Latest scam? Middle aged closeted guys on Grindr.

TorontoDrew

While I still get a lot of hot young asian guys hitting me up on Grindr, over the last few days I've had a number of middle aged, closeted guys hitting me up.  There are no discussions of crypto yet but I'm expecting it soon.

Any one else encountered this?

Edited by TorontoDrew

• TorontoDrew changed the title to Latest scam? Middle aged closeted guys on Grindr.

Middle aged closeted guys have been hitting on me since I was 14. I imagine you mean a rather large number of accounts that are raising suspicion. I know little about Grindr, but all of the online media have features that include some kind of AI algorithm that determines what to recommend to you. Happens with most-to-all social media. I personally call it artificial dumbness precisely because I get a number of things that I find rather baffling, but they come from some algorithm. I'm proposing an alternative possibility.

1 hour ago, TorontoDrew said:

While I still get a lot of hot young asian guys hitting me up on Grindr, over the last few days I've had a number of middle aged, closeted guys hitting me up.  There are no discussions of crypto yet but I'm expecting it soon.

Any one else encountered this?

I think the scammers have realized people were recognizing their pattern and changed up their approach for creating fake accounts.  It's pretty dumb since they still follow the same scripts.  

16 minutes ago, DynamicUno said:

I think the scammers have realized people were recognizing their pattern and changed up their approach for creating fake accounts.  It's pretty dumb since they still follow the same scripts.  

With each one they talk about being married, usually with kids.  They always mention being discrete (which someone in that situationwoukd be).

They all ask about my status.  When I trll them I am married to a man the conversations serm to end. 

If it was one or two I wouldn't think anything of it but half a dozen in a couple days is a trend.

As another poster said in a recent thread, this is why I hire.

4 minutes ago, TorontoDrew said:

With each one they talk about being married, usually with kids.  They always mention being discrete (which someone in that situationwoukd be).

They all ask about my status.  When I trll them I am married to a man the conversations serm to end. 

If it was one or two I wouldn't think anything of it but half a dozen in a couple days is a trend.

As another poster said in a recent thread, this is why I hire.

Yeah, there are places where these relationship scammers work in groups to try to lure their marks.  They set up fake accounts, use photos scraped from social media, and share a common set of scripts.  Questions like "for how long have you been on this site" are a dead giveaway.  For a while, posing as servicemen deployed in various places was their favorite story.  Crypto was a new angle recently, but now that the crypto market went bust they are falling back to older scripts.

The usual play is to get someone to talk by text or WhatsApp, and concoct a story about returning home and wanting to meet.  When the time to meet comes close, there will be some "emergency" where they need a small amount of money sent to them.

Once they've gotten a make to sent a little money, there will be an increasingly urgent situation requiring larger amounts, with more elaborate reasons until the victim is tapped out.

3 hours ago, MikeBiDude said:

I feel sorry for any real/honest Asian guy >30 miles from me...bcs I immediately block.

I can immediately tell which Asian guys are the scammers. I receive their DMs at least 10 times a day if I'm on Grindr.

In my experience, they almost always set their age from 36 to 39 -- and they're anywhere from 5'11" to 6'1" tall.

Every. Single. Time. 

Edited by Marc in Calif

3 hours ago, Marc in Calif said:

I can immediately tell which Asian guys are the scammers. I receive their DMs at least 10 times a day if I'm on Grindr.

In my experience, they almost always set their age from 36 to 39 -- and they're anywhere from 5'11" to 6'1" tall.

Every. Single. Time. 

I was about to write about this myself. Always with Chinese names, always same or similar opening lines, always 7 miles away.

many of the guys are drop dead gorgeous. I only wish they were real :)

Another trend I’ve spotted:

Message pops up, cute guy (often posed with a dog), message reads “hey” or “sup”

simple response and they immediately say “pics” and disappear upon receipt. I guess they’re pic collectors mining for other scam profiles.

anyone ever get a message from themself? I haven’t but heard of it happening. Similar to receiving a phone call from your own number. 

Another reason I never downloaded any of these apps. I read a few years ago that a Chinese company bought Grindr, no doubt with ties to the Chinese Ministry of State Security. Then the US demanded that the Chinese owners sell it back to a US group of investors. I’ll simply hire, thank you!