Montserrat Caballe

Italiano

On 4/21/2023 at 5:31 AM, nycman said:

Anyone not afraid to stand on stage and belt next to Freddie Mercury, is a Queen in my book. 

I saw their debut recital of this one evening at the Royal Opera House. She’d sung several arias solo earlier. 

On 4/21/2023 at 7:20 AM, Bargara Leatherboy said:

an absolute operatic treasure 

I agree (and I was lucky enough to see her perform on stage many times). Certainly she was viewed as that in Catalonia. I was once at Barcelona airport when she came off a flight, and I was staggered by the public response on sighting her.

• 3 months later...

It was the steely quality of Caballe's voice that never appealed to me.  Also in the Bel Canto repertory she lacked the notes above High-C. She made studio recordings of Lucia di Lammermoor and I Puritani without the High-Ds and High-E flats that we got from Callas, Sutherland, and Sills.  Yes, I do love the thrill of sustained high notes.

That said, I can appreciate the elegance of her phrasing, the phenomenal breath control, and the high pianissimo notes. The ease with which she ascends to the High-C in "O patria mia" from Aida has never been matched.

Her daughter tried a singing career but didn't get very far.