Gay friendly financial advisor

I am gen x gay man. I started investing in my early thirties - mostly in ETFs, IRAs etc. My elder brother was my advisor. He is straight and financially savvy. In last 8-9 yrs he stopped advising me as my money grew. I work a tech job and make more than he does. 

I have always maxed my 401k contributions and have IRAs. 

As a left brained person, I have zero interest in financial matters. I would rather play piano, watch a movie or do something else than doing spreadsheets. If i were straight, I'd be the wife who leaves all money matters to the husband. But I am gay and on my own. I am getting increasingly worried that I am not managing my money well.

Over last 5-6 years i have relied on robot investment advisors like WealthFront and Betterment. 

Can someone here recommend a gay friendly financial advisor who understands my situation (unattached financially unsavvy gay man who makes a decent income but is not a superwealthy guy) . I live in Northern California. 

6 hours ago, jessmapex said:

I am gen x gay man. I started investing in my early thirties - mostly in ETFs, IRAs etc. My elder brother was my advisor. He is straight and financially savvy. In last 8-9 yrs he stopped advising me as my money grew. I work a tech job and make more than he does. 

As a left brained person, I have zero interest in financial matters. I would rather play piano, watch a movie or do something else than doing spreadsheets. If i were straight, I'd be the wife who leaves all money matters to the husband. But I am gay and on my own. I am getting increasingly worried that I am not managing my money well.

Over last 5-6 years i have relied on robot investment advisors like WealthFront and Betterment. 

Can someone here recommend a gay friendly financial advisor who understands my situation (unattached financially unsavvy gay man who makes a decent income but is not a superwealthy guy) . I live in Northern California. 

Well certainly one can be recommended and some good ones at that.   There may be a licensing  issue  (what state are you located)?.  FINRA requires that any advisor that you chat with needs to be licensed in your state and really with your investment type,  probably Series 7 would be wise.   

That may help in suggesting someone.

Edited by ICTJOCK

I don't think that most reputable financial advisors care about your sexual orientation, only about your financial resources and your objectives. In northern California, it would be hard for any financial advisor to avoid having gay clients, and it would probably be illegal to turn down a client because he was gay. Our financial advisors have always been straight men in the Philadelphia outer suburbs.

Edited by Charlie

11 hours ago, BuffaloKyle said:

I don't really think you need a gay friendly adviser just a good one

2 hours ago, Charlie said:

I don't think that most reputable financial advisors care about your sexual orientation, only

The gay context here is about finding an advisor who is not surprised by a grown man who can not confidently talk about terms such as annuity, equity, money market, asset class etc and does not take advantage of the situation to push investment products that benefit him more than me.

I do have a woman's intuition though. When financially savvy macho men were dancing on the rooftops about their crypto portfolio and NFTs a couple years ago, my intuition told me that there was something fishy about this. I stayed on the sidelines and that saved me some heartburn later.

Edited by jessmapex

22 hours ago, jessmapex said:

The gay context here is about finding an advisor who is not surprised by a grown man who can not confidently talk about terms such as annuity, equity, money market, asset class etc and does not take advantage of the situation to push investment products that benefit him more than me.

I hardly think you need to share a sexuality to have someone understand you're not skilled in finance issues.

These days, any professional in any major city wouldn't bat an eyelash about a gay client, nor would they bat an eyelash that anyone gay or straight (or bi) spends more time focused on their own career than learning about investing.

Edited by pubic_assistance
spelling

I implore you when you hire a financial advisor to go with a fiduciary advisor. Perhaps this is obvious, but since you say you’re worried about having inappropriate financial products pushed on you, this suggests that you’re not aware of the difference. A fiduciary advisor is required by law to act in your best interest (not their own). And they tend to be less expensive anyway. 

On 9/27/2023 at 1:09 AM, jessmapex said:

I have a friend who specialize in financial wellness in the LGBTQ community. He is a CPA by training and independent advisor who worked for a large bank for many years before taking this on. He is not currently taking on new clients, but I will ask him if he knows anyone in Cali - he is based in NYC.  Will PM you. 

Most people who approach him are in the same position as you - they are doing all the “right things”, but would like someone to cast an experienced eye over their finances and point out what they are missing. 

Edited by FrankR

The principles of wise investing are simple to master. The #1 rule is diversification. The money needs to be well spread-out over as many industries and vehicles as possible, and should include both US and international. The #2 rule is to watch the fees. Carefully ask your advisor what his fees are, in addition to those of any investment vehicles. Unmanaged mutual funds and/or ETF's, such as those tied to the S&P 500 achieve both goals: they invest broadly, and they (should) have very low fees or loads (should be well under 0.2%). The #3 rule is to invest according to your time horizon. Any money you're sure you won't need to touch for over 10 years should be invested mostly in stocks. Do NOT sell if the market crashes. If the market crashes, the only move you should consider is moving more bond money into stocks. Money you'll need over 3-10 years should probably be mostly in bonds, with some more conservative investments. If you KNOW you'll need a certain amount of money in 1-2 years (for example, a house purchase), invest that money very securely, such as treasury bills. Most investors discourage annuities, because they usually have high fees. If you still want annuities, your advisor should be able to carefully explain all of the fees involved.

Here are some ETF's with fees under 0.1%:

WWW.FOOL.COM

Find out which index funds tracking the S&P 500 have the lowest fees, highest assets under management, and most closely track the market.

"Fidelity has the lowest costs, with a 0.015% expense ratio. Schwab's is only slightly higher at 0.02%, while the Vanguard 500 Index Fund Admiral Shares has a 0.04% expense ratio..."

Edited by Unicorn

On 9/26/2023 at 10:09 PM, jessmapex said:

I love my investment adviser.   He is straight but I feel completely comfortable with him.  His office is in Millbrae, close to SFO.  I will give you his name if you would like.  PM me. 

• 2 months later...
On 9/26/2023 at 10:09 PM, jessmapex said:

Kudos for asking about selecting the right advisor.

Some folks claim you can't outperform high quality no-load index funds over the long term.

I hired a financial planner after college.  She turned out to be lesbian.  I am very satisfied.  She follows the rules, doesn't let emotions change the strategy, doesn't believe in timing the market and does not get involved in crypto.

So yeah do some research and don't hire anyone that seems driven by emotion.