Morocco - Any Tips, Suggestions, things to not miss?

Heading to Morocco early May, haven't been before but will be working with a tour provider for a private tour throughout the country.  The prior threads on the topic of Morocco are very old.  Has anyone been to the country in the past 2 years or so?   Will be landing Casablanca, then from there - El Jadida, Marrakech, several stops in the south to the Atlas Mountains then to Erg Chegaga for a Sahara desert excursion.  Then make my way up to Fez and Chefchaouen ending back at Casablanca.  If time permits may head to Dakhla (via flight from Casablanca).  From what I've read - hiring someone can be iffy and most accommodations won't allow locals into the hotel/riad.  Any suggestions for things to not miss?

On 2/6/2024 at 2:26 PM, Njguy2 said:

Heading to Morocco early May, haven't been before but will be working with a tour provider for a private tour throughout the country.  The prior threads on the topic of Morocco are very old.  Has anyone been to the country in the past 2 years or so?   Will be landing Casablanca, then from there - El Jadida, Marrakech, several stops in the south to the Atlas Mountains then to Erg Chegaga for a Sahara desert excursion.  Then make my way up to Fez and Chefchaouen ending back at Casablanca.  If time permits may head to Dakhla (via flight from Casablanca).  From what I've read - hiring someone can be iffy and most accommodations won't allow locals into the hotel/riad.  Any suggestions for things to not miss?

Tangiers is NOT included?  I was there in the 70s and found it to be an unusually delightful city on my first stop and only time being in that part of the world.

Read some current material to see if what you read will encourage your going there.  

{I had no sexual experiences while there, for I was "green" during those days as well as somewhat virginal.}

Edited by Axiom2001

32 minutes ago, Axiom2001 said:

Tangiers is NOT included?  

There's only one city there: Tangier. ☺️

It's much more European than other places in Morocco, and the prohibitions on alcohol are much looser. I find it a bit boring compared to more traditionally Moroccan cities. 

I’ve never been to Tangier but having read about it from different sources over the last 20 years, I would have liked it in the post war period up to the 70’s. Of course far too young then so if I had been there I would be dead now, like all the people who were part of the scene. Paul Bowles and his lesbian wife, Tennessee Williams, Truman Capote, Burroughs, etc. There were some super rich Americans and British there too like Doris Duke and I think a Guinness heiress. 

The only place I have been to in Morocco is Marrakech, about a dozen years ago.. We went because an old friend threw a milestone birthday party for himself, and invited friends and family from around the world to join him (he rented two riads in the medina for all his guests). Since it was a mixed group, there was no gay sexual hankypanky, so I can't speak to that scene, but the setting was as exotic as any I have ever experienced, right out of an old black-and-white movie from the 1930s. I would gladly go back, if only for the food.

1 hour ago, Charlie said:

The only place I have been to in Morocco is Marrakech, about a dozen years ago.. We went because an old friend threw a milestone birthday party for himself, and invited friends and family from around the world to join him (he rented two riads in the medina for all his guests). Since it was a mixed group, there was no gay sexual hankypanky, so I can't speak to that scene, but the setting was as exotic as any I have ever experienced, right out of an old black-and-white movie from the 1930s. I would gladly go back, if only for the food.

I’ve heard about kif but never much about the food. What makes it special?

15 hours ago, Luv2play said:

I’ve heard about kif but never much about the food. What makes it special?

I couldn't tell you much about the ingredients, but a Moroccan tagine is a large pan in which food is cooked and served; most contain meat (lamb is a favorite) and a variety of vegetables and spices. Since all the meals I had were communal, we had tagines frequently, and I never was served one that I didn't enjoy.

Edited by Charlie

6 hours ago, Charlie said:

I couldn't tell you much about the ingredients, but a Moroccan tagine is a large pan in which food is cooked and served; most contain meat (lamb is a favorite) and a variety of vegetables and spices. Since all the meals I had were communal, we had tagines frequently, and I never was served one that I didn't enjoy.

Sounds like couscous to me. The best I ever had was done by Pied Noir from Algeria who had settled in Geneva after the war of independence.

2 minutes ago, Luv2play said:

Sounds like couscous to me. The best I ever had was done by Pied Noir from Algeria who had settled in Geneva after the war of independence.

I just looked it up: a tangine is a clay bowl with a conical lid. I’ve had couscous served in one at a Moroccan restaurant in Montreal. 
I saw that other dishes can be prepared in it or a skillet or other similar utensil ( I use Creuset ware myself) like lemon chicken without couscous.