Man, it's slim pickins' in New Orleans...

lanyc

I think of New Orleans as comparative to Las Vegas in many ways -- cities very oriented toward tourism, partying, a general lack of sexual restraint among residents and guests and all that entails. And I've also thought NOLA was surprisingly lacking in the number of providers given its party town status and general accepting atmosphere. So I've looked up some stats.

Population of New Orleans: 376,971
Population of Las Vegas: 646,790

Population of New Orleans metro area: 1.26 million
Population of Las Vegas metro area: 2.23 million

Number of visitors to New Orleans in 2019: 19.76 million
Number of visitors to Las Vegas in 2019: 42.5 million

Number of pages of providers in New Orleans on RM: 2
Number of pages of providers in Las Vegas on RM: 9

Based on these figures, it stands to reason Las Vegas would have more providers than New Orleans. But while Vegas generally doubles NOLA on residential population and triples it on visitors, more or less, Vegas outstrips NOLA on providers, with 4.5 times more. I, too, wonder what's going on there. 

And don't think critical mass of population crossing some threshold can explain it all either.

Palm Springs has 8 pages of providers on RM and it has a population of 46,000 in the town and 487,000 in the metro and 14 million metro visitors in 2019. So there are factors at play beyond sheer numbers. For the population, Palm Springs beats them both.

Edited by Decatur Guy