Pina Colada Song

purplekow

If you do not immediately recognize the Pina Colada song, chances are you may not know that personal ads in legitimate magazines was once a thing.  (Is it still?)I was driving home today and this song came on the radio.  Yes very old school listening to a random radio station in my car.  In one lyric it mentions the singer writing a personal ad.  I had a personal ad written for me by a friend once but never actually wrote one for myself.  It was in the New Yorker and I received about 250 replies. 

I am wonder how many here have written personal ads, not for business just a random ad that appeared in print not on line.

Did you get many responses?  Did you get laid?

Edited by purplekow

Yes I once wrote an ad in a printed city wide newspaper in the 1980's under the personal columns section. I gave details of the kind of guy I was looking for, after I had broken up with a boyfriend. I was pretty specific about what I was looking for. And I also said what I was like. 

I got letters from about 20 or so men. I sorted through them and responded to the one I thought fit the bill. We arranged to meet at the b&b he was staying at as he was from out of town. 

I don"t know what I was thinking because I was looking for a boyfriend and someone from a city 2 hours away wasn't ideal. 

Nevertheless I waited breathlessly as this man descended the stairway and came into view. I knew instantly it was a terrible mistake. I went through going out and having dinner with him but somewhere between the first and main course I told him he wasn't the guy I was looking for.

What disappointed me was that he didn't even remotely resemble the sporty type I was looking for, like myself. He was too heavy and sedentary looking to be able to handle the kind of sports I was into at the time.

I was so dejected that I gave up on that approach to meet someone. I think the ad had cost at least $50 or even more. Also I felt he had misled me although maybe he just couldn't see himself objectively.  Lesson learned.

Edited by Luv2play

I like that song (which is actually titled "Escape (The Piña Colada Song)" and also Rupert Holmes' follow up, lower charting hit "Him."  Fun story songs.

I ran personal ads in the San Francisco Bay Times a couple of times.  I think the most responses I ever got was around 20.  I honestly don't remember how many men I met, but I know none of them ever yielded a boyfriend.

Even though personal ads are mostly a thing of the past, I don't think that having a profile on an online dating site is much different apart from the ability to include photos and the immediacy of sending and receiving communications.