Deposits for in calls.

JamesB

What do you guy think about providers asking for a deposit on in calls?. To me it seems like a red flag. I do understand that some clients cancel at the last minute or just don't show up, but that can also be said about providers. I had one not show up nor answer any texts and all of the sudden, 2 hours after the booked time, texting that he was on his way.
I am very interested in your thoughts on this.

A well respected, well known professional with an excellent reputation to keep and protect would never burn you but I would advise against pre paying a newbie. I know people that aren't looking very hard for new clients and that want to completely eliminate the possibility of a last minute cancellation and flake who  can justify and get away with asking for deposits. 

*this is and always has been a touchy subject and for good cause. Unfortunately, because flakes and scammers are common place theres a good argument for both sides 😕 It really boils down to how much  someone wants to meet someone and how much does said provider need the business... 

Edited by Guest

22 hours ago, Vin_Marco said:

A well respected, well known professional with an excellent reputation to keep and protect would never burn you but I would advise against pre paying a newbie. I know people that aren't looking very hard for new clients and that want to completely eliminate the possibility of a last minute cancellation and flake who  can justify and get away with asking for deposits. 

*this is and always has been a touchy subject and for good cause. Unfortunately, because flakes and scammers are common place theres a good argument for both sides 😕 It really boils down to how much  someone wants to meet someone and how much does said provider need the business... 

Completely agree that there are scammers on both sides of the equation....providers and clients.  Having gotten burned yesterday, I will NEVER do it again. 

33 minutes ago, jazzfan said:

Completely agree that there are scammers on both sides of the equation....providers and clients.  Having gotten burned yesterday, I will NEVER do it again. 

I can't say that I blame you. I'm sorry that happened to you. 
Here's something I don't really tell too many people.... over the years I've saved all the FLAKES and last minute cancellations  information from people I've never met. Here's the thing, they invariably ALWAYS contact me again ( months or years later ) my general rule is not to respond but if for whatever reason I do, I remind them that they didn't keep their commitment in the past and if they would like to meet me they would need to pay me in full prior to exchange for my time... people have agreed and we forget the flaky behavior ever took place or they leave me alone into perpetuity, both which is win win for me. As a result I have a very low cancel ratio and flake ratio because I've adhered to this method. I personally don't have any reason to ask for deposits unless I'm communicating with someone with a flaky history. In 99% of the time,  paying in advance or paying a deposit is probably a bad idea but as I have pointed out, there are times and places for them. 

Edited by Guest