Julian Sands is missing

samhexum

3 hours ago, Unicorn said:

No, he altered his prior post, which was a response to my query in which he said point-blank that Sands was not alone, which, in turn, was a response to my posting of the photo of the sign at the start of the trail which warns not to hike alone. His post which now starts with "my focus is great concern" previously stated that he was hiking with a guide. That, in turn, was a response to my asking how he knew Sands was not alone in a previous post of his.  

Even more deceptively, he then added in a later post "Julian was alone with a guide," contradicting both of his previous postings in which he asserted Sands was not alone. I don't think I've seen such contemptible attempts to obfuscate facts in all of my years on this message center. 

@Unicorn

WOW

Julian Sands is alone with only a guide. I didn't read the sign  because I haven't been in California for in around fifteen years

Period

Edited by WilliamM

I know personally several experienced hikers who have acknowledged that learning about these isolated tragedies on the trail (weather, falls, animal attacks) …) will not deter them from their passion to hike, to be alone with nature. Probably, the experienced Mr Sands was of similar mindset. After this amount of time, he is either dead or has successfully disappeared himself, the former more likely

If I am understanding the reports correctly, the search parties looking for Julian Sands have been finding other lost hikers in the process.  But no sign of Sands.  When I lived in BC I remember that hikers would periodically go missing during winter excursions, and sadly, many would only be recovered after the snow melted in the spring.  I have a sinking feeling the same fate has befallen Sands.

11 hours ago, CuriousByNature said:

... hikers would periodically go missing during winter excursions, and sadly, many would only be recovered after the snow melted in the spring....

I agree. The trail is steep and narrow, and I suspect he slid down the mountain and that his corpse will be found, likely in the Spring when the snow has melted. When they find him, I'd be curious to find out if he even had appropriate equipment such as crampons, ice axe, etc. Even if a person were to go alone, which is not recommended, I'd think a personal locator beacon would be another essential piece of equipment. I hope he at least didn't suffer a prolonged death. What a nightmare that would be. 😢

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/27/2023 at 1:39 AM, jeezifonly said:

I know personally several experienced hikers who have acknowledged that learning about these isolated tragedies on the trail (weather, falls, animal attacks) …) will not deter them from their passion to hike, to be alone with nature. Probably, the experienced Mr Sands was of similar mindset. After this amount of time, he is either dead or has successfully disappeared himself, the former more likely

As someone whose idea of enjoying the great outdoors is having a drink at a sidewalk table, it boggles my mind that anyone would go hiking alone in such extreme weather and difficult terrain.  But obviously Julian Sands is a very different person.  What I see as suicide, he considers adventure. 

We all take risks, some of which others might consider crazy.  I heard that some guys contact a total stranger over the Internet, invite him into their homes, and then actually pay him for sex -- sex! with a total stranger!! for money!!!  Crazy, right?

1 hour ago, BSR said:

As someone whose idea of enjoying the great outdoors is having a drink at a sidewalk table, it boggles my mind that anyone would go hiking alone in such extreme weather and difficult terrain.  But obviously Julian Sands is a very different person.  What I see as suicide, he considers adventure. 

We all take risks, some of which others might consider crazy.  I heard that some guys contact a total stranger over the Internet, invite him into their homes, and then actually pay him for sex -- sex! with a total stranger!! for money!!!  Crazy, right?

I’m not outdoorsy myself, so it’s not a passion I relate to. I mean, I would never think of connoitering with HotMountainTop on a mountain top, no matter the weather. 

4 hours ago, WilliamM said:

...He was likely at peace 

Yikes. Your assumption reminds me of what vegans imagine animals' lives and deaths are like in the wild. Too much time spent watching Disney cartoons.

How Many Of These Disney Animals Can You Identify?

55 Making Bed Drawing Illustrations & Clip Art - iStock

One can only hope that his death was quick, and especially that he didn't suffer with broken bones, unable to move for prolonged periods while suffering from element exposure or dehydration. I shudder to imagine the possibilities. 

Sandy man survives fall down icy mountainside | KSL.com

54 minutes ago, Unicorn said:

Yikes. Your assumption reminds me of what vegans imagine animals' lives and deaths are like in the wild. Too much time spent watching Disney cartoons.

How Many Of These Disney Animals Can You Identify?

55 Making Bed Drawing Illustrations & Clip Art - iStock

One can only hope that his death was quick, and especially that he didn't suffer with broken bones, unable to move for prolonged periods while suffering from element exposure or dehydration. I shudder to imagine the possibilities. 

Sandy man survives fall down icy mountainside | KSL.com

I've read that death from cold exposure can be quite peaceful, and the conditions that weekend were colder than normal from what I remember.  So hopefully his ending was without panic or fear.

• 3 months later...

From the Los Angeles Times last night:

Authorities recovered human remains Saturday in the Mt. Baldy wilderness near the search area for actor Julian Sands, who has been missing for more than five months.
Hikers around Mt. Baldy discovered a body around 10 a.m. and notified authorities, according to a statement from the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department. 
The body was transported from the wilderness to the county coroner’s office for formal identification this week, the statement said. No other details were available. 
Sands, a British actor who appeared in “Room With a View,” “Warlock” and “The Killing Fields,” has been missing since Jan. 13. 

On 2/28/2023 at 11:58 AM, CuriousByNature said:

I've read that death from cold exposure can be quite peaceful, and the conditions that weekend were colder than normal from what I remember.  So hopefully his ending was without panic or fear.

The area had a snowstorm at the time he went missing.  His chances looked bad.  But he met his end doing something he loved.

• 1 month later...

Today's (August 11th) Los Angeles Times finally came out with a detailed article, explaining in depth the foolishness with which the late actor appeared to have behaved when he went out in January:

get_image.aspx?w=280&eid=f2861b0b-e711-4
ENEWSPAPER.LATIMES.COM

Los Angeles Times - 08/11/2023

clipping.jpg

clipping.jpg

This seems like a tragic loss which could have easily been prevented. The article said his bones were scattered, perhaps by cougars, bears, or coyotes. 

Edited by Unicorn