MAUI - Farewell, Lovely Banyan

jeezifonly

On 8/9/2023 at 1:16 PM, jeezifonly said:

Lahaina On Fire

Many of us have visited Maui, the Valley Isle, and if you know locals, you may want to check in, though communications may be down.

Check your favorite resource for news for updates. 

Heartbreaking loss to the state and native communities. 

Horrifying the amount of damage from these fires~ Lahaina is unrecognizable~ Perhaps an opportunity for the indigenous to reclaim and bring the future of the island back to their own vision~ 

Edited by Tygerscent

14 hours ago, Tygerscent said:

Horrifying the amount of damage from these fires~ Lahaina is unrecognizable~ Perhaps an opportunity for the indigenous to reclaim and bring the future of the island back to their own vision~ 

I hope you’re right, Tyger. 
The amount of money required just to rebuild housing will be huge, and my fear is that private investment into the community will come from deep pockets with strings. The banyan still stands, and Aloha must prevail. 

On 8/11/2023 at 11:23 AM, MikeBiDude said:

The famous Banyan in happier times. I heard another news report last night that there was some hope in saving this iconic tree. I have many, many memories here.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CvyDIaDpro3/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Thanks for posting this.  It has the website address for HCF Maui Strong to make a donation.

HCF-logo-meta-tag.jpg
WWW.HAWAIICOMMUNITYFOUNDATION.ORG

Maui Strong

• 2 months later...
On 8/12/2023 at 12:11 AM, Tygerscent said:

A good start at least!

WWW.CIVILBEAT.ORG

State and federal historic preservationists agree that Lahaina's historic sector can be rebuilt.