masseurs with multi-visit packages

viewing ownly

The previous thread on this was dead, so it starts anew. Has anyone donated for multiple future visits with an masseur offering such an arrangement? Up-front giving the amount for, say, four at one time, with the 5th one free? I did something similar to this with someone who was so wonderful, and it created a problem.

Because of this, I won't do an arrangement like this anymore. In my case, I saw him, gave him the amount for that appointment before it began, Then arranged a "4-pack" which was less expensive than four individual sessions right afterward. He was erroneously counting that first visit which was handled separately as the first of the 4-pack. That fifth massage was deliberately lousy, him because he's thinking I'm trying to get a free massage, and me being in an angry mood because of the misunderstanding.

There's also the massive risk of the provider disappearing, and we're simply screwed out of the donation at that point.

On 12/27/2023 at 10:22 AM, viewing ownly said:

The previous thread on this was dead, so it starts anew. Has anyone donated for multiple future visits with an masseur offering such an arrangement? Up-front giving the amount for, say, four at one time, with the 5th one free? I did something similar to this with someone who was so wonderful, and it created a problem.

Because of this, I won't do an arrangement like this anymore. In my case, I saw him, gave him the amount for that appointment before it began, Then arranged a "4-pack" which was less expensive than four individual sessions right afterward. He was erroneously counting that first visit which was handled separately as the first of the 4-pack. That fifth massage was deliberately lousy, him because he's thinking I'm trying to get a free massage, and me being in an angry mood because of the misunderstanding.

There's also the massive risk of the provider disappearing, and we're simply screwed out of the donation at that point.

I understand that a service provider might find themselves in need of additional funds for various reasons, prompting them to offer a bundled session package at a discounted rate or include an additional "free" session. However, there are numerous potential pitfalls in such arrangements.

Foremost among these concerns is the risk that the provider may vanish or cease communication, leaving you without the services you've paid for. Additionally, you are likely to be relegated to the lowest priority when scheduling appointments, as paying clients will understandably take precedence. This could result in an increased likelihood of appointment cancellations or no-shows on the provider's part.

Furthermore, there is little incentive for the provider to deliver their best service or allocate the full session time to you when you have already paid. In the case of a package including an extra session, the provider may view this additional session as an obligatory free meeting and treat it as such. This diminishes the likelihood of receiving optimal service.

@JamesB  You have singled out some very excellent points I never even thought of before. And unlike other businesses, if the provider doesn't 'deliver' for whatever reason (or delivers not to the client's liking), the client has no recourse. Will a client report him to the 'consumer protection division' at his AG's Office as he would a personal trainer, gym, car wash etc which also offer such packaged deals ? 

Excellent response from you. 

I understand how it can benefit both provider and client.  The provider obviously gets paid in advance for work yet to be performed.  For the client, typically the cost per session is lower when paying for a number of visits in advance.

I've never done this with a masseur, but I would be willing to do it if I had already hired someone and trusted him.  I did this with a personal trainer who was working out of another trainer's small gym, and it worked out fine.