Got my second Shingles shot - have no fear, ask me anything!

Ali Gator

Yesterday, I got my second Shingles shot (Shingrix), as my first was given to me the first week of October. The patient is supposed to wait at least two months between shots but no longer than six months (otherwise its ineffective), so I was right in the middle at three months. Since I turned 60 this year, and had chicken pox when I was 12, my PCP strongly recommended I get the Shingles vax.

Now I've heard so many horror stories about patients suffering from side-effects after the second dose (the pharmacist at Walgreens, where I went for both shots, explained in simple terms how the 'first vax' tries to fight off the second vax, not knowing they are working together).  

Here is a rundown of what some of the side effects are after the second shot (though not everyone suffers the same) : Nauseous, high fever, body aches, fatigue. According to the pharmacist, these usually kick in about 12 hours after you get the shot, and usually last about 12 - 24 hours. She recommended I pick up some chicken soup (enough for two days) at the Italian restaurant next door (I did) and take 2 Tylenol every eight hours over the first 24 hours, to keep the fever and aches away. Most importantly - hydrate! Drink plenty of water (I did).

Overall, I feel fine 24 hours after the shot. During the night, I got up to drink water every couple of hours (and go to the bathroom), and my lower back was a bit achy as were my legs. I got up this morning, took 2 more Tylenol and for the past few hours (sitting up watching TV, eating breakfast) the aches and pains went away.  I was never nauseous, I never had a fever - the Tylenol definitely helped. 

So if you're debating about the Shingles shot - and heard horror stories about the second shot  - I encourage you to put your fears aside and plan accordingly.  Hydrate, take plenty of Tylenol (to keep the aches and pains away), eat chicken soup and other proteins.  One thing which helped me was going for my shot this week while I was on vacation - this way I didn't need to take a sick day or personal time from my job. I recommend you plan to get it on a Friday (even before you go to work or on your lunch hour - your side effects will kick in 12 hours later), so you have Saturday to recuperate. Remember - you only need a Shingles vax once in your life - and you don't want to risk getting shingles (it's painful). 

I hope my sharing this experience helps those who have concerns. Everyone should be pro-active and get the Shingles shot if your 60 and older (some say 50 and older - ask your PCP). Feel free to ask me anything ! 

PS - Also on your list should be the annual flu shot, pneumonia (every five years) and TDAP (every 10). As for the COVID vax updates, that's up to you (my PCP has advised against it, so I have not been updating since 2021 - he believes we know have herd immunity).