Maybe even California theater-goers have had enough of wokeness

In January, I expressed some disappointment over the woke production of Oklahoma! (as did my fiance). Over the last month, the same theater (Ahmanson) has been showing a woke production of the patriotic work 1776 in which not one of the founding fathers is a white man (essentially all women). I met someone at a party on Sunday who said the theater was almost half-empty, and I've received e-mails and phone calls offering me discounts on the few remaining productions. The man I met on Sunday said he also got it at a discount on some bidding site. Maybe they'll get the message? 😉

14 hours ago, Unicorn said:

Maybe they'll get the message?

They won’t.

They’ll go bankrupt, blame "the man", and then go looking for (and most likely get) a government handout.
All the while getting praise for their "brave", and "important" work….that no one wants to see.

Edited by nycman

7 hours ago, glennnnn said:

Imho.....1776 was & is a loser no matter who plays in it.

I love that musical. I would have gone but for the false narrative. 

14 hours ago, purplekow said:

Is John Adams a lesbian in view of the love letters to Abigail playing such a large part in the play?

Yes, I wondered about that. Also, I wondered about Thomas Jefferson and Martha, another prominent character who sings a beautiful aria. Much I was curious about how this was handled, and how much I loved the music, I felt this production was disrespectful to our founding fathers, who risked their lives challenging the king, and I didn't want to support this disrespect. 

Edited by Unicorn

Last night, we attended Hairspray at the Dolby Theater, and it was a full house. I should note that the Ahmanson Theater seats just over 2000, and the Dolby Theater 3400. Other people feel the same way I do, I might surmise. Great production.

5 hours ago, Lucky said:

Such huge auditoriums make for a lesser experience. At least compared to New York or London theaters. The Pantages in LA is the worst, or so I think.

I really like the Dolby. It used to be that the Broadway In Hollywood alternated between the Dolby and Pantages. We were sorry to note that in the coming 23-24 season, all of the productions will be shown at the Pantages. The Pantages is a handsome theater, but definitely not as comfortable as the Dolby. The Dolby's a bit bigger. Maybe they had trouble filling all of the seats for some productions?

Dolby:

Dolby Theatre - Event Space in Los Angeles, CA | The VendryP

Pantages:

Pantages Theatre | Broadway in Hollywood