$560M Perelman Performing Arts Center opens near ground zero

samhexum

Gov. Kathy Hochul and Mayor Eric Adams joined former Mayor Mike Bloomberg — one of the project’s key financial backers — for the official ribbon-cutting ceremony Wednesday.

The 138-foot-tall complex, otherwise known as PAC NYC, is encased in nearly 5,000 marble panel tiles that are backlit by chandeliers, allowing for light to radiate in throughout the day and become a glowing beacon at night.

With moveable walls, seats, floor sections and balconies, the 1,000-seat venue can be easily transformed into three principal venues — complete with a total of 62 different stage-and-audience configurations.

Sitting above 13 different MTA subway lines, Bloomberg — who injected $130 million cash into the project — called it an “engineering marvel.”

The opening season’s programming gets underway Tuesday with a five-night concert series focused on the theme of “refuge.”  

PAC NYC’s long-awaited opening comes two decades after the theater complex was first envisioned in a bid to draw people back to the site long-plagued by devastation and mourning.

“The memorial is here for people to come and grieve and pay their respects. The museum is for people to learn, be aware and never forget,” Khady Kamara, PAC NYC’s executive director, said in the lead-up to the unveiling.

“And the Performing Arts Center is here for people to celebrate life and really celebrate the resilience of New Yorkers and of the country.”

The glamorous structure is windowless by design in order to keep the buzz of theatergoers at a respectful distance from those paying tribute at the nearby 9/11 Memorial, architect Joshua Ramus said.

“I didn’t want to treat the memorial like a spectacle,” he said.

The center was built primarily with private donations, including Bloomberg and $75 million investor Ronald Perelman, whom the building is named for.

“There’s never been anything like it in the area, and it’s going to continue fueling the city’s comeback from the pandemic — just as the arts helped fuel our comeback after 9/11,” Bloomberg said in a statement ahead of the opening.

A general view of the Perelman Performing Arts Center   A general view of the Perelman Performing Arts Center

NYPICHPDPICT000039552286.jpg?resize=1024

PAC NYC is the World Trade Center’s newest and final public element.

Edited by samhexum
for absolutely NO @%!*ING reason at all!

• 3 weeks later...

The original architect was Frank Gehry.

What "could" have been….sigh.

WWW.ARCHDAILY.COM

Image 1 of 1 from gallery of Frank Gehry’s Design for Ground Zero Arts Center Shelved. Photograph by...

I hate The Cube, but it’s hard for me to tell if I just can’t separate my hate for Ron Perelman (truly the worst human I have ever met.
And I’ve met some real assholes along the way) from my hate of the design. In fact, I think we should refer to it as the "Tribeca Cube", 
just to piss him off. 

I'd agree that the Brutalist nature of the exterior isn't beautiful, but the interior more than makes up for it.

That Gehry render is actually something I quite like and it shocks me.  I usually dislike Gehry, as 90% of his designs have the same CAD/CATIA feel to them.

This one was different.  It's unfortunate it didn't see the light of day.

2 hours ago, BenjaminNicholas said:

I'd agree that the Brutalist nature of the exterior isn't beautiful....

It's hardly an example of Brutalism in architecture! The hallmarks of Brutalism are undecorated, unadorned concrete or stone. 

The Perelman PAC, on the other hand, has the following decidedly non-Brutalist features:

The building's facade consists of 5,000 panels of veined Portuguese marble. The marble panels were transported to France for lamination, then attached to each other in Germany, and finally exported to the United States where the veins were aligned to match with each other. The panels contain lozenge-shaped patterns and turn an amber color at night. The stone on the facade measures 4.7 inches (12 cm) thick and is covered in glass to reduce energy use and increase security. 

8 hours ago, nycman said:

The original architect was Frank Gehry.

What "could" have been….sigh.

WWW.ARCHDAILY.COM

Image 1 of 1 from gallery of Frank Gehry’s Design for Ground Zero Arts Center Shelved. Photograph by...

I hate The Cube, but it’s hard for me to tell if I just can’t separate my hate for Ron Perelman (truly the worst human I have ever met.
And I’ve met some real assholes along the way) from my hate of the design. In fact, I think we should refer to it as the "Tribeca Cube", 
just to piss him off. 

not dragging this out of subject did you meet him personally? 

o... greenmail was coined because of him, now I remember. 

Edited by marylander1940

15 minutes ago, nycman said:

I assume you’re asking about Perelman, not Gehry.

Yes, our paths have crossed. 

It’s never been a pleasant experience for me or anyone I know. 

exactly, I was remembered the word "greenmail" was coined in the 80's because of his behavior something not uncommon among real and fake millionaires in NYC during that decade. 

we take your word as valid about your interactions with him! Unfortunately his name is part of NYC now. 

Edited by marylander1940

• 3 months later...

Billionaire Ron Perelman has a notorious reputation in NYC. Simply Google his name with Claudia Cohen, Patricia Duff, and Ellen Barkin, among other scandals. XXXXXXXX.  I can't believe he has an entertainment center named after him. What an albatross for the poor building and the artists looking for a venue. He would have been better off giving the money to health care. As for design, it looks like someone didn't know how to lay marbled tiles on a floor and fucked up the grain patterns. Architecture in NYC has taken a serious fall in the last 10-20 years. Some really bad decisions by people with too much money and terrible taste.

• 4 weeks later...