley: The Boat That I Row/ Red Red Wine/ Kentucky Woman
6. Kentucky Woman
7. Into the Bitter End
8. Solitary Man
9. Cracklin’ Rosie
10. Song Sung Blue
11. Cherry, Cherry/ September Morn
12. Love on the Rocks
13. Hello Again
14. A Heavenly Progression
15. Sweet Caroline

Act II
16. Entr’acte
17. Brother Love’s Traveling Salvation Show
18. Play Me
19. Forever in Blue Jeans
20. Stadium Medley: Soolaimon/ Thank the Lord for the Night Time/ Crunchy Granola Suite
21. You Don’t Bring Me Flowers
22. Brooklyn Roads/America
23. Shilo
24. I Am… I Said
25. Holly Holy 

I think I'd rather buy Neil Diamond's Greatest Hits and sing in my living room ... or car, shower, kitchen, wherever (without annoying anyone!).  I'm sure the show's entertaining, but listening to the download would be much cheaper and endlessly repeatable.  I'm happy to pay good money to listen to great vocals (I went to Phantom here in Las Vegas 5x, saw Celine twice, Andrea Bocelli once), but this show seems more about fun & nostalgia.

Neil Diamond has Parkinson’s and can no longer tour. I didn’t know this till after I saw the show and read it in the Playbill.  During the show I was wondering why the actor playing “old” Neil, Mark Jacoby,  kept shaking his fingers as if he were nervous.

If you like Neil’s music you’re going to love this show. Has anyone else seen it? I’d appreciate hearing from you.

Some 30 years ago I saw Neil in concert at the Nassau Coliseum on Long Island. It was a remarkable show! The actor playing young Neil, Nick Fradiani, is amazing! The show deals with Neil’s life, the ups & downs, something you can’t get just listening to his music. 

Last time I went to a sing-along on Broadway was to 'Summer: The Donna Summer Musical" in 2018.  As a big Summer fan, I couldn't imagine how bad this show could be (especially with the people involved in bringing this to Broadway).  It was 75 minutes of drunk, menopausal women singing off key and dancing in the aisles of a half empty theater. Thank heavens for some of the older good looking gay guys and younger twinks in the audience. 

@Ali Gator, There have been several Broadway productions that celebrated the lives of well known singers. 

Some that I enjoyed were: Good Vibrations (Beach Boys), Beautiful (Carole King), Ain’t Too Proud (Temptations), more recently, MJ the Musical (Michael Jackson).  On Your Feet (Gloria Estafan). That one had the audience join a conga line! The Cher Show (Cher), etc. 

I really enjoyed Beautiful Noise. It was a most interesting and informative show. Also, well written and acted. The audience participation didn’t take place till the curtain call. It was a lot of fun! I saw a matinee. Too early for “drunks”. 😂 🥂