Is recreational vaping good or bad?

marylander1940

_129564772_gettyimages-513090993-1.jpg
WWW.BBC.COM

The government says vaping has become a huge epidemic, particularly affecting young people.

In a world where cigarette smoking has declined in the las two decades since it was banned in public places in NYC, vaping is surprisingly on the rise. 6 million adults in the USA do it daily but perhaps most alarming, over 2.5 million high school and middle school students also vape on a daily basis.

Good or Bad in what context?  If your concern is health, then this is best suited for the Men's Health page.  If your concern is it Good or Bad manners, then I will say that I am shocked by how many employees of companies I do business with sneak puffs of their vaping device during a conversation with me.  If they can't put it down for a two minute conversation, then I think it is "bad".

I'm a former smoker who vapes now. From what we know, vaping is far safer than smoking. For myself, when I quit smoking I had a permanent wheeze and struggled with my cardio. Since switching, I have no wheezing, have started running and vaping doesn't stink or risk passing on second hand smoke to people. Overall, I'm for harm reduction. If people can get their nicotine from vaping, we should encourage that over smoking. The hard press against vaping (which is funded by cigarette manufacturers) is counter-productive. 

6 hours ago, KensingtonHomo said:

I'm a former smoker who vapes now. From what we know, vaping is far safer than smoking. For myself, when I quit smoking I had a permanent wheeze and struggled with my cardio. Since switching, I have no wheezing, have started running and vaping doesn't stink or risk passing on second hand smoke to people. Overall, I'm for harm reduction. If people can get their nicotine from vaping, we should encourage that over smoking. The hard press against vaping (which is funded by cigarette manufacturers) is counter-productive. 

You argument "sort of" works if you’re substituting vaping for smoking.

Unfortunately in most cases, we’re getting just adding vaping to the pile of harmful addictions. 

Just now, nycman said:

Unfortunately in most cases, we’re getting just adding vaping to the pile of harmful addictions. 

Not really. There isn't yet evidence that vaping is harmful, aside from people buying crazy shit on the Internet. I'm not saying it's 100% but a) humans have been using mind and body-altering substances since before agriculture and b) unless someone's substance use interferes with their ability to function, I don't see it as harmful. The most recent research on addiction suggests is largely due to stress and trauma, not physical addiction as previously thought. 

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, marylander1940 said:

Should vaping be allowed or not in public places? 

To answer your question, I don't mind as long as it's not indoors and in close quarters, such as at a theater/opera, or on a plane. Someone doing it at another table in a restaurant wouldn't bother me. As for the video, it's misleading. The video makes it look as though she was kicked out with no warning, and just for vaping. The truth was quite different:

WWW.WASHINGTONPOST.COM

“I plead guilty to laughing and singing too loud!” the congresswoman tweeted after the incident at Denver’s Buell Theatre. Her campaign denied a vaping accusation.

"... Kitts told the Denver Gazette that Boebert and her guest were booted after “numerous complaints” from fellow patrons about inappropriate behavior.... 

“I informed them that our usher team had noticed vaping and also that they were causing a disturbance for the area with noise, singing, using their cell phone, and that they need to be respectful to their neighbors,” an official wrote in the report. “Since, there was [sic] already multiple complaints, I informed the patrons that if there was another issue that they would be asked to leave.”

That’s when Boebert and her guest became “argumentative,” saying “they were in concert with everyone around them,” the report says. Five minutes later, theater officials got another report that the pair were being loud and recording the performance, according to the report. That’s when officials told Boebert and the man to leave...".

I would prefer that someone vape than make noise and use her cell phone during a performance, although obviously none of that would be appropriate in a theater. She's just a sociopathic bitch who thinks she's above the law and better than others. 

-

Edited by Unicorn

On 5/15/2023 at 11:17 AM, KensingtonHomo said:

Since switching, I have no wheezing, have started running and vaping doesn't stink or risk passing on second hand smoke to people. 

Do we know that there is no risk in passing on harmful effects to others in the presence of vapers?  Is this a proven fact?  What is in the vapor that is released from a vape-pen?

On 5/15/2023 at 5:33 PM, KensingtonHomo said:

There isn't yet evidence that vaping is harmful, aside from people buying crazy shit on the Internet. 

Is this true?  I remember several years ago there were multiple reports in the news on a condition referred to as "vaper's lung".  Hospitals and doctors were seeing young people coming in with compromised lung function due to vaping.  Is that not an actual thing?

59 minutes ago, EZEtoGRU said:

Do we know that there is no risk in passing on harmful effects to others in the presence of vapers?  Is this a proven fact?  What is in the vapor that is released from a vape-pen?

I agree,   I'd rather pass on the whole damn thing.

1 hour ago, EZEtoGRU said:

Is this true?  I remember several years ago there were multiple reports in the news on a condition referred to as "vaper's lung".  Hospitals and doctors were seeing young people coming in with compromised lung function due to vaping.  Is that not an actual thing?

I think you're recalling the hysteria over "popcorn lung" in teenagers. While some teenagers did get irreparable lung damage it wasn't from using FDA-reviewed vaping products like Juul. Rather, they were ordering marijuana and other illicit types of vaping juice online. I suspect this died down as more places legalized recreational weed. 

I wouldn't say vaping it harmless. But, thus far, it seems to be far less harmful than cigarette smoking. 

23 hours ago, EZEtoGRU said:

I'm somewhat confused by the thread title and then the whole context of this discussion.  How can recreational vaping be considered "good" under any scenario?

Obviously, it's not "good," but it might be better than traditional burn & smoke. I have asthma, so if someone smokes a cigarette near me, it makes me hack and cough. That doesn't happen when someone vapes near me. Of course, to the person vaping, nicotine is still carcinogenic, artery-damaging, and lung-damaging. I suspect vaping is probably less likely to cause COPD, but, as far as I know, there have been no comparison studies. To the person vaping, vaping nicotine is almost as dumb as smoking (most smokers die of coronary (heart) artery disease or strokes, anyway. As a non-user with sensitive lungs, I'd rather someone vape near me than smoke near me. 

This string also reminds me of a study, published in JAMA about a dozen years ago if I recall, in which smokers who were in the cardiac ICU were randomized to either placebo patches or nicotine patches. At the time, they theorized that nicotine patches might decrease anxiety and therefore could have a benefit. The study was quickly stopped by the oversight (human subject protection) committee when the data showed that those on the nicotine patches were dying at twice the rate of those on the placebo patches. Nicotine is a killer no matter how it gets into the bloodstream.