Seizures from stress?

tassojunior

My feed scrolled hot Dan Rockwell doing a GoFundMe for his hot brother Davy Michaels. They're the famous MuscleTile tilers in Phoenix (and models). The GFM says his heart stopped and he has multiple cuts from seizures from stress at work. They are two guys as beautiful inside as out. Can just stress actually cause severe seizures? Is this yet another thing to stress about now? 

https://www.instagram.com/davymichael/

Screenshot 2023-08-23 211628.png

Screenshot 2023-08-23 211813.png

Looked up a couple articles on it. By itself stress can't cause seizures for someone who doesn't have a risk for them. But for a person who already experiences seizures it raises the chance and likelihood due to the wear and tear stress does on the body.

WWW.VERYWELLHEALTH.COM

Can stress cause seizures? Learn about seizures, distinguishing the differences between seizures and pseudoseizures, and the impacts of stress.

Edited by BuffaloKyle

I'm not going to send someone money just because he's handsome. If he wants my money, in the words of the immortal RuPaul, he'd better work! 

As for stress, it doesn't specifically set off seizures, though fatigue/tiredness does lower the seizure threshold, so if the stress prevents sleep, sure. Of course, any new seizure needs a thorough evaluation. In particular, seizures are often the first sign of a brain tumor. 

From first symptoms to diagnosis: Initial clinical presentation of primary brain  tumors - B Alther, V Mylius, M Weller, AR Gantenbein, 2020

JOURNALS.SAGEPUB.COM

Edited by Unicorn

20 hours ago, BuffaloKyle said:

Looked up a couple articles on it. By itself stress can't cause seizures for someone who doesn't have a risk for them. But for a person who already experiences seizures it raises the chance and likelihood due to the wear and tear stress does on the body.

WWW.VERYWELLHEALTH.COM

Can stress cause seizures? Learn about seizures, distinguishing the differences between seizures and pseudoseizures, and the impacts of stress.

I would imagine age would also heighten risk for stress seizures. (not that i know any old people). 

I have had two seizures in my life, both of which were caused by physical stress.  The first was brought on by pulling an all-nighter in grad school (having had no known seizure activity prior or frankly even knowledge of what a seizure was); the second was brought on three years later by a 24-hour virus that left me dehydrated.  I am now on an anti-seizure med and haven’t had one since, though the med has caused me to prematurely bald. 😔

16 hours ago, ShortCutie7 said:

... the med has caused me to prematurely bald...

Don't be so sure it's the medication. 😉

hqdefault.jpg

The translation from Hindi states "Masturbation causes baldness." Note: this is just a joke. (Valproate, lamotrigine, and carbamazepine are associated with hair loss)

"...Most studies in the medical literature of ASM-induced alopecia are with three drugs – valproic acid, carbamazepine and lamotrigine.   The rest of the anticonvulsants are uncommonly reported in the literature as causes of hair loss..."

On 8/25/2023 at 1:44 PM, Unicorn said:

Don't be so sure it's the medication. 😉

hqdefault.jpg

The translation from Hindi states "Masturbation causes baldness." Note: this is just a joke. (Valproate, lamotrigine, and carbamazepine are associated with hair loss)

"...Most studies in the medical literature of ASM-induced alopecia are with three drugs – valproic acid, carbamazepine and lamotrigine.   The rest of the anticonvulsants are uncommonly reported in the literature as causes of hair loss..."

I’m aware that it’s very rare; my neurologist said the same thing!  But it’s the only possible explanation when I started to get a prominent bald spot at 25yo a few months after starting the meds, while every man on both sides of my family has always had a full head of hair (my grandpa died at 91 with a full head of hair, my dad and all of my uncles in their late 60s have full heads of hair, etc).  It’s my one good gene lol.