hotels montreal?

LarryB

hey guys....little help please! i'm considering a trip to montreal and wondering about hotels...speciafcally has anyone stayed at Hotel Gouverneur lately? It was so convenient as proximity to stock bar and campus was only 10 minute walk.  I can't seem to find much online, but wondering if it's still operating?

The Hotel Gouverneur is now the Hyatt Place Downtown.  My partner and I stayed there last July and September.  I has been totally renovated.  Will be staying there again this  year.  Here's some comments I posted at that time.

The overall décor is modern and I found it cold but not unpleasant.  The mezzanine is very nice.  Excellent free computers and printer so it was a snap to check in with the airline and print boarding passes. 

The breakfast area is the same as the old Gouveneur.  Buffet breakfast is good with lots of options and free.

We had booked a king bed on a high floor.  The room was unfinished. Closet unfinished, no safe.  Requested a change of room.  Got a two queen bed on the 20th floor.  It was good.  Certainly much better than the Gouveneur when it was on its last legs.

At check in requested daily service so we could get fresh towels daily.  Service was very good.

Design flaws:

Light in the bathroom is around the mirror and it is impossible to see to shave. If the designer is male  he should be forced to try to shave in it and if female should be forced to try to but on makeup.
The handle that turns on the shower regulates both the flow and the hot water so when you get in you need to stay out of the way until you can turn the handle to warm.  Water pressure is very good.
The safe is set so low in the closet you have to get down on you knees the access it.
Door to the closet and bathroom is a sliding door and you need to be careful that when your coming out of the bathroom you don't slide the door into you partner who is accessing the closet.

I can only offer that the old Goveurner (sp), now Hyatt, is in an incredibly convenient location....I stayed there in 2016 and liked being able to walk St Catherine right outside the door (it was January and I easily dodged those sleeping on the sidewalk heat grates).....there was/is access out the "back door" of the hotel to a great indoor mall with a full-size grocery store and other food options.......the "747" bus to the airport has a stop right across the park from the hotel....highly recommended, but is probably much pricier now than the old Goveurner (sp)!!.....

covid and all may have changed things I said above since my visit!

Edited by azdr0710

I used to stay at Le Gouveneur and dsspite its age and the flaws that went with it, before the pandemic it was a great value in many respects. The Hyatt that is the new incarnation is a lot more expensive.

If you want to try another hotel which I have used extensively in the last three years try the Omni-Mont Royal. Along with everything you have at the Hyatt, there is a gym with indoor Jacuzzi and outdoor pool, you can swim from one to the other though a tunnel.

It has a very nice bar on the main floor and nice breakfast room. but not included in the price. Also valet parking on premises which Hyatt doesn't offer. Although there is a connected parking lot underground but you have to lug your bags a considerable distance.

For the money you save you can Uber for about $10 to the stripper bars in the Village. 

Another thing about the Omni is that is situated at the eastern end of the fashionable part of Sherbrooke St. and strolling west from there is the nicest part of downtown Montreal. Art galleries, upscale boutiques, historic churches and the Ritz Hotel; its called the golden mile. And great restaurants and bars you can walk to. 

What's depressing about the neighbourhood where the Hyatt is located are the druggies and panhandlers who you will confront the moment you exit the hotel and walk in any direction. In my younger days I could put up with it but now, not so much. Downtown you won't see any of that. And the streets are clean and safe day and night.

Edited by Luv2play

1 hour ago, SirBillybob said:

747 now departs from platform 15 in the bus station at Berri-UQAM. On it this minute.

But pardon me, one of the formal pick up spots to YUL still exists at Hyatt, Hubert/StCath, as before. The bus station is sheltered, however. 

I like the Hôtel Monville.

Reasonable rates for a fashionable hotel.

Centrally located downtown. Walking distance from the old-town Young, stylish/attractive crowd.

Rooms are on the small side but beautifully appointed to compensate. (After all you spend most of your time in bed anyway..so who needs lots of floorspace).

Nice breakfast bar / and roof top lounge and a cute room-service-robot you can ask to bring you stuff 24/7 via an app on your phone.

https://www.hotelmonville.com/en/?utm_source=google-local&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=gmb

Edited by pubic_assistance
punctuation

• 1 month later...

I have never stayed there. I usually stay at the Le Robertvall Hotel because of its proximity to the  Stockbar and Campus. It's like 5 minutes walk to Campus, It's an apartment turned into a hotel. Most of the rooms come with a balcony, and if  you're a VIP member (like me), you get a lot of perks. Also, there are side entrances to the buildings (Use key to get in), in case you don't want to use the main front desk entrance when inviting dates or strippers to your room.